• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shepherd's crook cornet: Tone advantage or hype?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: 36A vs 38A Reply with quote

I used to own a Connstelation and liked it, but, that was a wholly different sounding horn than my latest 'acquisition'. That is, if my ancient memory is telling me the truth.

OLDLOU>>
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really unique opportunity in 2002 to compare the Wild Thing "American" cornet (a classic "long bell" type) with the Wild Thing Short cornet (a shepherd's crook type).

Flip Oakes explained to me that BOTH horns used the same valve assembly. Both horns also had their bells made on the same mandrel, though (of course) bent differently. Both had the same bore. Both had the same valve slide lengths (of course). Naturally, the way the tubing was "wrapped" was different though.

HOWEVER . . . both horns had a different blow and SOUNDED different too. One brighter and more projecting . . . the other sweet, mellow and warmer.

The differences were quite apparent to both listener AND player.

Yup . . . there are differences. The way horns are wrapped and shaped does affect their sound.

T.
Asian Man
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? That is so interesting about Flip's Cornets! It does answer the original question while other posters did post good points about other manufactures. I'm really curious about the two Yamaha student model Cornets, long and short. The long has a 5 1/8" bell and a larger throat compared to a Trumpet. The Short has the standard 4 3/4" bell.

I am still borrowing that Student Holton long cornet, which Yamaha makes for them, and it sounds great. It has the same specs as the long student Yamaha. I wonder how their sounds would compare with the bell difference.
7 rims (Curry)
www.myspace.com/whistlingbarofsoap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "take" on all this comes down to the player, the mouthpiece and the "sound concept".

I purposely try to establish my own sound (never emulating others). I play other instruments (beside horns), and endeavor to do the same on them. I've been told (by my peers) my sound on guitar is "distinctive", which is satisfying to me, as there are millions-upon-millions of guitar players "out there".

I have several Cornets, as being discussed here (including one I swapped to OLDLOU). Among those are several Conn 28A's, a New York Strad, a couple vintage Blessing Super-Artists, a 1930's King SilverTone SC, several vintage Martin Committees and Imperials (Handcrafts and later). The oldest is an early 20th Century J.W. Pepper ( the more desired "Maker" -- not "Import") SC.

On the early J.W. Pepper, for example ... I approach the instrument with a specific idea as to the "sound concept" I strive for. Almost always, a vintage "cookie-cutter" (deep V-cup) mouthpiece is appropriate. Likewise, the 1930's King SilverTone SC.

This is pretty straight-forward stuff ... sorta the "no-brainer"-department.

The Conn 28A, simply the most versatile Bb horn on the planet (aside from my odd "Flumpetly-Thing"), effectively spans just about all tonal-spectrums of the Bb horns. One must be very adventuresome and experiment with the vast array of Cornet mouthpieces (and also, French Horn mpc's, which can be utilized with a little ingenuity). The results are greatly rewarding. The veritable "Swiss Army Knife" of Bb horns.

I suppose if there was a digital audio "sound-print" of the various Cornets, the true Shepherd's Crook horn would have a different "reading" than a long-Cornet with the same mouthpiece. The sound-spread / projection parameters would differ, as well.

I think (?) the Shepherd's Crook Cornets do more to inspire a different tonal "sound-concept", in their own right.

** Someday, I gotta try plugging a "cookie-cutter" mpc into a Conch-shell . Watch-out, Gheorghe Zamfir, Damian Draghici !!!

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Robt. Rowe Reply with quote

Welcome back!!!!!!!! You have been missed.

OLDLOU>>
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Robt. Rowe Reply with quote

oldlou wrote:

OLDLOU>>

Thanks, Lou.
"Smoke" (my cat) seems to agree.

BTW -- how's "That Blue Thing" of yours?

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Robt. Rowe Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
oldlou wrote:

OLDLOU>>

Thanks, Lou.
"Smoke" (my cat) seems to agree.

BTW -- how's "That Blue Thing" of yours?

Yogi Robt

Just as much of a nuisance as ever, but, I am still enamored of him.

OLDLOU>>
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Smoke" terrorizes the neighborhood. No dogs are safe (and there are some large ones).

They say some animals take on the personality of their masters / owners (?). I hope not ... but, this could be the case.

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Smoke Reply with quote

Are you implying that you as his owner have a propensity for terrifying the 'dogs' in your neighborhood?

Hey I just 'acquired' one of the finest playing cornets I have yet found. This one is a 'KEEPER" . A Conn Concert Grand 36A. Even Christine has never seen one. Have you?

OLDLOU>>
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoke Reply with quote

oldlou wrote:
Are you implying that you as his owner have a propensity for terrifying the 'dogs' in your neighborhood?

Hey I just 'acquired' one of the finest playing cornets I have yet found. This one is a 'KEEPER" . A Conn Concert Grand 36A. Even Christine has never seen one. Have you?

OLDLOU>>

I avoid "dogs" (of all kinds).

I think (?) I recall a 36A Concert Grand a few years ago, on eBay. Didn't persue it, though.

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoke Reply with quote

I avoid "dogs" (of all kinds).

You and me both,, brother. I found out the hard way that the human female sort do indeed bite ferociously and with zero provocation in many cases.

OLDLOU>>
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Have you ever had a chance to compare the 36A to a 38A?

I owned both of them and I can say that the 38A is a cornet, the 36A is a trumpet with a cornet receiver. The sound is a LITTLE smoother than the 38B (the trumpet) but if you push hard there's no real difference with the 38A... The 36A is more versatile, you can have 3 instruments in one just by changing the mouthpiece: a "british cornet" (let's say it: a REAL CORNET...), an "american cornet" (let's say is again: a trumpet a little easier to play...) and a trumpet. Change the cup depth (and SHAPE!!!) and you don't need to buy 3 different instruments...
Why I sold them? The best "british" sound I could get out of a Conn 36A is not as good as the one I can get out of a Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt (or the Taylor Orpheus I'm planning to buy...). The trumpetish sound of the 36A (or the 38A) doesn't even get close to the one I can get from my Taylor Chicago Custom (or X-Lite).
Not that I die if I don't have that sound but, hey... we are trumpet players!!!

Trumpets and mouthpieces: the ones I make
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrection of a very old thread because it had comments from people I don't ever read here these days. Also, because there is information that comes up these days occasionally and I think it makes for a great read.

I was playing around today using a Curry TF mouthpiece with a nice trumpet I just acquired. Doesn't matter what kind. I was trying to mellow out the sound for soft ballad play. Not quite a flugelhorn sound, but just a soulful and mellow embrace to the tunes.

Then I pulled out the shepherd's crook cornet with a Wick no letter mouthpiece. The ability to push for more sound and not lose the mellow wonderfulness was fantastic. I think the shepherd's crook needs more attention. What do you think?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shepherd crook cornet + Wick B = power
Shepherd crook cornet + Wick no-letter = mellowness
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can se in my signature I play trumpet, long American Cornet and the British shepherds Crook cornet.

I think there is more then just fullness, brighter to darker sound to this.

To me my Sovereign cornet (shepherd's crook) has a certain SWEETNESS to it that I can not achieve with my Conn 80A, no matter what mouthpiece I use or what sound concept I follow. .

Talking about sound concept. For me, my sound concept for my shepherd's crook cornet is to sound like David Daws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRbTw9w6e2U

No way that I can ever sound like that on my Conn 80 A. On my Sovereign cornet I come close.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who's getting back into trumpet after 30+ yrs with a 'fresh' perspective... I'm thinking that I actually like the sound of cornet better!!

Have been thing about picking up a 'shorty' with a crook!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quote from the "Wayback Machine."

Quote:
I'm with thedevilsbad on this. Jazz isn't about the horn as much as it is about the player.

I have a newly acquired old B&H Sovereign. I know it is a vintage horn and not within the constraints of the OP's question but, with a Wick 4 it is a great sounding instrument for small club jazz.

veery

It's from this discussion:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90041&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Conn 22B Trumpet
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find a cornet more forgiving to play then the trumpet
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the greats here. And what a sweet sound Bobby gets. Oh my.

Link

Conn 22B Trumpet
bunny
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Hackett played many many different cornets (and some trumpets) in his long career. Always instantly recognizable.
Here is an interesting read from another great cornetist:

http://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/bonus-content/lamps-and-cornets-jim-cullum-jr

Beware- French Besson cornets can be addictive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: