• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pre-War Besson?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott42486
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Pre-War Besson? Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm one of those people that gets curious and asks questions, and I've been curious about these for a while. I know that Doc played on one for a while, and thats what most of his horns are based off of, and Rafael Mendez played one, and his horn was based off it.
So these pre-war bessons... what serial numbers are they? And what models? i.e. whats on the bell? Is there anything particular to look for? Also, seeing as I haven't played on one, what makes them so special?
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "Besson Saga" and you'll find a lot of history on Besson, both French and English.
Apparently once upon a time these trumpets were special enough for Bach, Benge, Calicchio, and probably others to try and clone them.
My guess would be that the clones (the better ones anyway) are superior to the original.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre-war Besson Meha's are highly sought after. Donald Byrd played one in the late 50s. Nice sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: