• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many people can actually play above high C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Livingston
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read these posts with envy. I need to practice more; I'm at the point where I can hit the G just over the staff solidly, and now and then can squeak out a high C (2 ledger lines.) But I don't count anything that isn't musical, controlled, and with a full sound.
hornblatt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough I once had solid (and I do know what I'm talking about) range up to a high F. I never had it at above mf or so but i did sound good up there. That was when I was (don't kill me) in 8th and 9th grade..... Sadly I slacked off on my high range work and now a few years later barely have a consistant D or Eb. I never see myself becoming a lead player or really anything that needs range much higher than that but I am doing my best to work it up again. The second trumpet at my school has solid range up to an F# or so. Needless to say he plays lead in our big band.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can play a triple C on my good days but never would want to. I do feel like playing musically up double C's sometimes. I also wish sometimes I didn't have the range and didn't "abuse" it as much as I do.

I've switched to bigger equipment (Wedge 3B) but still can play above DHC.

Chet Baker survived without much range. So did Blue Mitchell, etc. Range is no longer my motive for practicing. Producing the most interesting, complex, beautiful, and shimmering sound is. I doubt I'll ever get it!

Cheers,

T

PS: And another thing: I had a Double C in 9th grade. Truth be told I have no idea how I got it (other than practicing 4-7 hours a day in HS). I have 7th graders playing g's and a's below DHC. For some reason I just convince them it's not hard. It isn't hard for me, why do they have to struggle? I fake them into thinking its easy. shhhhhh
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play good sounding DHCs every day (although my dbl b is nicer...). I rarely play them outside of my practice studio. I have on occasion ended a big band chart as high as on a double C#. I'm just now getting my range back after 15 years off of the horn.

I've personally heard about a dozen or so players in these here who can and do play musically above high C - much higher. Roadside attraction has two of them ECJO has two. Goovin' Higher has a couple. Jazz Police has at least two. You get my drift. And there are others I haven't named.

I've been fortunate enough to to have played with several of those. trust me, they're very musical. And they don't feel compelled to use that range all the time, ( although I'm sure they could ).
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a pretty firm ceiling at high E (above high C) since high school. Every once in a while I can eke out an F, but it's pipsqueak stuff. Since high school, my technique has improved (I guess through trial and error; I've been sans instruction since then). I've also gone to a bigger bore. My overall range hasn't expanded, but more and more of my range has become usable in performance. I'm perfectly comfortable with anything up to high C in performance. That was iffy in my teens.

So hallelujah, I'm improving! (Speaking of which, I think I'll try to get in some Messiah action next Christmas. I think it's in my wheelhouse now).
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to get a solid (meaning usable at all times) high E (above high C). I can squeek double high C when my lips aren't "swollen" yet. Isn't it amazing how much range drops when you overplay?
Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975)
Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP
Getzen Eterna 940
Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954
Yamaha YCR-2330S Cornet
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How many people can actually play above high C? Reply with quote

pelirrojo173 wrote:

I've played with many a professional trumpeter, and many a serious amature, and I've never run into anybody who could sound good above a high E. My current teacher aside anyways, I've never once in my entire life met anybody who could play well above E.

Despite your playing "with many a professional trumpeter" I'll bet that Boston is full of pro players with solid Es and many with Gs and beyond. You can't play the pro literature without at least a solid, reliable E. Amatuers here in Denver routinely play up to the Es. The lead in our big band is called on for Fs and Gs. There are dozens of pros around Denver with Gs and beyond.

I think your experience reflects the literature you're playing. If you keep playing into college you'll meet lots of people with ton of range.

Dave
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two pros that play for our Christmas and Easter programs. One is a classical player and tops out somewhere not to far above high C. At least that is where I think he tops out. He rarely discusses range.

The other pro does three octave scales during his warmups and has a solid, accurate and musical range up to and above double C.

In my high school, many many years ago, one didn't make the pep band if they couldn't play a double G.
pelirrojo173
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: How many people can actually play above high C? Reply with quote

_dcstep wrote:
I think your experience reflects the literature you're playing. If you keep playing into college you'll meet lots of people with ton of range.

I think you're onto something - I pretty much play exclusively classical music.... So I don't run into the jazz screamer people very often. Maybe that has something to do with me never running into people with range.

I didn't really want this to turn into a "I can play this high" thread - I'd love to hear sound clips of you guys playing up there though! Perhaps it would open my eyes.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll play literature that demands an E on Bb trumpet, if you stick with classical music. It's coming, but there's no need to be too concerned with it at this stage of your development.

Dave
pelirrojo173
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come across E's on Bb already, I managed to eek it out alright I'm not concerned though, it'll be there eventually. Well, actually the part was written for piccolo but nobody had one so I faked it on Bb Not that having a piccolo would have made playing the note any easier.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How many people can actually play above high C? Reply with quote

I would think that the 'classical' pros you play with have the range, but don't use it for the literature they play with you. Just because you have range does not mean you have to use it all the time

High notes are hardly the exclusive realm of 'screamers' (how I hate that term).

Want to play the high Eb in the Haydn easily? Own higher tones. It's really that simple. Notes the the end of your range will always sound like they are at the end of your range.

You did ask indirectly how high we can play, and how high those players we play with can.

pelirrojo173 wrote:
_dcstep wrote:

I think you're onto something - I pretty much play exclusively classical music.... So I don't run into the jazz screamer people very often. Maybe that has something to do with me never running into people with range.

I didn't really want this to turn into a "I can play this high" thread - I'd love to hear sound clips of you guys playing up there though! Perhaps it would open my eyes.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
pelirrojo173
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I did ask, but talk is cheap and meaningless. I want to hear those DHC's, not just read about them! I've checked out Trent's stuff, though I already knew he was a beast. I'd very much like to hear more from other people!
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* fine.

I'll post a clip tomorrow of me playing a double C. No biggie.

*No biggie" wasn't meant to sound as if I have everything figured out and I don't have to work for it It just meant that posting the clip would not be an issue.

Will try to get it out today, if not today, tomorrow.

pelirrojo173 wrote:
True, I did ask, but talk is cheap and meaningless. I want to hear those DHC's, not just read about them! I've checked out Trent's stuff, though I already knew he was a beast. I'd very much like to hear more from other people!

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces

Last edited by fraserhutch on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
pelirrojo173
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to hear it!
mrwilliams

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is just where I happen to live at the time(L.A.), but I knew more people than I can remember who had playable range well above high c, double c and g above that. (Most only up to the double c ) Personally, I've never had playable range above e flat above high c. In practice, I've hit double c, rarely. But only once have I been able to consistently play high f in performance. I have always heard that double c is very difficult, and very few can ever play it consistently. I've met several. Like I said, probably just where I used to live.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelirrojo173 wrote:
I can't wait to hear it!

And I was wrong when I said "no biggie" cause I got busy again and forgot. Sorry about that, will try to get you a clip today or tomorrow.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
pelirrojo173
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, I'm sure you're a busy dude. No rush.
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This clip seems apropos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAW9xybfrw&feature=related
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it when Johnny says, "If you're really skilled you could."
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: