• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many people can actually play above high C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stradivarius151 wrote:
pelirrojo173, tell me if this is a better/worse way to say what you were trying to.

Many people can/claim to be able to play above High C. I am one of those. However, like most, I may not be able to make music above High C. I can go to at least a solid G, but I may not be able to make music with it. It's a good note, but not great music.

I think the above quoted post is a good way to think about this topic.

My opinion is that there is a very big difference between "hitting" a note or perhaps "squeezing out" a pitch, and actually making a pleasing, musical, sonorous, flowing, and resonant sound; as well as being able to call upon that pitch at any time, under any circumstances, and produce it with such musical and sonic characteristics.

There are a few players, such as Doc Severinsen, who immediately comes to mind, who have the sound and upper register facility and fluency that I have in mind here when I make these comments. If someone can do it like Doc, then, in my opinion, the question has been answered.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:

How 'bout this:

the people that can play above high C are those that aren't afraid of it. (I did it within 2 weeks of picking up the horn)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
DaveH wrote:

How 'bout this:

the people that can play above high C are those that aren't afraid of it. (I did it within 2 weeks of picking up the horn)

Well....ok. I guess. I do think that some folks (and you may well be one of them) do have a more "natural" upper register, due to certain physical characteristics, and admittedly, a good mental approach. But others (like me) have had to PRACTICE a LOT to get a decent top end. I do agree that becoming "psyched out" about range can have a detrimental affect, but I also think, no disrespect intended, that "the people that can play above high C are those that aren't afraid of it" is a bit too simplistic in most cases.

Brad361
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_4AqRSVY5g&NR=1&feature=fvwp

The marching band haters don't want us to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:

There I was hoping for something profound, like Madison '88, and got that instead.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
razeontherock wrote:
DaveH wrote:

How 'bout this:

Well....ok. I guess. I do think that some folks (and you may well be one of them) do have a more "natural" upper register, due to certain physical characteristics, and admittedly, a good mental approach. But others (like me) have had to PRACTICE a LOT to get a decent top end. I do agree that becoming "psyched out" about range can have a detrimental affect, but I also think, no disrespect intended, that "the people that can play above high C are those that aren't afraid of it" is a bit too simplistic in most cases.

Brad361

Agreed, that statement is too simplistic, and not intended to be complete. But the fact is that within 2 weeks of picking up the horn I practiced a LOT. I was also exposed to many of the primary elements that affect blowing this plumbing, and had already spent much more time to get both a good mental approach, and a good sound model. I point out that there were still many playing factors very relevant to range that I had no idea about; I'm just saying that getting a few right can be enough to get at least some results.
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
dmb wrote:

There I was hoping for something profound, like Madison '88, and got that instead.

Always happy to help. Glad you liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
hotyute

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol you are definitely right. Most of the people on the internet who claim to have a solid DHC which is far from the truth if you were to meet up with them in person.

I have a range up to a solid high F. No I can't double tongue it particularly (now I'm thinking of trying it after this post haha). But also occasionally I have to spit out a high G (just above high C) and I have no problems playing it nice and loud unless I'm really tired. The good thing is I don't have to play these kind of notes for hours upon hours, I only get them once or twice every few pieces - so that kinda explains why I'm able to play them consistently.

As for DHC, it is not part of my playable range yet, I can hit it if I'm just standing there doing nothing. I even tried it a few days ago AFTER a 3 hour rehearsal and was able to hit it unreliably (LoL). So it's very possible to make it part of your playable range... I'm just not interested in trying to make it it part of mine haha.
Besson BE2000 Trumpet
Olds Ambassador Trumpet
Cameron J.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My consistent top level is an E6 (E above the staff). I can get an F6 on occassions. Hopefully aiming to get to G6 on a consistent basis. And I am only 18!
Ubub17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What caliber trumpeter does it take to play up there anyway? Strictly pros or just a good trumpet player?
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a pro (any more) but I have a pretty solid high F and sometimes G. I've squeezed out a double B but by no means reliably. I'm sure with consistent and correct practice I could get to double C pretty consistently and musically. But I don't have the time to dedicate to that kind of practice right now.
Ubub17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering because because Im a freshman in highschool (14 years old) and I'm been able to get the f out usually.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubub17 wrote:
What caliber trumpeter does it take to play up there anyway? Strictly pros or just a good trumpet player?

A developed embouchure will produce a solid high G. You'll need most of the mechanics working correctly, and in co-ordination with each other.

If you don't have that, your embouchure is still developing. This type of self-assessment can help you a lot.
Ubub17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great piece of info thanks gives me a goal to work to shouldn't be too long till I get it
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubub17 wrote:

I would say, not necessarily either in the unique case of Jerry Callett, who is a beast on the horn, can fly around that thing stratosphere and down, at least when I took a lesson with him back in about 2001, but he is the first to admit he is NOT musical, which is a whole different problem, but that's for another post.

Honestly, to play that high, you have to really want to want to do that sort of thing, and then you'll figure out a way to get there. Just don't ever think it has to do with some mystical power, it's just peace of mind, technique and tons of hours in the shed. This bud brisbois article i found really helpful. In particular the part where he talks about building from the bottom to the top on the trumpet, and how noone builds from top to bottom. Please read the whole thing, it's also got a lot of great stories about Bud with people who knew him well.

http://www.seeleymusic.com/brisbois/brisart.htm

good luck and first and foremost, really believe you can do it, otherwise if you are defeated before you put the horn to your mouth, you already lost, don't even bother. Like Maurice Andre says, you need to be a Winner when you go out on that stage. If you can sneeze, i believe you have all the power needed to play a triple C, just based on the 600mph air speed achieved during a sneeze.

I also thought I read Roger Ingram talk about how he likes leadpipe buzzing for range buidling? Anyway, leadpipe buzzing is great, it's a bit pitchy when you get real high, but afterwords when you put the trumpet to your face, the chops feel really good. Mentally, it's also easier to blow through.

I can tell you, I had a buddy that was a buzzer and had that beginning range of top space E or on a good day top staff G. After i showed him a few things to convert him to a blower, he blew about a Bb without the valve as the first note but then immediately zipped up to about a High G/A. The moral to the story is you might already have the setup for much higher notes already, but if you don't activate that muscle below the belly button, release of tension is difficult. Some famous cornet soloist in HL Clarke's autobiography, forget the name off hand, but he mentions that if you can play a G on top of the staff, you have all the mouth tension needed to play a G above that, or something to that effect.

Good luck.
davidsarends

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the unfortunate problem that I can play up there but I don't think up there so I only use that part of the register if I am playing piccolo trumpet in classical music.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not meeeeeeeeeeee!

altiery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Playing above high C Reply with quote

In all the lessons I have ever had with Phil Smith, Rolf Smedvig, Stephen Burns and others, the subject of range was discussed but never once was the goal of playing the high C, double high C, or anything in between, mentioned.

If you’re playing that high you are effectively a soloist - you’re not blending with anybody else and likely not listening to anybody else.

I like the earlier post of a TH member who works on extending range in order to feel secure about playing in the mid-upper register with confidence and musicality. This makes good sense.

Ultimately hitting the crazy high notes is a crutch that many use to compensate for a lack of ensemble playing, blending, and playing a phrase with musical skill.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Playing above high C Reply with quote

Note: this thread was dormant for three years until a 'me too' post appeared for someone most likely wanting to get access to the marketplace.
altiery wrote:
I like the earlier post of a TH member who works on extending range in order to feel secure about playing in the mid-upper register with confidence and musicality. This makes good sense.

There's a lot of truth to that. I routinely practice higher than I'm required to perform in public, because as my range increases, my ability to comfortably and reliably play lower notes improves as well.

I used to have a mindset where I only practiced the range I 'need to have' for the music in front of me. That had one major result: My range never got better, so my comfort with the notes I did need to play never got better either.

Most people that can barely squeak out a C above the staff probably worry every time they see the A below it on a part as well, because it's near the top of their comfort zone and they're not sure from one day to the next if it'll be there when they need it, or if they're tired.

When it becomes 'just another note to play' then you really own it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: