• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TH losing credibility?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of charging for ads. It would send the scammers somewhere else. How about this; the seller has to post a deposit into a TH account which would be refundable upon receipt of the item?
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathgeek wrote:
...The only response we seem to get is "caveat emptor". For you administrator/moderator types out there that means "buyer beware". ...
Well, p*ssing all over the Administrator/Moderators out there won't help the problem. Sheesh!

Go start your own website, Skippy...

OR, you could contact the owner, ask him if there is some way that YOU could use YOUR valuable time to create a solution---and implement it.

The nerve of some people....

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the technical end of this site is really only run by one person, it's probably best to just "zip it" and keep your eyes peeled for scams. Anyone out there handy with HTML/shopping carts/web IDs/etc.?
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys:

I've been aggressively removing scam Marketplace ads about which I've been notified. Please let me know about ads that you know to be fraudulent.

As I stated in another post, I'm going to add the ability for users to comment on Marketplace ads, so that scammers can be shut down quickly.

As Don Herman noted, the Forum mods don't have responsibilities for the Marketplace, so don't rain on them.

Thanks, and please notify me of bad ads!

Best,
td
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much for all of your hard work!
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick check of the ads from Tuesday forward doesn't reveal any obvious scams to me. Please send me links of the ads in question.

I do see alot of ads from HornTrader, if you're thinking those are scams, rest assured they're not.

TD
dan_ostler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only buy mouthpieces and the like here, but the first thing I do is check out the posts by the seller. No meaningful contributions, and I move on.

That being said, the whole thing should be tightened up a bit. If you haven't got twenty posts and you haven't been here a year, there should be no access to the marketplace. At that point, buyers should check out the quality of the posts.

In addition, look for ebay/paypal protection. It's not perfect, but it's better than putting cash in the mail.
Olds Mendez, Clark Terry Flugel
Old Ambassador Cornet, Trumpet
Olds Mellophonium
(Is there a pattern emerging here??)
Hanns Hainlein 1632 Replica, MF Firebird
(I guess not......)
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ostler wrote:
In addition, look for ebay/paypal protection. It's not perfect, but it's better than putting cash in the mail.

FYI, PayPal ONLY guarantees arrival of them item...It doesn't have anything to do with quality or misrepresentation.
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
Hi guys:

I've been aggressively removing scam Marketplace ads about which I've been notified. Please let me know about ads that you know to be fraudulent.

As I stated in another post, I'm going to add the ability for users to comment on Marketplace ads, so that scammers can be shut down quickly.

As Don Herman noted, the Forum mods don't have responsibilities for the Marketplace, so don't rain on them.

Best,
td

When you say "comment on Marketplace ads", do you mean comments that are public or comments that go directly to an admin privately?

If the latter, I think this is a good thing. If the former, I think this is a mess in the making. Why? Because you'll have people critiquing or interfering with other people's ads: "Gee, you're charging too much", "Wow, that horn looks like crap", "Why are you charging that much for shipping?", "I have a better one", etc. It's also license for competing sellers to put down the competition. Just too much potential for abuse.

It's trading one problem for another.

I still think that making a minimum post threshold of 25 or 50 posts before being able to post in the marketplace would cut out 98% of the scammers.
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
Hi guys:

Best,
td

Thanks for your hard work...I can't wait to see the new feature!
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
...Thanks...
td
No, TH, thank YOU...

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
Shillelagh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*

BROWN NOSER

*cough*

I joke, I joke.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes made today to Marketplace activation ... in order to activate a Marketplace account, users must now:

Provide additional information in Registry entries
Have been members of TH for at least 24 hours
Have at least 5 posts in the forums

We'll see if this will slow the scammers a little bit, in addition to providing more information to users about sellers.

Thanks,
td
bkonstans1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those changes are good, but I still like the idea of charging for posts.
Just my 2 cents.
Benny

Bach Strad Bb, Yamaha Xeno C, Yamaha Cornet, Couesnon Flugelhorn. GR Mouthpieces
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those changes, TD!

They strike me as quite reasonable and enough of a deterrent to discourage many scammers--while also giving an interested buyer a bit of an insight into who he or she might be dealing with.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkonstans1 wrote:
All those changes are good, but I still like the idea of charging for posts.
Just my 2 cents.
Benny

That's coming, too. But, we'll have both free ads and paid.

Thanks,
td
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

do the posts have to be original, or can the new registered member simply copy other posts on a thread like this newbie,

not saying he's a scammer, but sortof odd that someone would register, and proceed to copy and paste posts.

demeterK
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
Changes made today to Marketplace activation ... in order to activate a Marketplace account, users must now:

Provide additional information in Registry entries
Have been members of TH for at least 24 hours

We'll see if this will slow the scammers a little bit, in addition to providing more information to users about sellers.

Thanks,
td

Great idea, thanks!
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
FaithfulPastor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Scam? Reply with quote

Does this sound like a scam to you?

Brand Name:Yamabachagetzemonette (using on the best from the best)
Key: Ab, Bb C, D F simultaneously
Instrument: Trumpaflumpiccolo trumpet for sale.

This synthesized horn is made of gold, rawbrass, silver heavy lacquer tin and angel dust. The leadpipe is instantaneously changeable to reverse and nonreverse simply by thinking the minuet in G while limiting stuffiness even without large bore. This manufacturer of this trumpet guarantees that it will play all notes in tune, including all alternate fingerings, regardless of the expertise of the person playing the trumpaflumpiccolo.

The craftsmanship is truly remarkable. Using parts from China, Hong Kong, Germany, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Elkhart, Istanbul, Mt. Vernon, Mt. Vesuvius, and Mt. Maddog this is truly an instrument for international usage. The semi-rotary, quasi piston ka-neuter five-valve actions delivers quick response and dark, smoky overtones as needed for jazz, baroque, big band and crass-ical genres.

Last of the great features of the trumpaflumpiccolo is the change on the fly ends of the horn. Never again will you need to buy another mouthpiece. The horn comes with the malleable play-dough mouthpiece which can be reformed instantly by the player to deepen the cup, shallow the cup, add to the rim, take away rim and alter bore diameter with the included pipe cleaner kit. But the manufacturers didn't forget about the other end, of the horn, the bell. The accordion bell may be enlarged, tapered, lengthened or shortened by using the dial-a-matic bell discronification system.

Imagine, never ever playing out of tune again. Never ever playing out of tempo, of key or in the wrong key or time signature. Truly this horn is one for the ages.

Please send your check of $18,743.24 El Salvadorian currency only to my home address and I'll send your trumpaflumpiccolo right away. For an extra $500,000, I'll hand deliver yours to you before Christmas.

Dizzy Doc Marcellus
aka Maynard "Satchmo" Hirt
MY HOME LAND IS ETHOPIA AND YOU WILL NEED TO SEND ME YOUR BANKING INFORMATION, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, NAME OF PET, NEXT OF KIN, TO THE OFFICAIL OFFICE OF ACCOUNTANCY TO HAVE MY MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TRANSFERRED TO YOU ACCOUNT AND THEREBY AVOID THE QUADRUPLE TAXATION LEVIED BY MY COUNTRY ON ALL INTERNATIONAL PURCHASES. PLEASE RESPONDE SOONE.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of continuuing to be able to post personal ads without charge as many of us have done for years on TH.

I would also like to see ads automatically expire after a week or two. I'm tired of contacting someone to find out they sold the item 3 weeks ago. This has happened quite often.

There are ads cluttering up the marketplace that have been posted months ago that are no longer operative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: