• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TH losing credibility?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, free ads aren't going away. I'm just eventually going to develop a paid upsell option.

td
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiCK Kanstul wrote:
Quote:

Have at least 5 posts in the forums

do the posts have to be original, or can the new registered member simply copy other posts on a thread like this newbie,

not saying he's a scammer, but sortof odd that someone would register, and proceed to copy and paste posts.

demeterK

We have a winner! I would be very suspicious of this guy - demeterK

td
Randall Nelson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..I wonder about also requiring a month or two waiting period before being able to place an item for sale in the marketplace ....that's in addition to the number of posts during that time. It would help weed out the flakes and scammers.

I am relatively new to TH and waited about 3 months to post something for sale in the marketplace....waiting was not a big problem. Besides, the marketplace wasn't the reason I joined up here anyway.

That said, after joining, I've also had a really good buying experience on the TH marketplace....but I take the time to call or make substantial contact with the seller. In one case I met the person over a beer to make the $$ and item exchange. Worked out perfect. Enjoyed a substantial beer and conversation with another musician ...

Thanks for having the marketplace as part of the site.
Best,
Randy
Kanstul French Besson Marvin Stamm
Lawler C7
Getzen Custom 3051 LB RL
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: TH Marketplace Reply with quote

I have had nothing but positive experiences with buying via the TH network. I have literally stopped checking the RecTrumpetmusicmakers newsgroup due to the rediculousness of the posts. TH questions and responses "feel" better to me blended in with sometimes "quirky" humor.

Being basically a trusting person, I will continue to deal with TH "vendors" until I am burned and even then try to take that as an aberation.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:

Is that active yet? There are new ads by people with fewer than five posts.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
trumpetherald wrote:

Is that active yet? There are new ads by people with fewer than five posts.

Those restrictions are only in place for new account activations. Members with existing accounts are 'grandfathered' in.

Thanks,
td
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the changes you've implemented in the marketplace, td. Thank you!
- Brian

iubkud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some type of escrow system? Not necessary for small items like mouthpieces and such, but if you're selling a horn, have a list of trusted TH members that are willing to receive the horn and the payment, and put them in contact with whoever is selling.

The buyer send the money to the 'mediator' and the seller sends the horn. If the mediator doesn't receive one end of the transaction within a time frame, he sends it back. When he receives both, he sends them on their way. The mediator does not have to worry about shipping charges, as they'd be covered by the buyer and/or seller, and possibly add some sort of fee for the mediators time?

I don't know, it could work, I've seen it done elsewhere.
piston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should have a minimum amount of posts before you are allowed to sell. I feel much more comfortable when you see someone selling who is a poster as well.

How about introducing some escrow service to TH members?

How about some official way of flagging a suspicious ad? Heck, I have seen ads that are frauds stay up for some time.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piston wrote:
Perhaps you should have a minimum amount of posts before you are allowed to sell. I feel much more comfortable when you see someone selling who is a poster as well.

We added this 12/16 or thereabouts. 5 posts required for new Marketplace account activations.

Quote:
How about introducing some escrow service to TH members?

All of our correspondence & pages on the site recommend www.escrow.com

Quote:
How about some official way of flagging a suspicious ad? Heck, I have seen ads that are frauds stay up for some time.

All correspondence from this site regarding an item includes a specific email address to use to report scams.

Thanks,
td
vlstpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just was scammed by someone who had an ad and I just lost a lot of hard earned money, I can't say for sure but I think this it. "
Lawler C7 trumpet (based on vintage Martin Committee)
Placed: 2007-11-24 20:56:26 Views: 747
This ad can not be displayed.
If you are the owner of this ad, you must have an active & valid Registry entry on this site for it to be seen here. Please check the Registry editing page for details on information you must provide. "To be honest, I should have known better. I have a family and to be out that $$ and nothing to show for it really hurts. I feel like such a fool, I should have known better.
John 3:16
Psalm 150:3
Church Musician
Port Jeff. Station, NY , USA
Bach Strad 180/72 GP ML Tpt
Bach Strad 180/37 SP ML Tpt
Bach Strad 181 SP ML Crnt
Yamaha, Flugel SP 63110Z
Bach 3, 3C, 3D, 5A,5V
Curry Mpcs
Ultra Pure products
It's All Technique

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: On-going scam vigil! Reply with quote

All ads from from "jame_pas" are scams!! Joined two days ago, made 7 posts spaced at one minute intervals, and all nonsense. Plus I know where some of these horns are at.

Cheers

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Studio, Special, Ambassador
'75 LA Benge, Conn Vintage One
Yamaha 6335 II, 6335 II raw brass, 9335 New York, 6345 II, 8310Z
Yamaha and Getzen Mike Vax Models,
Schilke X3, Bach Strad. 37. 72*Raw Brass!!
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: On-going scam vigil! Reply with quote

It's All Technique wrote:
All ads from from "jame_pas" are scams!! Joined two days ago, made 7 posts spaced at one minute intervals, and all nonsense. Plus I know where some of these horns are at.

Cheers

Thanks, toast. There were some other new users who are now toast as well.

td
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: A Few More Safeguard items Reply with quote

"Trust" means different things to different people. For me the term, "Trust, but verify." comes to mind. So far, I have not been burned buying or selling on the marketplace which includes horns. I did get burned on ebay, once, but that was being dumb and shipping an item before I received the funds. Here are some additional things others have suggested:

1) Ask the seller/buyer for a phone number and call and talk to them. Yeah they could B.S. you, but it gives both parties a better feeling about credibility.

2) I give my ebay user id as something they can use to check out my feedback which is better than nothing. See if your buyer has the same info.

3) If I'm selling, I ask the buyer to send me a copy of the money order and postal receipt before I ship. I send them a copy of the tracking info at the same time. Trust is involved here even with Paypal.

4) If I sell a horn, I offer a trial period of a few days since I refuse to buy a horn if I haven't tried it. No trial period on other stuff such as mps though.

5) If you have any misgivings about selling/buying, don't go through with the transaction. This is true even if you think that you will have buyer's/seller's remorse.

6) If it sounds to good to be true.....ad nauseum.

7) Take your ad off the marketplace as soon as your sale is a sure thing (When you've been paid and the trial period is over).

Just some ideas, FWIW

Stan
seansdadj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spams are no good.
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handful of posts and a requirement to wait for a few days is little discouragement for scammers. Anyone who can write for ten minutes and has a little time and patience can meet these requirements. Would you invest ten minutes and a few days to make a thousand dollars? Of course you would if you were dishonest. Isn't that still pretty easy money?

Submitted with the most constructive of intentions for your review:

1) Have Marketplace ads automatically delete after (2) weeks but can be reintroduced unlimited number of times by registered members.

2) Must be registered member for minimum of (6) months prior to posting in the Marketplace.

3) Minimum (25) posts prior to placing ad in the Marketplace.

4) Place "buyer reminder" in the Marketplace that advises TH folks how to bring up all of the posts made by an individual, and to review those posts for content to determine if they are a genuine member of the trumpet playing community.

After that, if you want to do business with someone who has made (26) three word posts of no substance you are free to do so. But responsibility for the transaction cannot be shifted to the folks contributing a lot their time to facilitate this board.

I don't doubt these suggestions will completely eliminate the problem with scammers but it would eliminate the TH site as an "easy mark." Even paying for ads will likey not be the ultimate solution. Perhaps the focus should be on controlling the problem with reasonable regulations so that scamming is reduced to an infrequent and more tolerable level.

Finally; please decide in a hurry 'cause I have a horn to sell.
lead_trumpet_girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having some posts required is a great idea, it can help a potential buyer or trader to see if the member is a real player or junque dealer. I am quite opinionated about several subjects, but refrain from expressing them....somewhat. I will always rant about the poor quality of imported horns versus 40 year old USA built instruments. that's one reason I like to repair the oldest horns I can, they are so much better than the new stuff!! Please see some of my recent projects on TM >>>> http://www.trumpetmaster.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/500/ppuser/18630

Thanks!!

www.classictrumpet.com
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been scammed once - on buying a mouthpiece from a guy in France. He shipped an empty torn envelope to me.

I unfortunately had no recourse.

I would strongly suggest that one not make inter-continental purchases. It's just impossibly to get satisfaction if something goes wrong.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
qwaszxc8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I hadn't heard/seen that one. American ingenuity at its finest!
elvisfrederik

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, you are correct.
My point is if someone is buying or selling on TH - they should be scrutinized as to their credibility.
Anyone is alowed to register on this forum with just a bogus screen name and nothing else.
FWIW, you are one of the great posters on this forum.
I always read your posts wether I am interested in the topic or not, or wether I agree with you or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: