• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many are pros or amatures on this forum?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there;

I'm still new to this forum, and while I been reading through a lot of the post, it seems that a fair number of you must be pros according to the time you can spend to practice and by the level of your skills.

So I ask myself, how many out there are pros. and how many are amatures out there, that make a living with another job.

Also, it would interest me, what kind of practicing rituals the pros and the amatures have and how much time you guys spend practicing your horn.
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will be the first to reply with an "Amateur" nod. I am also a comeback player. I took 8 years off and regret every day of it.

I now play more than I ever did. I have 4 rehearsals a week and a Jazz Improvisation class once a week. I am a stay at home dad as well as a freelance Computer Drafter.

I have a Bb, a Cornet, a Flugelhorn and a Piccolo Trumpet and I use all 4 of them regularly.

I do not make hardly any money playing but I do not care about that at all. I am in 3 church groups, a community group and I play a wedding here and there. I just love to play.

[ This Message was edited by: boofredlay on 2003-02-14 16:40 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Z,

I'm totally an amature although there once was a time where I made my living as an Army Bandsman in the Washington DC area. Skill wise though, I doubt that I could land any big gigs like major sympyhonies or even regional symphonies. I make a pretty decent amount playing on the side, but it really has more to do with me being in the right places at the right time and knowing some key people than it does with my ability behind the horn. Yup, Joe Amature here.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm clearly an amateur. I can only seem to put in about 2 1/2 -3 hours a day of practicing before finding a need to do some actual work that will pay a bill or two.
Larry Smithee
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateur here! I started playing two years ago (at the tender age of 34) and I am a member of two community bands. I'm also trying to pull some strings to play during my regular church services on Sunday.

I practice at least 1.5 hours a day - more on the weekends. I'm not looking to go pro - just trying to get better at it. My primary interest is jazz, small combo playing but at this stage - I just want to play. This endeavor has also led me to meet some pretty cool people.

To call the trumpet a hobby to me is just to weak a word. It is more of a passion for music that I've had since I was 5 years old.

By day I work as a web developer for a law firm in Washington, D.C. Of course I'm dreaming about playing the entire time.

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2003-02-14 17:08 ]
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a student...I guess you'd call me an amateur, although that seems like sort of a strech considering that the other 'amateur' players are on this forum are probably much better than me

mm
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Capt. Z and welcome!

I consider myself an amatuer because it's a hobby for me. I make just enough money playing weddings, jazz and Big band gigs to treat my family to a nice vacation every year. All my $$ earned go into the family vacation fund...otherwise my wife would never let me spend the time I do playing and practicing

I would guess I practice maybe 5-6 hours a week...sometimes more sometimes less.

Best wishes and good playing to you, sir!

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
Preemo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an amateur, hobbyist here. Played looonnng ago in high school. But now older and wiser and much more serious about my playing.

Preemo
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I fall into the amateur category. However, I do not make any money playing the trumpet. My current situation is such that I would not be making money even if my chops were professional-level.

I always felt that that professionalism is more of an attitude than anything else. There are some participants on this forum who would be amateurs by one classification, but are as skilled as any pro.
RhythmDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an amateur. Occasionally I get paid for playing. I practice about 5 hours per week - more if I have an important (wedding solo) or strenuous (4-hour dance) gig coming up.

-- Rick
douglast35758

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the amatuer status, although I can sometimes make all the tomatoes they can throw at me. Seriously, I play in a variety of church and community groups as needs arise. I'm lucky to squeeze in an hour or two of practice a night (other than reading the forum, practicing is my relaxation therapy). I take lessons off and on from an ex-pro friend who's helping me to break old bad habits. Bottom line, too many years off, I'm back in the thick of it and having a ball every time I pick up a horn. I get to play with high caliber players like Eric, and play for audiences who really appreciate the performances.
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an overwhelming response.

I had expected half pro, half amature.

I myself am a amature too.

Playing now for about 28 years. Most of that time I played in my local Salvation Army church and some regional SA Brass Bands.

My main Instrument is a B & H Sovereign medium bore cornet from the 80's.
Got an old Besson Fluegelhorn - horrible low C intonation
And last but not leas I have an '66 Connstalation trumpet, that was given to me by a friend.

While living in Virgina, I was able to play in a small community "symphony" which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I now live in Spain as a missionary and mainly play again in my local church, but I just started about 2 weeks ago to practice on a regular basis.

Great to have this website, where I always am able to find new info and help.
OldBugleBoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely fall into the amature category now. I play mainly for my church however, I'm blessed to belong to a church with a wonderful music and fine arts program. At one time though I was a professional deriving all my income from music.
Happily playing a Yamaha YFH-635T
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt many pros would come out and say "I'm a pro", but if you met me on the street and asked "What do you do?", I'd reply "I'm a musician".
Here's two myths for you: Chicks dig musicians and chicks dig nice cars. Pure mythology baby.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, i aint giggin'....

HAHAHA!!

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a pro. i am a baaaad motherf.......

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a professional but what I do is a very mixed bag. I have 36-40 students, teach band at a small school two days a week, and play in various orchestras and quintets and have a quintet of my own. I don't get rich but I do make a living. I like it very well most of the time, but like any job , it has its bad days as well. Beats working.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny!
If getting paid for our work...is the "CRY-TEAR-EE- UHHHH?"
Let's seeeeeee, waaaaaaaaaay back in 1953 I was paid to play taps at a small cemetary...as the distant bugler, while my trumpet teacher played the main theme first....I played after the gun salute...WAAAAAAAAAAY off in the distance, out on the gravel road. I was paid $5.00 by the local town mayor. WOW! I THOUGHT I WAS GREAT AND SEE WHERE THAT LED ME?
Played with various local Portland Oregon dance bands...and took sick-in gigs from the old Portland (now called Oregon Symphony) and up until the mid 80's...even performed with a few of the local Seattle bunch...and now just play with the Boeing bunch in house bunch and with Raymond Klein's Touch of Class bunch from time to time...HOW EVER????

NOW THAT I "PAY" TO PLAY FOR THE LORD.....does that reduce me to amatur status...HA! SO BE IT!!! I OWN THE MASTER MORE THAN I'LL EVER KNOW....HE PAID THE PRICE FOR ALL OF US....DIDN'T HE..and all that jazz.
jazzbebopswing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the majority are amateurs and I'm in that catagory. I wonder if the pros are too busy gigging to participate in these types of forums.

Mark
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
I think it's like EB said. Most won't be willing to jump on the bandwagon and wave their arms saying "hey everybody, I'm a professional trumpet player". It's easier and safer to claim to be an amateur or just say nothing at all.
Larry Smithee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: