• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many are pros or amatures on this forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
douglast35758

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, oh... the secret's out.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm a pro. I love this and it's my hobby, but it is pretty much the sole source of my income (teachin' & playin'). I'm buying a house, putting 2 kids through college, etc. with my horn.

Funny, I still do it for fun (don't tell anybody!).
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Definitely amateur here, but never enjoyed it as much as these days! I started by doing more money with my trumpet than with my intended profession (being a physics student) and was even a pro musician 15 years ago, since I was a member of the Israeli Musicians Union and for tax purposes declared independent profession (not salaried). But these days, my trp revenues have fallen to strictly 0 while my day gigs revenues have thankfully taken more than their share to provide for my family (being related to the petroleum industry, we're happy as long as it lasts - the North Sea is already on the decline, maybe the trp will become useful again later!).

One personal question, captain, how can one be a missionary in Spain, of all countries (aren't they those who invented missionaries in the first place and sent them abroad?)? No criticism here, just curious!

Pierre.

[ This Message was edited by: PC on 2003-02-17 01:01 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pro musician - and eating...

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the 4 years I spent in the 82nd Airborne Division, I have made my living exclusively through music - teaching and playing.

It is hard for me to say I am a "pro", though. I don't play any big gigs, like Hollywood, NY shows, or major Symphonies, but I do a lot of "lesser" work for decent pay.

Hey Roddy, judging by your picture on the front of your book, you eat almost as well as I do!

If you haven't seen his book, it is worth it, no matter where you are in your playing. IMHO.

Steve
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, first and foremost, a student, and will be until I keel over.

I played professionally and decided to scale it back, took a day job, and maintain as active a playing schedule as my community will allow.

I'll bet that most folks fall into the category "I get paid sometimes but it's not how I pay my rent".
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the IRS, I'm a professional. But, I've never liked anything the IRS had to say before, so that can be taken with whatever size grain of salt you see fit.

It seems to me, looking back, the way things have gone down is that as I've aquired the skills needed for a particular kind of gig, I start getting calls. Then I get bored, and my focus goes to a different part of the 'business'. When I was in college it was wedding gigs on picc with organ. Then it was lead playing. As my focus changed to jazz/combo/ "ride" playing I lucked out and found a 'day job' managing a jazz club. When the boss ran out of money, my jazz had progressed well enough to get work doing that. Not great work, but I do nontheless make my living blowing this piece of plumbing.

I've been writing a lot lately, and starting to feel the burn to go back to school work more on my jazz and to finish the education side of the degree so I can get cool things like health insurance, 401K and all the other things that women like. As Mr. Bolvin was kind enough to point out earlier, chicks definately don't dig musicians. But, my lack of drug problem, having short hair and a minimum of tattoos keeps me incognito from the most discerning ladies.

I like the idea earlier stated about professionalism being a state of mind. I've had the great pleasure of working with some 'weekend warrior' players that were a blessing to the business, and we have all of course run into the inverse more often than we wish.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roddy, judging by your picture on the front of your book, you eat almost as well as I do! --Strawdoggy
================================================

...hey Steve! ---yeah baby! ...but at least I've still got my mojo!!

BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateur. Rank. According to me, anyway (see below). Play in church and sub in a community orchestra. About 5 years (gosh, seems like I should be a LOT better by now!) into a comeback after nearly twenty years off. Did play with some bands in HS/college for pay, but nowadays that's considered "semipro". Just as well; I made more money as a soundman than with my horn (tells me something, I guess ).

Don't tell the insurance company, who's convinced that because I reap $20/month from a private student who comes every other week or so, I'm a professional! They doubled my rates 'cuz I said "yeah, I have one student..."
Stevie Mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pro or not a Pro.".indeed that is the question.
Hmmm, I too would consider myself in the Semipro theater.
I play gigs most weekends and an occasional weeknight.and teach during the week.
as well as practice most days...but it is still my love.
I pay the IRS for this and have another job that helps 2 kids in college.
I have never been able to figure it out, so SemiPro works for me.
Yeah I know this is also a "Semi" answer..
Play well or silently...
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddy,

I lost my mojo in the 90s. But, I found all the weight I lost last year. It hid well for awhile, but I found it again.
Derek Lawinski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roddy - Glad you like my buddy Steve Waterman's playing, and copied his profile from his web site. He certainly is a great player, and he say's that his mpc pressure is cool - I witnessed him playing some of his serious compositions with the Gwent Youth Big Band last week, and was still playing incredibly melodic jazz & beautiful dubba A's & B's at the end of a 12 hour blowing day. Were you there? - I was with Dick Hamer & Steve.

Where can I catch your gigs in South Wales? - I've been searching for your MF band in the usual listings but haven't seen you yet? - do you have any coming up?

Also when were you in NYJO, I was likely to be there at the same time!

Keep it live & clean!
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRO- Someone who makes all his income from playing.
SEMIPRO- One whose playing is not the main staple of income.
AMATEUR- Someone who can be well-skilled but plays for the total enjoyment of it or could take a gratuitous donation.
I'm sure many of us have floated between these so-called labels many times throughout our careers. I started as amateur, then went to semipro whle working other odd jobs and going to school; after my first graduation I still didn't know what I wanted so I went strictly pro for several years strictly playing and teaching till I "found myself"! After finding my "niche" in the medical field and getting married and having four wonderful boys, I've gone back to a pro in a semipro environment. Actually it's probably close to 50/50. And then again I've done many gigs for the pure enjoyment of playing and working with fellow musicians. Many weddings, funerals, Easter and Christmas shows, community bands, etc.....!
Trumpet playing, throughout the years, has opened many doors for me, let me meet a lot of wonderful and famous people and has given me the income to pay for a lot of life's necessities and not so necessities!

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to think Pro...but in all honesty, I fall into the Semi-Pro category.
All of MY income is derived from music endeavours but, the bulk of the
HOUSEHOLD income comes from my wifes REAL job. I could do better than
simply survive on what I make but, luckily, I don't have to try.

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Derek!

sorry... never copied steves website...'fraid mine was up before his...go figure...Btw he asked ME about mpc pressure/high range routines via email I thought he may remember [for a laugh, but I guess he's too busy.] We also talked [in swansea] about a lesson I once had with LEW SOLOFF. Also glad to hear the Big band gig went well, my pupils said they enjoyed his company and yes they are used to hearing high stuff. They enjoyed his flugal the most [feature number] and said he was "most inspirational on trumpet".
Pity Dick Hamer is an ugly bugger--heheh!!..we have had some great laughs together.The first time I met Dick I was depping at the top rank night club [gone now of course] and saw him clout some guy square in the middle of the head with the business end of his tenor sax when this particular punter in question decided to make it 'big' on satge--hahaha!!! Dick went to LEEDS jazz when he was a kid... I was in the West End Theatres London at the time.
My MF band does'nt do a lot being 25+ but I do a lot of functions. The band did a "Live" CD details of availability are here: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=3332&forum=10&8
NYJO I was there in 1978/9 I think...stauart brooks/guy barker/dave plews [great player]gavin mallett etc...
If you have some time send my buddy Kurt your soundclips man!
http://home.flash.net/~screech/trumpet3.html

sorry I did'nt answer right away...if you want me for anything it's best to email me as I don't always get over here if you see what I mean!!

RoddyTpt@aol.com

Roddy o-iii<O
PS..do ya wanna buy a book?

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC

[ This Message was edited by: Emb_Enh on 2003-02-27 02:36 ]
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an amateur, but I do put in about 12 hours of playing a week. I'm a High School student, shamefully regretting playing uba for a year. A bit of advice for anyone considering temporaruly switching instruments- DO NOT!
tims9999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a highschool student also - definately not pro But I hope to find a career in music. Anybody know of some pro's in Oregon - true pro's? I mean does anybody know of a pro that plays in an opera or in a symphony? Just wondering, i know of one but i want to see what other people think. I do know that this is not regarding jazz, but i was just wondering.

[ This Message was edited by: tims9999 on 2003-03-18 22:59 ]
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a pro in Oregon, but haven't seen him for a couple of years now. Fred Sautter, of the Oregon Symphony, was my first real teacher. Did I ever luck out to get him. I Think he's still playing there. If you can look him up and get some lessons- he is terrific at teaching and his videotape "Sound the Trumpet" is very fine indeed. Fine player also, and good man. A pro indeed.
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. is that the criteria ? based on pay ? well, strictly speaking all my income is a direct result of my playing, however I'd not be bold enough to announce myself a professional player...
I guess I just collect pay checks like a pro
I got a few years yet before I could even spectate the same arena as some of the pro's out there...
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with the comfortable level of semi-pro. I make a living teaching music during the day and gig on the weekends. All of my trumpet jobs are pay gigs, but I don't think that makes me a pro. I believe making your living solely on your horn, makes you a pro. Believe me, a job I would love to have!!!

I aspire to play at a pro level and believe that I pull that off frequently due to the amount of jobs I get. I don't play in any orchestras, quintets or bands. I am solely a free-lance trumpet player and play the gigs as they come. I wouldn't mind a regular band or orchestra to be a part of, but I am married to an aspiring actress (the real talent of the family) and have two children that I love being with.

So, I'll remain a semi-pro for now and maybe acquire a pro job later on down the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: