• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rafael Mendez 'The Legacy' question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Brown
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Rafael Mendez 'The Legacy' question Reply with quote

Hi All,

I’ve just got a copy of Rafael Mendez ‘The Legacy’ a fine CD which has some good tributes, including one from Dave H.
On one of the tracks Rafael plays some single tongued exercises from ‘Arban’. The track referred to page reference 28 to 34 (I think) however they did not match my copy (the edition where Claude Gordon does some editing of the text)
Does anybody know the page reference in my copy?

Regards
Chris Brown.

Yamaha 6335 Mk II Pro trumpet
King 650 Flugel Horn
Yamaha 2330 MkII Cornet
Holton T161 C trumpet
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Méndez recorded Arban Single Tongue Exercises (No. 18 - No. 36) for Carl Fischer , Inc. on LP in the early 1960.

More here:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/mendez/arban/

"La grande méthode complète de cornet à piston et de saxhorn par Arban", was first published in Paris during the year of 1864.

Since then, there are numerous of different edtions of Arban. All have different page numberings, so it is impossible to keep track of page numbers in relation to exercises.

I see this from time to time: "Go to page so and so in Arban". Often it seems to be the Carl Fischer edition they are using, but you can not be sure. (My version is Cundy-Bettoney Co.)

If they said "Go to the Studies on Eighth and Sixteenth Notes No. 19", I would find it in my book.

Ole

P.S.
I have heard a few other recordings of these exercises, but no one come close to Mendez in clean attacks. He is the master!
Chris Brown
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ole,

In fact my copy does correspond to the info on the CD. I was looking at the exercise at the top of page 28. However the first exercise ‘The great man’ plays is half way down page 28, which is the beginning of the rhythmic figure exercises.
On the second track Rafael talks about practicing to students in one of the many High school clinics he gave during his life time.
After giving a brief description of his unique warm up, he told the clinic of the difficulties he encountered trying to practice in Hotels and Motels when he was on the road. He recalled one phone call from a concerned Receptionist:
‘Mr Mendez will you please stop playing your “Saxophone” it’s disturbing our other guests’. This was met with raucous laughter from the clinic!
It also struck me of how much his voice sounded like Ricardo Montalban, who was one of the many celebrities who nominated Rafael for the Hollywood walk of Fame.

Chris Brown.

Yamaha 6335 Mk II Pro trumpet
King 650 Flugel Horn
Yamaha 2330 MkII Cornet
Holton T161 C trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: