• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buescher models

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Buescher Horns Reply with quote

KAJR wrote:
You are correct, I could see it on the valves and on the valve block when I look more carefully. I am missing one digit, is it 6 digit 258xxx, sorry about that. I guess this makes it 1928-29? Does 234 sound like a good model number for that era? I am sorry I don't know how to post pictures or I would throw on one.

Thanks,

If you have somewhere to host it, just paste the URL into your message; we'll see it. If not, email it to me, and I'll host it for you.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
beaukoo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaukoo wrote:
If it is a model number 234, it is a model of Aristocrat somewhere between the original Aristocrat and the Aristocrat Custom Built. The serial number would place it's date of manufacture at about 1930, not too long after the Aristocrat was introduced.

Below is an admittedly incomplete list of Buescher model numbers that I and some other THers originally put together in 2005. I've made some additional changes to it.

Model 8 (New England Model) - medium bore
Model 9 - (Maestro Model?) small bore
Model 10 - (Professional Model) medium bore
Model 10-22 - (Professional Model) medium bore
Model 11 with A to Bb key adjustment
Model 13 - Bb to A rotary valve change
Model Number 200 (New England Model) - small bore
Model Number 202 - (Maestro Model?) small bore
Model Number 212 - (Professional Model) - medium bore
Model Number 2 - peashooter design
Model Number 220 "Peashooter" with resemblances to later "400" model
Model Number 232 Aristocrat
Model Number 235 Aristocrat Custom Built
Model Number 238 Aristocrat Custom Built
Model Number 240 Aristocrat Custom Built
Model Number 240 Aristocrat Custom Built

If anyone has any changes or additions to this list, please let me know!

Dave Brewer

I finally got a chance to compare a Model Number 11 with a Model Number 9 (202) and as I suspected, the bell is the same on each. By way of comparison, the 10-22R is the rotary version of the 10-22/212 "Professional" model. If anyone has a catalog of Buescher trumpets from 1929 and earlier, I'd sure like to get my hands on a copy of it, please!

Dave Brewer
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buescher sold out to Selmer somewhere along the way. I think it was in the early 60's. They put out a few Bundy tenor saxes about then that were really Buescher horns. A pretty nice cheap tenor.

I have a Buescher Model 15 cornet pitched in C, Bb, and A. A nice playing cornet. It was built in 1915 according to Horn-u-copia. What a great resource that place is!
joe7red

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: buescher 10-22 Reply with quote

that has been over hauled going for almost nothing on ebay right now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160438416463&_trksid=p2759.l1259
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe not long after 1963 when Selmer bought them the Aristocrat went from low level pro to student.

The easiest way I think to tell them apart is their valve assemblies. Once they went totaly student they went to the same valve assembly that Bundy uses the hour glass shape to the valve assemblies went by-by! So the surest bet is to look for models made 1963 and earlier and to look for the hour glass shaped flair at the top and bottom of the valve bores with the internally threaded caps.

As far as I know the 400 and Super Aristocrats where always pro models but they where radicly changed some time after 1963 I believe when exactly after 1963 is a point of contention?
joe7red

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Buescher Aristocrat Reply with quote

The Horn-U-Copia serial number list includes a reference to the Selmer purchase of Buescher in 1963/serial number 381,000.

In 1964 Buescher was still turning out "low level pro" Aristocrat cornets; I have one with serial number 394,293. The valve case is flared [or hourglass shaped] with internally threaded valves and red nylon [I think] valve guides. Its a beautiful horn that plays great. Unfortunately, now that I've had a Holton Super Collegiate cornet stripped down to raw brass the Aristocrat probably won't get out of its case much and will likely end up listed on the marketplace...
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Buescher Reply with quote

From the San Diego Craigslist I will be in the area next week if someone wants me to take a look:

Vintage Buescher True Tone Trumpet, Silver; B Flat horn, all silver with fancy trim, small bell, triple braced, all slides work, valve action is good, it is in fine condition. There is an engraving on the bell which reads "The Buescher, Elkhardt IN". Also engraved on the value carriage is "True Tone Trademark Protected". The trumpet is in a Buescher hard case which I believe is the original case. Comes with two mouthpieces, a marching band music holder, a container of new slide grease. Pricing on Ebay is between $450 and $499. Will sell for half, $230 obo, for a quick sale. This is a great trumpet for a student or advanced player. Ask for Don 760 782 1932. Email photo available. Must see to appreciate. Can deliver.
fozzybear99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: buescher true tone 15 Reply with quote

Can someone tell me more about this trumpet? i inherited it recently and am trying to learn more about it. it is a model # 47267 Buscher Series 15 Coronet.. 2 mouthpieces, music stand, and mute.. decent shape. any information helps?? thank you!
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything made before 1963 I think it is when they sold out to Selmer is going to be Pro..........How long after 1963 it took for Selmer to water things down and do the marketing tiers of Student,Intermediate,Pro is a subject for debate. The Aristocrat was a Pro horn until Selmer got hold of it. As best as I can tell the easiest way to spot the transition point on that model is to look at the valve assembly. When they go from the hour glass/wasp waist etc... design to that Bundy Like straight cylinder with the external threaded caps you know you are into student level Selmer Butchered territory!

So if it has the classic Buescher Valve assembly either the odd shape or the classic Triangle stamp on the valve assembly chances are great you have a pro trumpet! If it is missing either of those then I would pass. I have seen some post sale Selmer instruments that where still very much pro grade horns in the Aristocrat line and some that where not. I think it is a matter of them using up all the warehoused parts not some definite serial number range or sale date!Once they used up the good stuff though you can see a definate cheapening of the models.
joe7red

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, In 1964 Buescher was still turning out "low level pro" Aristocrat cornets; I have one with serial number 394,293. The valve case is flared [or hourglass shaped] with internally threaded valves and red nylon [I think] valve guides.
1977 Olds Custom Clark Terry Model
1955 Holton Super Collegiate cornet
1956 Martin Committee Deluxe cornet
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: buescher true tone 15 Reply with quote

fozzybear99 wrote:
Can someone tell me more about this trumpet? i inherited it recently and am trying to learn more about it. it is a model # 47267 Buscher Series 15 Coronet.. 2 mouthpieces, music stand, and mute.. decent shape. any information helps?? thank you!

Your Model 15 cornet was made about 1920. Other than that, not a whole lot to say other than it's a cornet. If it's in good condition, it will play and sound well. Unfortunately, too many of those are worn out.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe7red wrote:
As I said, In 1964 Buescher was still turning out "low level pro" Aristocrat cornets; I have one with serial number 394,293. The valve case is flared [or hourglass shaped] with internally threaded valves and red nylon [I think] valve guides.

I have a 450xxx series Aristocrat trumpet that plays well enough with the right mouthpiece. You can't just stick a 7C in it and go. The mouthpiece they were selling with those horns were about 7C in size and rim shape but the backbore is certainly different.

With a Kelly 5C in it, it plays nicely.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
blaser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a killer on sale right now!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260634722328&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blaser wrote:
ive got a killer on sale right now!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260634722328&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Don't be offended when it doesn't sell. I think about $200 is a more realistic price.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Axelip
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Model 234 Trumpet Reply with quote

Well, I recently impulse-bid on an old Buescher Model 234 & won; just got it in. It's in the 279xxx serial range; lacquered; just engraved "The Buescher" on the bell, though the Aristocrat series had been introduced by that serial # and the bell engraving is the 30's "Art Deco" style like on the Aristocrat saxophones of the period.

It has a small wrap, with the main tuning slide (which appears to be designed to change it to A or maybe C) wrapped slant-wise rather than the normal straight curve down. 4&1/4" bell. Can't tell what the bore size is, though it doesn't look particularly small. Though the lacquer is spotty, it's actually in great shape. Only real sign of any damage is on the second valve loop, which got it's pull knob knocked off at some point. Nothing's stuck, and the valves actually look like new (though somebody inserted them in exactly backwards order)!!

It came in a disgusting horrible case (an old King case, I think) with a gold-plated no-name mouthpiece that looks like a lot of the earlier tulip-shaped Buescher mouthpieces I've seen.

Any new info on these since KAJR's posts upstream in this thread? All I can tell is that it's supposed to be an Aristocrat-type custom built, I haven't found any info on the model 234 at Horn-u-Copia or anywhere. KAJR, does yours look like this? Here's a link to the auction, for a look-see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360317363205&si=6Xg%252FSlZ7DwI9jX%252FVd28cYhBgfJI%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Haven't played it yet -- it's not stuck, but stiff, and needs a cleaning. Plus I'm hesitant to put my mouth near anything I found in that case, which I put in a garbage bag outside the front door!!

Can anybody tell me how you go about measuring bore size?
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bore is usually defined as the inside of the second valve slide. It doesn't really matter, though.

It's about .458ish, more or less.

The only info I have is for the very similar Model 235.

That's a quick-change to A, by the way.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone finds a 1963 or earlier Buescher Super Aristocrat in good shape for a good price I highly recommend them! A lot of people online have called them " A poor Mans Martin Large Bore" I would have to disagree with that but that is not entirely a bad a thing. Mine has a darker sound then a Bach 37 and is not as compact sounding but has a solid core. The bell looks like a Bach bell externally in the shape of the flair. I would have to say that if you took a Bach 37 and darkened the tone a bit that this gives you a good idea how they sound. Very easy to play. It blows a little free'er then say an Olds Ambassador but is still very secure. Very flexible with MP change. If I drop a Bach 1 or 1.5 in it gets darker fast and very warm......If I put a 3C in it brightens up quite a bit.

The valves are by far the smoothest, fastest valves I have played! Prior to this it would have been a toss up for me between Olds valves and Getzens but the Beuscher are nice!

Mine is like new in almost every way except the leadpipe. I think these would make a great horn for anyone but especially for a young man or young laddie in H.S.!!! The bell in Nickel is low maintence and always shiny! They will hold their own against anything Bach makes today or Kanstul. If you run across a 400 in good shape at a good price then again get it! Buescher's Pro models are grossly under rated by most. Ebay is not the best place to look though as the price is climbing all the time on them now as people find out. I got mine from a pawn shop. They wanted something like $430 for it I offered them $200 in cash and they went for it. I even got a like new Buescher 15 MP with it that my oldest boy is using now in band. In fact his Teacher asked him what type of MP he was using because it has an odd shape to it. So when he told him it was a Buescher 15 the teacher had to check it out as he had never seen one before. I think the Buescher MP's are great too but it is hard to find them in good shape often the insides are terribly pitted and the rims are nicked up....The rim can be fixed easily but the internal pits would require radical machining that would total change the way they play.

The only down side to having a kid that plays trumpet is that he seems to like the same MP's I like so he is always raiding my MP's......I guess I should be glad he can not wear my shoes....LOL
Axelip
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
The bore is usually defined as the inside of the second valve slide. It doesn't really matter, though.

It's about .458ish, more or less.

The only info I have is for the very similar Model 235.

That's a quick-change to A, by the way.

Tom

Thanks for the info, Tom. Of course, turns out the only slide stuck on the horn is the second valve slide, which is missing it's pull knob!! Probably not bad stuck, but since I've got to visit my horn tech anyway, I'm just going to turn it over to him to clean & go over. I'll post later & let you know what I find.
Axelip
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't help myself -- I went ahead and cleaned up the 234 and gave it a whirl. Valves are tight and slick, but I guess the corks are worn -- seems they're a little out of adjustment, but it promises to be a fun horn once it's set up right. I felt like I was playing a laser pointer. Not that it was super-paint-peeling bright, but something about the peashooter wrap, extra length and tiny bell made it seem very focused. Pointing it straight at somebody would be very rude, like staring!!
coolsoupy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Buescher Artstocrat Reply with quote

I have an Aristocrat Cornet that I picked up for less than 100.00 and it plays as well as any "intermediate horn that I have seen. plus no dings and about 98% lacquer. My horn sn656096 from '65 or'66?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: