• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Please Don't Sell or Trade Instruments in the Forums

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Please Don't Sell or Trade Instruments in the Forums Reply with quote

The Moderators realize that the problems with the Marketplace are inconveniencing some users. Nonetheless, please refrain from using the Horns forum as a surrogate Marketplace, until such time as Todd and/or the Moderators decide otherwise.

Thanks!

Last edited by Moderators on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
dennett
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Selling instruments in the forums Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
The Moderators realize that the current shutdown of the Marketplace is inconveniencing some users. Nonetheless, please refrain from using the Horns forum as a surrogate Marketplace, until such time as Todd and/or the Moderators decide otherwise.

Thanks!

Wouldn't a "Horns for sale" forum solve that problem?
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to offer a Mt. Vernon Bach 3C mouthpiece for sale that is unaltered and in great shape but since it's not allowed I'll refrain from doing that at this time.
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

The moderators here should do what other moderators on other forums do; BAN ABUSERS!! I'm on a couple of sites where they ban your ip address for frequent violations(more than one). Hey, it works. LOL
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that this notice was posted because I almost inadvertently posted a for sale ad here for a silver Mt. Vernon B flat trumpet bell. If it were allowed I'd tell you that the unmarked bell has some imperfections in the bell rim and some evidence of repair with a couple of patches where the left hand would contact it and that I believe they were preventative rather than covering holes. It's a useable and restorable bell that I'd be happy to discuss here except that it's not permitted. Since that's the case I'll refrain from posting it here until such time that ads become permissable.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Rockford, good thing I'm not interested in your horn or mouthpiece or I'd be tempted to contact you. Thanks for clearing that all up
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help. I want to post my Martin Committee on the site but its asking me for some code ive never had . can anyone help me. Thx
ianwhunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: restricted classifieds Reply with quote

Hi,

I only joined the forum to announce my trumpet for sale on e-bay. I know that it benefits me to sell it, but when I was buyinig three years ago, your sales provided me with usefull information and links to trumpets that I was inerested in. I thought that my information would be of benefit to your members or guests.

Please let me know if you would allow me to post a link to my e-bay auction.

Best wishes

Ian
Blackbird
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: restricted classifieds Reply with quote

ianwhunter wrote:
Hi,

I only joined the forum to announce my trumpet for sale on e-bay. I know that it benefits me to sell it, but when I was buyinig three years ago, your sales provided me with usefull information and links to trumpets that I was inerested in. I thought that my information would be of benefit to your members or guests.

Please let me know if you would allow me to post a link to my e-bay auction.

Best wishes

Ian

Hi Ian, first you need to make a minimum number of posts (I think it's 5?), you can do that in a forum such as the lounge or here. Then you can open a marketplace account in the marketplace, and you can list your eBay ad under the Internet Auctions section. Good luck with the eBay sale!
progmac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Warning Reply with quote

I posted a WTB ad in the forums for a Schilke X4. I received an email from someone named Greg Murray (user name "cessna") asking me to call him and talk about it. I called, and he told me he had a gold-plated Schilke X4 he would sell for $1250. I asked for pictures and he sent me to his website...http://www.trumpetpraiseministries.com. I guess the website was supposed to "vouch" for him. He also told me a story about not wanting to use ebay because he was the victim of some fraud on there and paypal only paid him $200.

I asked if he would use escrow.com for the transaction. He said he wasn't good with computers and didn't want to.

Since I'm a skeptic, I dug up all of his old posts to help corroborate his identity and stories. Oddly, the story he told me was a verbatim copy of the first post in this thread: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71839&highlight=.

So something seemed fishy, but I thought maybe it was nothing. So I told him I would go ahead with the deal, he just needed to send me pictures. He told me the item was boxed up and ready to go, but I said I wouldn't pay without pictures.

He sent me a small, 26kb photo that looked like it was taken in a studio. He called and asked if I received the photo. I said yes. I said it looked like the trumpet was in a bag or something. He told me that he put the trumpet in a bag so as not to get fingerprints on it. He made various comments about not being good with computers, that was why the picture was so small.

Still skeptical, I did a google search of the image name. Lo and behold, I find this page: http://thompsonmusic.com/store/product3194.html. He sent me a copy of a picture of a gold plated schilke he found online! He cropped out the business card shown in the picture above.

When I found out he lied to me (he told me he removed the instrument from the packaging and took a photo), I immediately canceled the transaction. I said we could use escrow.com or he could ship the item first. That was three or four days ago and I haven't heard back.

I also did a "whois" search on the domain - trumpetpraiseministries.com. I found out that the domain was registered "by proxy" meaning that the individual registering the domain did not want to provide any contact info for whatever reason.

The whole situation smells so fishy to me, I think it almost has to be a scam. It is somewhat convoluted though, because "trumpet praise ministries" seems to be a legitimate operation performing in the north carolina area.

I am not accusing anyone of anything, but I think it is important for TH members to be aware of this guy and make sure not to complete any transaction with him unless he ships first or you use some type of escrow.

At the very least, I know for a fact that this "seller" lied to me, so be aware.
Deuceman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had messaged Progmac in private, but wanted to add that this same person tried to sell me a "like new B1" for $1000 using very similar techniques.

My BS alarm went off pretty early, and each communication with him only served to confirm my feelings further.

Seeing this message not only further cements my confidence that it's a sham artist, but also saddens me that people are going to such great lengths to cheat one another.
Truly a sad state of affairs.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how you can get in entry removed from the Google index. I Googled the trumpetpraiseministries.com site and got a link to this page.

According to his "wife" he collapsed on stage with a heart attack. He's got my stuff and I have nothing. Feeling a bit queasy.......
Deuceman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
I wonder how you can get in entry removed from the Google index. I Googled the trumpetpraiseministries.com site and got a link to this page.

According to his "wife" he collapsed on stage with a heart attack. He's got my stuff and I have nothing. Feeling a bit queasy.......

Did you send him something ? If so, I'm sorry to hear that... You might contact your local police department about filing a fraud report as well as if you have homeowners insurance.
progmac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:

He told me he had liver cancer. Liver cancer and a heart attack, wow, quite a combination.

I'm really, really, really, really, sorry veery715, but you are not going to receive whatever it was you thought you bought from him. This was just about the most advanced scam I've seen, but at this point I fully believe it is just that - a scam. There is a link to his webhost at the bottom of his page, you might contact them.

Also, I believe "Greg" is his middle name, with his full name being, "Thomas Greg Murray." I figured this out because one of the emails he sent me was from a "Thomas G. Murray."

He used the email address: cessna@yadtel.net to communicate with me initially, but most of the communication was over the phone.

On the phone he told me he was a funeral director. Here is a listing for the Thomas G Murray Funeral Parlor: http://yellowpages.aol.com/business/nc/statesville/thomas-g-murray-funeral-svc/0-201946838/?query=Funeral+Homes

The good news is, this guy isn't some Nigerian and can be tracked down and prosecuted. I was once scammed by a guy named "Morgan Engle" and here's how that turned out: http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/old/print.php?id=1280

Another thing, please file a complaint with the feds at this website:
http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

If they receive several complaint, they'll stick the feds on this guy.
Depending on how far you want to take this, I'll provide whatever help I can.
Deuceman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have his mailing address...

We could all just ship him an unwrapped raw halibut...

Sorry... that was Bad andy...
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I've removed the original content here because I don't want anyone to do anything rash.

Everything I suggested in the (now) deleted post is legal, and it's not all that tough to bring down a LOAD of grief on a scam artist. Anyone with scam problems and in need of some suggestions, shoot me a PM.

But first, make sure you've done everything to make absolutely sure it's not just some confusion. If you do that but can't get resolution, I'll be glad to send some other ideas via PM.

Last edited by MikeyMike on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning Reply with quote

progmac wrote:

Since I'm a skeptic, I dug up all of his old posts to help corroborate his identity and stories. Oddly, the story he told me was a verbatim copy of the first post in this thread: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71839&highlight=.

Check out cessna's other posts. Only seven in total so far, with two regarding a player on a Frank Sinatra session from the 60's. Cessna claims Greg Murray played the solo. But that would have made Murray about ten years old at the time...

veery... In addition to suggestions in posts above, contact your local police and give them serial number of the instrument and report it stolen so if it ever surfaces, you've got some recourse.

Call both the Sheriff's Department AND the PD in his area and do the same. Regardless of who claims or refuses jurisdiction, follow up to BOTH with WRITTEN reports including the serial number. Get a paper trail started. Could be a pattern here. And post on other forums, search his name and see if you can find others who can provide info. PM me if you want more suggestions. I've got plenty.
GGBKosherdill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am now thinking I am a victim of this Greg Murray scam. I posted looking for a Schilke B6 and basically have almost the exact same story as progmac. I also have gotten the recent e-mail that greg collapsed on stage. I am out quite a bit of money on this. Wow do I feel Stupid.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I have bought from Greg Murray and he did ship the item. He also sent me a few of his CDs. He sounds great on the CDs, but it kind of bugged me that a few of the songs sounded exactly like some recordings I heard from David O'neill (www.brasstrax.com). I had not heard the O'neill recordings in years, but the sound, arrangement, etc. sounded exactly like what I remembered. I never took the time to go listen to them again.

Following that, we agreed on a trade and I foolishly sent my horn to him thinking he was sending his to me at the same time. He never shipped his and mine never got there, USPS and Canada Post tracking have no trace of it entering the US.

I listed it as missing\stolen on a few trumpet sites and posted here on TH about the loss. A lady from one of the trumpet\cornet sites sent me an email asking who the item went to in NC. Strangely enough, she was aware of some peculiar trumpet related transactions involving Greg Murray.

Time passes and Greg emails or calls me from time to time to talk trumpets. Some times he offers to buy something I have, or checks to see if I want to buy something he has. He allegedly is friends with Phil Driscoll and once asked me if I wanted or knew anyone that wanted to buy a 50th anniversary Schilke that Phil was trying to sell. Shortly after that, it appears as if Phil or his son lists a 50th anniversary Schilke on ebay.

November 2008 Greg offers a deal that is too good to resist so I bite and send him the money. We agreed on a certain amount for three horns. After weeks of excuses (mom had a stroke, mom died, tied up with out of state probate, I'm on the road, got lots of last minute Christmas gigs, touring with Phil Driscoll in Florida, etc.), he finally provides tracking information and I eventually get the shipment. Guess what, it is only one of the three horns I purchased. I call Greg, we discuss it and he assures me the others will be sent seperately.

I am still waiting for the two horns he owes me. His wife, BJ, has sent me emails assuring me that the horns will get shipped out.

I can imagine if certain pieces of what we hear are true, then Greg's wife has a temendous challenge in front of her. Assuming she is going to do her best to make things right, what a mess for her to be left sorting it all out.

I am still optimistic that I will get what was paid for, but until I do, I am very uncomfortable.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm short on time this AM. Some suggestions here and to those who've PM'd for more help, I will send you more ideas in addition to what's posted below. Anyone else, feel free to let me know. But since a LOT of people seem to be involved, I'm posting some stuff in the open for right now.

Hopefully, it's all just a big mistake and can/will be cleared up quickly.

So... let's stat by giving the guy another chance. Given the fact that there are so many concerns, get together and let this guy know you are cooperating with each other. You ALL get paid (or get your gear returned) by the date of YOUR choice - no excuses - or you go to the police. Don't give him any extra time. Valid tracking numbers and PAID RECEIPTS (don't get fooled by UPS or FedEx SCHEDULED pickup times, which is just a way to buy time. Don't give any extra time. Point your friend to this thread to let him know you're SERIOUS. If you don't get satisfaction let me know. I'll let you know what I'd do (actually what I've done) if someone did this to me. From there you're on your own.

If you don't get satisfaction, step two... Contact ALL local authorities as suggested. Talk to the internet fraud department or division. Make sure you ALL do this individually but let the LEO's know others have been taken in as well. With the consent of the other parties, get names, dates and amounts and provide them to the authorities.

DON'T assume one call will be enough. Even if one party has called with all the data, MAKE SURE YOU CALL, TOO. Squeaky wheel, et alia. Those guys are busy. Too easy for a single contact/complaint to get dismissed as insignificant.

Call ALL authorities - state, county sheriff, state police - agencies still don't always interact as well as hoped but one agency may be investigating the same sort of thing in a different area. More nets, more chances. And if the local chief gets a call of fax from State informing him of a problem in the local area, THAT WILL GET NOTICED. And do a search. Does the state or county have an internet fraud department. May speed things up by giving you a contact name or names. Even if you find this, call EVERYBODY. The more times a particular person pops on the radar, the more attention he will get.

No matter what you are told --- "call some other agency, we cant help with internet fraud, it's out of our jurisdiction" FOLLOW UP IN WRITING WITH EVERY AGENCY YOU CAN. This will start a paper trail that won't go away. Longer trails are easier to find and can be referenced later if the name keeps popping up.

Don't forget the FBI. This is interstate and it looks like it involves several people and perhaps thousands of dollars. And that's just the trumpet world... Browse around the net for other.mentions of your friend. Enough complaints and they might be interested. Even the FBI likes some nice easy cases so they can post nice numbers.

Got to go. Get to work and be careful out there. More later.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: