• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass Master David Williams

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly, post a review once (when and if) you get the horn back.
robd4431

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Dave Williams and my experiences in Jan-Feb 2015 Reply with quote

I got a response to my email today and Dave is fine with passing along tracking numbers to and from his outsourced plating partner, Anderson plating. Since the trumpet is shipped out and back disassembled, and final fitting is likely required, I scrapped the drop ship to me idea. I'd screw it up.

Anderson plating told me that they have a 7 to 10 day turnaround for plating of a ready-to-go horns; which mine should be when Dave sends it out.

I estimated a delivery date for one of my trumpets for 2/19 or 20 based on total transit time, Anderson's work and Dave's fit and finish. Dave seems fine with my expectations.

So far so good, and I'll post again when I get the tracking # for shipment to plating from Dave.

I hold the opinion that overhaul and plating jobs are very hard to estimate. It’s like major car repair and esp. auto body work. They just don't know how long the job may really take or cost until they get the vehicle in the shop and start at it.
robd4431

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WT?

Last edited by robd4431 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
robd4431

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes I will. I'm not worried about getting my property back, because I will. Your point regarding a post addressing the quality of the job (complete or not) and the duration it takes is well taken. In the meantime, I'll try to report events as they happen without editorial comment. We'll see if I can do it.
robd4431

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Trumpet shipped to plating yesterday... Reply with quote

Should be delivered to Anderson by Thurs. I have the USPS tracking number and it's legit. So far, not a lot to report, except it took longer than I wanted to do the prep work, but not crazy long. just under 4 weeks. That includes an "off-week" for Dave.
robd4431

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Got the first trumpet back! Reply with quote

The one trumpet I sent to Dave is back. He did the prep, used Anderson silver plating + the shipping and final assembly & fitting, and shipped it back for $495. It is beautiful, and plays as well or better than when I sent it.

Note: this did take 9 weeks, and I was in communication with Dave the whole time. He's in Raleigh NC these days. There were some weather related delays no one could have avoided there.

I'm very satisfied with the work and the price, only wish it could have been finished earlier. My guess is that the fastest it could have been done is 6 weeks.

Waiting for the "hard case" - a full restoration of a pretty well banged up Schilke B2LB. I did not expect this to be done much before Easter (4/4/2015) Basically a 90 day job. We'll see what happens there.

Dave is not much for e-mail. Calls are better if you need to get an update.
robd4431

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service of the second horn is a serious disappointment and it was returned to me prematurely at my request. I fired Dave and will have the contracted work (silver & gold plating, fit & finish) completed by others. After four (4) months the horn was at least stripped to the bare metal and dent work completed. The contracted Amado water keys were not installed/not included in the shipment however. In my experience Dave has a very BIG problem keeping his word. Status reports on this job were simply false, all the way along.

My trumpet was damaged in final transit back to me of course, but not Dave's fault exactly. I never use USPS, but he did. It seems USPS opened the box and did not re-pack the trumpet properly. Dave offered repair (NFW!), and now my local tech has (redundant) repair work for obvious reasons. I'm very happy to get my horn back, regardless of its state.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Band Mqster Reply with quote

This is the reason, ( and I know there are very reputable repairmen out there) that I will go in my city and that is it. If the service window just kept going I could go back in and take their shop apart one board at a time. In another life and like 47 years ago I started to. They found my trumpet and I got it back to take to another place for adjustment and repair. I feel for you, man
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! This thread started in 2008 and I remember Dave's ads. Wonder if he's still alive? If not, we could put this into a "Taps" category
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: