• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dumb question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Dumb question Reply with quote

I know this is a dumb question and has probably been answered a thousand times on this forum, but I don't have time to read all the old posts. I've heard a lot about Stamp and what a great teacher he was. And I believe it, because of all the great players, who studied with him. My old college teacher, Dr. Richard Burkart at Ohio State, told me that if I ever started taking lessons again, to ensure I was studying from someone, who understood and taught from a basis of understanding Stamp's philosophy of teaching.

Well, I'm living in an apartment out here in California, and I don't have a piano with me. That's at my home in Texas. And I'm not sure I can practice the Stamp exercises correctly without one anyway. But also I have read every printed word in the Stamp Warm up Book, and looked over every exercise. And I still have this dumb question. Just exactly what is it that the Stamp exercises do for you as a player? What are all the benefits to be derived from approaching the study of trumpet playing from the Stamp perspective? I did not see that question answered in the book, and I can't help but wonder, "OK if I find someone to explain all this to me and some how acquire a piano so that I can play the exercises correctly, then what"? What should I expect from my efforts?

Thanks for any information you folks can give me about this.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: James Stamp Reply with quote

I took several lessons with (former Empire Brass Player Charlie Lewis) while I was attending Berklee College of Music (1979-1983). he was and still is a very Big James Stamp enthusiast. At the time my chops went from good to "melt-down" They felt almost Brittle. . . Major Flexiblity problems etc. . . from playing a lot of Big band ensembles with little warm-up time etc. . . Charlie helped me get it together with the help of focusing my Air, Thinking TOH to open my air stream and tone. . . using simple exercises from the Arban's and introducing me to some of the Stamp exercises. The Biggest PLUS for me personally was how work on expanding and developing my range of flexibility on the horn. he also showed some excellent Breathing exercises too. Contact Charles Lewis for the Stamp 411.

Good Luck__

He is currently a professor at Berklee College of Music

Mr. Lewis went through a complete Chop rebuilding period himself, so he's be someone to discuss Jimmy Stamp with. . .

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.T.,

I think it is possible to do the Stamp exercises without a piano and still get much of the benefit -- I almost never use a piano or other pitch reference when I do the exercises. There is a new version of the book that includes a CD that has examples and backgrounds for the exercises.

As I said in another thread, I credit the Stamp approach with much of what is good with my sound, and with what improvements I've made in my range. That, and an extremely good and patient teacher! I'm a lot more relaxed that I used to be when I play; I had no idea how hard I was fighting the horn until I learned a better way to play.

Also, pick up a copy of Roy Poper's book about the approach and the exercises, it really clarified a lot of things for me.

Good luck!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in Southern California I can direct you to a great local teacher who studied for years with James Stamp. In an hour he can give you a pretty good idea how it works and what you can expect to get out of it.
chiefsfano1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher continually tells me that Stamp's are for flow of air, breath support, and range(through air). He says to practice them like it's a job because they help tremendously in the long run. Like above, the newer version has a CD with backrounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: