• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is Stamp?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atrumpeteer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: What is Stamp? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I've been browsing the stamp section for a while, and it really got my attention, but nothing really told me what exactly is the stamp method. Some even said it was not even really a method, and if it's not then what did James Stamp do with his students what was his approach?
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "approach" is exactly the right term. I am far from expert, but I would venture to say that the Stamp approach is focused on efficient, minimum-effort playing. The Stamp book has a series of exercises, many of which are used by many as warm-ups, that guide you to that relaxed, efficient place. There's a book by Roy Poper that provide more explanation that what's in the Stamp book itself -- I highly recommend both. The approach is compatible with many of the other approaches you'll find on TH. The only place I see a clear conflict is with Reinhardt -- Stamp uses pedal tones, while Reinhardt forbids them. I would personally have some trouble reconciling Stamp with Caruso, but that may well be a result of how little I know about Caruso.

However ... I think the best way to understand the approach is to study with someone who knows the approach. Once you "get it" (even if you don't do it perfectly) and understand the goal, you might be able to work more independently. A teacher would be better, IMO.

I credit the Stamp approach with much of what is good with my sound, and with what improvements I've made in my range.

I hope that those more knowledgeable will correct any mistakes I've made, and perhaps add some clarification.
atrumpeteer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: