• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Please Help Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a jazz combo and my pianist cannot comp. We are playing Nica's Dream. Does anyone have the transcriptions to Horace Silver comping to it when he was with Art Blakey? If you do please leave a reply so we can talk. By the way, I can't transcribe very well so please help out.
Marcinkiewicz E12.4 Ingram

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
-Epsilon Gamma

"Once a Sinfonian, Always a Sinfonian, Long Live Sinfonia!!!"
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bro, but I don't think you're going to have any luck with that. There is a very limited amount of comping transcriptions out there, and even if there were a transcription of Horace on this tune, I wouldn't reccomend you go that route. Why don't you work with your piano player and help him/her learn to comp? If the player has no potential to learn, you should kick them out and play with no chordal instrument, but otherwise, embrace the opportunity to teach somebody about music. It's a skill you need as a band leader no matter what level the people you're playing with are at.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you found a comping transcription of the tune it would only give you a short term solution to his problem. A good beginning would be to have him get the book "The Jazz Piano Book" by Mark Levine. It has all the basics of comping and more.
http://www.shermusic.com
Larry Smithee
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your pianist the recording, and tell him to learn the rhythms Horace is using, and tell him to use those rhythms with his own voicings (avoids having to transcribe comping chords). It's most likely the rhythmic part that's giving him the most trouble. Even with the most basic root-position chords, if it's rhythmically hip and solid, it'll be fine until the pianist learns new voicings (from any piano voicing book, or from Bill Evans transcriptions).
-mk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: