• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

***PIRACY!***

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
equally well tempered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: ***PIRACY!*** Reply with quote

I would like to take this opportunity to share my discovery of blatant piracy by a full-time professional performer/entertainer. I want to assure everyone that what I present are facts and can be confirmed by someone with unquestionable credibility. I have in my posession a cd entitled "A Trumpet Extravaganza" by George Staerkel (Music Director/Producer and featured artist with the Barleen's Arizona Opry and regular performer at Mountain Annies Dinner Theater in Ruidoso, New Mexico). This cd is just 1 of 26 cd's of his available on the web. George plays many instruments at his "Branson style" show, including his favorite...the TRUMPET. This trumpet cd consists of 22 tracks. I have confirmed that at least 15 of those tracks are stolen...13 of which are Doc Severinsen originals and 1 of Maynard Ferguson. I also had the chance of listening to another cd of George's..."Highlights from the Tribute Series". The "tribute series" is a collection of recordings of George "playing" on his collection of different artists' original instruments including: (trumpet) Doc Severinsen, Herb Alpert, Al Hirt and Bill Chase. (sax) Boots Randolph and Tex Beneke. I identified more stolen tracks of Doc severinsen and some of Boots Randolph (which confirms he has stolen from more than the trumpet world)...I'm sure there are others. There ARE tracks I am fairly certain ARE George, but they are the minority.

I have emailed contacts on Doc's and Maynard's website but have not had any confirmed progress. I am passionate about defending the art of music and the artists that put so much time and talent (not to mention $$) into their gift, and would like to see that an end be put to this fraudulent/illegal activity. He is not only stealing from the artists, but from the public who ignorantly enjoy his recordings.

I welcome constructive comments.

Thank you.
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is your first post - I think that we can come to the reasonable conclusion that you obviously have a beef with this guy. Why not just contact him directly instead of dragging this community into YOUR problem with this guy ??

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am saddend to say it, but the above post is 100% correct. I have also heard these recordings and compared them to my collection of CDs and LPs of Doc, Maynard, etc. Yup, they are identical.

These recordings do not give credit to the original artists or labels. The cover has George Staerkel's name and a photo of a trumpet. (Just google his name and you will find his webiste, complete with photos of all of his bogus albums.) Normally, legal use of a track will require the licensee to list the copyright holder. There are none here. He sells these recordings at his live shows and through his website.

Worse yet is the show itself. George performs often on the trumpet. He is a one man show, playing with taped backgrounds. Some of his tunes sound like cheesy computerized orchestra background, and George actually plays. He is an "OK" player, but nothing comparable to Severinsen, Ferguson, Hirt, Alpert, etc.

Now and then he will tell the audience that the next piece is so high, loud, and exciting that he might hurt their ears. He explains that he is going to have to place his bell in his home-mae "scream box," a clear pexiglass box with a small microphone in it. The music starts. . . sounding sort of like the Tonight Show orchestra (it is!!!), Maynard's band (it is!!!), etc. and he fakes playing while the real Doc, Maynard, or whomever plays over the speakers. Unbelievable!! Most people in the audience are fooled and think he is actually performing. They tell their friends that there is this really great player who performs on all sorts of instruments, sounding just as good as Boots Randolph, Doc Severinsin, et al.

Trumpet players, especially players with good record collections, can tell that George is a farce from the get-go. I am surprised that he gets away with this, raking in hundreds of dollars each night. Many tracks stolen are from older recordings such as "Brass Roots," Conquistador," "Rhapsody for Now," and "The Tonight Show with Doc Severinsen." But, even younger trumpet players can easily identify the unique signature sounds of Doc, Maynard, and others.

I have to admit that he is entertaining and creative. How else could think up a "scream box?" The dinner theater he plays at is in Apache Junction, AZ, a far east, western style suburb of Phoenix.

Dave Hickman
equally well tempered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding reply #1: Please don't assume anything. I created a new user name as to keep my anonymity. I have considered contacting him personally but have reservations. I thought many musicians would feel as strongly as I do regarding this type of illegal activity. I will say again, I welcome any and all "constructive" comments. No assumptions please. [/code]
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say out the guy. Alert the record companies and have them sic the copyright lawyers on his butt and sue the bugger down to his skivvies.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Search his name at youtube.
wow.
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....check out his site....reminds me of a televangelist.....people actually pay to see this guy? Look at all of his instruments....you'd think he was Leonard Bernstein or something...everybody giving him their personal instruments..( not)... "AL HIRT MODEL" on my horn doesn't mean I was a friend of Al's and he gave it to me, you know, his personal horn he played....sheesh!! What a pimple on the ass of the world... makes Milli Vanilli look good by comparison.

Bob List
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpHwaicSkRk

LOL. Man he sucks.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawyers will be paid.....YEAY!!!

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Eb" the man said and he was right... E was flat, G was flat, C was flat...

Wait 'til Herb Alpert's lawyer's get wind of this. UCLA will be getting 60 million.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he actually played on that tune! I wonder if anyone can find a video with the scream box. (?)
Nespy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: oops... Reply with quote

ARRGGHH!!!!

Sorry, I read the title of the thread and got all excited.

(backs out of the thread sheepishly....baa)
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"equally well tempered" wrote

"Regarding reply #1: Please don't assume anything. I created a new user name as to keep my anonymity."

In other words you want this community to do the dirty work because you don't have the balls to deal with it yourself - right. Love these anonymous posters. Gutless wonders. I don't know who is sleazyer - the poster or the guy doing the piracy. Sheesh

"I have considered contacting him personally but have reservations."

I say again - a gutless wonder. The world is full of em. If it bothers you so much then DO something about it. Don't just dump YOUR problems here. Confront the guy, call Doc et al, call the record companies, call the attorneys - but DO SOMETHING YOURSELF

Sheesh

" I thought many musicians would feel as strongly as I do regarding this type of illegal activity."

But you did absolutely nothingbut hide behind your screen name - right ???

Seth Moore
Here is my name for the whole world to see - ya see how it's done ???

Billy Wilder
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oops... Reply with quote

Nespy wrote:
ARRGGHH!!!!

Sorry, I read the title of the thread and got all excited.

(backs out of the thread sheepishly....baa)

1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bothered by the pseudonym. I am, however, making faces over the combination of the piracy issue and the guy's playing in the video[s]. It was mentioned above, but...people paid to see that?

Last edited by WildCat on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
equally well tempered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In other words you want this community to do the dirty work because you don't have the balls to deal with it yourself - right. Love these anonymous posters. Gutless wonders. I don't know who is sleazyer - the poster or the guy doing the piracy. Sheesh

....again, please don't assume.

Quote:
"I have considered contacting him personally but have reservations."

I say again - a gutless wonder. The world is full of em. If it bothers you so much then DO something about it. Don't just dump YOUR problems here. Confront the guy, call Doc et al, call the record companies, call the attorneys - but DO SOMETHING YOURSELF

...again, you assume you know what I have or haven't done when you have no idea how much time or effort I have used in this matter...please don't assume.

Quote:
But you did absolutely nothing but hide behind your screen name - right ???

...again, assuming...please mr. moore, I'm trying to save you from embarrassing yourself...please don't assume. I have asked nothing of anyone except to say "I welcome constructive comments".

Thanks
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="equally well tempered

...again, assuming...please mr. moore, I'm trying to save you from embarrassing yourself...please don't assume. I have asked nothing of anyone except to say "I welcome constructive comments".

Thanks[/quote]

Who's the putz here that has to hide behind a psudonymchamp ??? You got constructive comments - do something or go away !! Maybe you can get a job playing in the guy's band - lol

Seth Moore
My REAL name !!!

Billy Wilder
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Stomvi wrote:
[quote="equally well tempered

Thanks

Who's the putz here that has to hide behind a psudonymchamp ??? You got constructive comments - do something or go away !! Maybe you can get a job playing in the guy's band - lol

Seth Moore
My REAL name !!![/quote]

Some local scenes are lame enough to where outing a fraud can get you blackballed among the sea of crap around you. I've been through that, had my name soiled because I didn't play a stupid game, and relocated appropriately. I honestly think the guys using a different name is the least of the world's worries, however, I'm curious as to why the constructive comments are needed in the first place. I can only imagine a riot being incited over this situation and...well, here we are.
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="WildCat]

I'm curious as to why the constructive comments are needed in the first place. ?[/quote]

Yup - the guy claims that the dude's actions bother him so much - but then doesn't do anything about it directly and then comes in here and cries about it. Boo Hoo. What's gonna happen anyway. The pirate is obviously very small potatos and the only thing that is gonna happen is that he might receive a cease and desist letter from somebodies attorney. Big whoop. There is obviously not gonna be any money there for anyone and it wouldn't even pay for the attorneys fees.
The act is so bad anyway - I gotta believe that Doc has enough of a sense of humor that he would probably be rolling on the floor laughing like all the rest of us here

Seth Moore
My REALname

Billy Wilder
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The act is so bad anyway - I gotta believe that Doc has enough of a sense of humor that he would probably be rolling on the floor laughing like all the rest of us here

Its first off not funny to illegally pirate music and bastardize it, but disrespect anyone else who thinks that doing illegal things is bad. I will never support piracy, and by your responses it seems like you give 2 cents less about if people steal music. Imagine if you sat down, recorded an entire set of CDs, and some chump makes big bucks by dubbing over you. That's like saying, "Please, let's all get together and ruin each others careers." Even if you don't like that poster for being anonymous, he is allowed to:

A) Speak on a public forum

and

B) Put down the fact that someone is doing something illegal.

"Do not be afraid to copy someones style, it is through this process that we begin to develop our own."~Phil Smith, New York Philharmonic principal trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: