• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lesson 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some questions about lesson 4. My first question is what is the purpose of developing the back of the toungue with all those K's exercises?

My other question is that on lesson 4 we go into the herbert l clarke studies book.

1st. Do we follow the directions the Herbert L. Clarke put on the book? He says to do each exercise in study one 7-8 times in one breath I can only do them like 5 or 6 times. What can i do to help me get to the 8 times with out running out of air?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-14 19:49, trjeam wrote:
I have some questions about lesson 4. My first question is what is the purpose of developing the back of the toungue with all those K's exercises?

My other question is that on lesson 4 we go into the herbert l clarke studies book.

1st. Do we follow the directions the Herbert L. Clarke put on the book? He says to do each exercise in study one 7-8 times in one breath I can only do them like 5 or 6 times. What can i do to help me get to the 8 times with out running out of air?

You answered your own question about the K tonguing. You do it to develop your tongue. Enough said!

As for the Clarkes, you should only be doing each one with one repeat (so you do each one two times). The first time through the Clarkes, you are doing them to learn them accurately and develop your tonguing and also a bit of strength and endurance development. Speed and repetitions to develop fingers and air-control come later. Refer to Page 28 of Claude's "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" for a full explanation.

Also, I suggest you go to the website listed in my Profile and thoroughly read what I wrote about my studying with Claude. I think it will answer many questions you might have now and/or in the future. That website address is:

http://mattgraves.netfirms.com/john_mohan.htm

All for now!

John Mohan

[ This Message was edited by: John Mohan on 2002-01-15 07:39 ]
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-15 07:37, John Mohan wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-01-14 19:49, trjeam wrote:

You answered your own question about the K tonguing. You do it to develop your tongue. Enough said!

As for the Clarkes, you should only be doing each one with one repeat (so you do each one two times). The first time through the Clarkes, you are doing them to learn them accurately and develop your tonguing and also a bit of strength and endurance development. Speed and repetitions to develop fingers and air-control come later. Refer to Page 28 of Claude's "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" for a full explanation.

Also, I suggest you go to the website listed in my Profile and thoroughly read what I wrote about my studying with Claude. I think it will answer many questions you might have now and/or in the future. That website address is:

http://mattgraves.netfirms.com/john_mohan.htm

All for now!

John Mohan

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: John Mohan on 2002-01-15 07:39 ]</font>

Thanks John Mohan. I was a little afraid because I couldn't do the first study of the clarkes book 8-16 times in one breath like he said. thank you for clearing that up. And thanks for the references
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: