• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who plays on a Schilke 24

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick an orangatang in the little end and blow?
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's dig up this rotting corpse of a thread once again!

Some idle musings on a stormy spring day here...(googled for "who uses a Schilke 24"):

This spring, I agreed to play Euphonium in our community band at the request of my friend who wanted to switch back to trumpet for a while to keep his chops up. Now, I really enjoy Euph, but as fate would have it, I got a call to play trumpet on a paying gig next month (did not expect this to happen!). Too late in the rehearsal cycle to back out of the low brass section at this time, so I got out my trumpet(s), and dang! The mouthpieces felt like a pencil eraser on my lips! I normally play 3C-ish pieces on trumpet, so I got the big idea to look for my old Schilke 24 that I have had lurking in the mouthpiece locker for YEARS...in addition to the Bach 1 that I used when I was an orchestral player years ago...Surprise! The Schilke mitigated the shock of switching back and forth (the Euph piece is a 6 1/2 AL) to a much greater degree than the Bach 1 and my usual Mt. Vernon 2 and 3C sizes. I even had decent range up to F and G (three and four ledger lines above the staff) with that flower pot of a mouthpiece!

Gonna use it on the gig...get my money's worth out of that old Schilke I bought probably 40 years ago...wouldn't want to play a 3 hour lead gig with it, but it sure sounds good!
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that this type of discussion is endlessly repeated to no avail. Find the mouthpiece that works for you, for what type of playing you do, and forget mouthpiece specifications and who else plays what. The only way to do this is to try them.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self deleted, it was just one of those snarky mood days.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
moketrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this Russian trumpeter, Gennady Nikonov, uses a Schilke 24. I read it on a Russian music blog [googletranslate] a while back. Perhaps our Russian TH friends can confirm.

Link
moketrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another video of trumpeter Gennady Nikonov:

Link
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only personal friend I know that plays a Schilke 24 mouthpiece is a trombone player who doubles on trumpet. (great player on both). He said he got it because it was the largest trumpet mouthpiece rim he could find, and made it easy to go between the instruments.
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to "play" it (still a beginner) 6 months ago since I got one for dirty cheap.
What to say, it's huge... but not unplayable. You get a huge sound but obviously your will be in serious troubles above the standard range.
You can manage to get high notes but they will come out weak, and you have no support whatsoever from the MP. So you'll have to blow the hell out to get volume on these notes, and your chops will be abused, bye bye endurance.
The "easy range" (up to G above the stuff) is easy as any other MP. Getting to high C just a bit trickier, but doable. Above high C you get the problems mentioned above, and I think you it's really where this MP should never be.
I switched for a Bach 3c, that is what I'm still learning on.
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well out of curiosity I took the 24 out of the drawer and gave it a quick try.
It's actually easier than I remembered to play.
Compared to the 3c the low register is HUGE, truly powerful, and you het higher overall volume across the entire standard range. High range is more brilliant on the 3c, noticeably darker on the 24. It's actually not difficult to go up over high C, but yeah you do feel the burn way sooner. Of you look for support on the upper lip, when you are tired, you'll find nothing unfortunately.
What to say it's a marvelous orchestral MP, but maybe a more rational choice for the role would be a 20 or a 22 (I haven't tried those, I'm just guessing). Definitely not a MP for endurance.
Trompette111

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people can 'play' this mouthpiece but I think not many can actually 'play' it
moketrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Schilke 24
Interview with Gennady Nikonov (using google translate):

Interview with Gennady Nikonov for Brassmusic.Ru
[GN] - Gennady Nikonov, [RD] - Roman Dubnitsky
RD - Gena, what's your pipe?
GN - Almost all I play on the tseynoy instrument, which I have three.
RD - A mouthpiece?
GN - Big Mouthpiece - Schilke 24, a lot of problems, but I wouldn’t change the sound
RD - When did you realize that up to the third is not a problem for you?
GN - Hmm ... a pioneer could play both taller and more often, but then with professional growth, when you become confused, you begin to understand what is really beautiful ... Uh ... honestly, you never thought about it.
RD - Do you know where to take your breath?
GN - I know!

RD - Are you a fan of your business?
GN - Yes.
RD - And would have sung the part "Traviata" in Mariinsky
GN - Maybe in a year, two laid over me and a pipe.
RD - A normal staging with an orchestra?
GN - The fact is that I have another voice - the soprano is much higher
RD - And yet? ...
GN - Hmm ...
RD - 5000 dollars?
GN - Uh ...
RD - 10,000 !!!?
GN - Yes no. Not!!!
Once, when Gena worked in the Chapel, on tour in Novgorod, he and several orchestra students went to lunch in one of the canteens and at the entrance they were stopped by a gallant employee with plates in their hands, who said that the canteen is closing and if they want to eat, let them look another place. All began to beg her to let in hungry artists, but to no avail. Desperate to eat, they had already turned to leave, but then Gena, kneeling on one knee at the "cook's" feet, loudly sang something opera with the high soprano, the aunt shuddered in surprise and almost dropped the plates and, mumbled something like "well that you guys do not have to worry so much, "let the guest performers inside.

RD - What do you need to get to the Theater?
GN - ... ??? ... in Mariinsky do you mean?
RD - Yes!
GN - Haha (nervously). Yes, nothing is needed, as the cards will fall. And if you did not get there, consider - you are a happy person.
RD - And what do you need to lose your job in the theater?
GN - Need to do your own thing.
RD - ... ??? ...
GN - Yes, yes, your business!
RD - Kix top is considered?
GN - Cixes are not considered at all if they are from the heart.
Once, Stadell Alexander (tuba, "the second composition" of the St. Petersburg Philharmonic), while still an artist of the chapel played out in its corridors, Gena Nikonov passed by, hearing random Cixi, he calmly approached and opened the nearest cabinet with the words "PC", pulled from there an imaginary phone and said: "Hello, Viktor Vasilyevich (?!), (meaning V. Sumerkin, the curator of copper) and Shtadel Kiksanul two times!"
and closing the locker retired.

RD - Who is cooler, Canadian or Empire?
GN - Both are good. Canadian more techies, the Empire more with the soul of play.

Excerpt of interview. For the entire interview please visit the source (Sunday, March 6th, 2006): https://brassmusic-ru.livejournal.com/

Link
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moketrumpet wrote:
Here is another video of trumpeter Gennady Nikonov:

Link

I'd be interested what a Reinhardt expert has to say about his placement and horn angle... it probably goes a way to explaining how he can make it work.

Anyway - although it's not the sort of tone I go after he is certainly nice to listen to if he stays in the staff. At the 6 minute mark he's clearly struggling to articulate and sustain a note that isn't particularly high.

I thought the Schilke 24 was originally made for Ed Tarr because he wanted a modern mouthpiece the same size as his baroque one. Maybe that's just a rumour...

I've got one kicking around that I whip out in lessons and play excerpts from the Brandenburg to demonstrate that chops will always trump gear but I wouldn't dream of doing a gig on it.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
Legitbrass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize in advance for kicking this thread, but was killing time and perusing the mouthpiece forum and couldn't pass up this Schilke 24 banter. My 24 was affectionately referred to as my "pocket flugel." Being primarily a C-trumpet (or higher) guy for over 4-decades, I'd be occasioned to need to simulate a cornet or flugel. I'd slap this into whatever Bb was occupying a slot in the gig bag and BOOM! - I could make it pass (so long as it wasn't an extended flugel solo that anyone would be expecting to recognize). More often it was cornet-like underpinnings to a worship service. No need for it any longer, but it still occupies a spot on the mouthpiece stand and holds some unique memories. I was playing a 60's vintage Bach 1 w/22 throat and I still fell into that Schilke mouthpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: