• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mic sound reflector

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Mic sound reflector Reply with quote

Hi, would anyone know where i could find a ( Don't really know what to call them ) plastic/perspex? sound reflector thing that you stick on the mic so you can hear yourself better when playing? I've seen them being used ( usually a disc shape ) but i can't find anything on the internet.
Thanks.
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

www.soundback.com
No need to thank me. Take care
jaysville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i will anyway. Thanks
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get one and have an outdoor gig, make sure you put a sandbag or something on the mic stand so it doesn't get blown over by the wind. Happened to me and trashed a horn.

Brian Scriver
www.brianscriver.com
B6Blower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: http://www.morganmusicproducts.com/ModelSelection.htm

I like this particular one because the clip works with virtually any mic, including the square-shaped Sennheisers.

Mine is square with fours holes in it. In large venues where the monitor mix is lousy, this simple item can be a lifesaver. Eliminates the tendency to want to overblow whenever you are not getting feedback from the room. Also indispensable for outdoor gigs!

Have fun.
TrumpetFunk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian, didn't you just cut yours out of a piece of plexi yourself ?

If so, what drill bit did you use ?

Last time I tried to cut plexi (for a music cover) I totally gummed up my jigsaw blade. Though it wasn't an expensive one. I also tried "scribing" a line fairly deep & breaking it over the edge of a bench. But I still got a nasty edge on my final product, even after sanding.

Anyone else have tips on this ?
B6Blower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are special knives available for cutting plexi. Jig saw should work with the right blade. For the holes, use a hole saw attachment on your drill. Holes can be 1.5 to 2" in diameter depending on how large your reflector is. By the time you buy the plexi, saw blade, knife, hole saw, etc., you'll probably wish you had purchased one of the commercially available reflectors. I do not like the ones with the rubber grommet in the middle that slips over the mic. The Note Bandit clip is much better IMO. Fits better on a wide variety of mics and allows you to adjust the angle of the reflector for best results.
Treblehorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to hijack the thread, but being the plastic guy I am, I can add a little on the plastics questions.

Use as fine a blade as you can, and don't push the saw. Routers work well also. When you do the scribe and break, follow it with progressively finer paper all the way to wet sanding. Same rules for sawed edges. Finish with a light pass of a propane torch across the edge, and it will be as clear as the sheet.

Typical plastics used for this are acrylic ( perspex in Europe, plexiglass in US) or polycarbonate (Lexan).

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Whole buncha brass. Big, small, short, long, coiled and straight. Someday I'll be able to play them.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start with a fine file or rasp, then switch to sandpaper. Rest as above. Don't over do it with the torch at the end. Lexan's a little easier to work with, I think.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetFunk wrote:
Hey Brian, didn't you just cut yours out of a piece of plexi yourself ?

If so, what drill bit did you use ?

Last time I tried to cut plexi (for a music cover) I totally gummed up my jigsaw blade. Though it wasn't an expensive one. I also tried "scribing" a line fairly deep & breaking it over the edge of a bench. But I still got a nasty edge on my final product, even after sanding.

Anyone else have tips on this ?

I had a sign shop do mine. My brother is a sign artist and the price was right! Mine are 12" diameter with a 1" hole in the center. I was finding that they work too well and I was starting to get quite a ringing in the ears the next morning after a gig. I don't use them much now. Bri

Brian Scriver
www.brianscriver.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: