• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need Advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeadTrumpetx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Need Advice. Reply with quote

After doing some reading I decided that I am going to get a Bach. I have heard that they are jsut as good, if not better than Yamaha and they sell for the same and sometimes less in better condition because they don't have the super mega reputation that Yamaha has. (Yamaha makes everything from isntruments to cars. O_o)

Anyways, I have been playing the trumpet for a few years now, and decided it is time to advance to a college level trumpet, seeing that I am going to college in Fall. (Yeah I know I am 16, Google the Washington Running Start Program if you are wondering how a 16 year old got in to college.)

No getting back on to topic, I want to get a Bach. I am willing to spend 800 dollars, since it is all I can afford. I am getting a summer job, plus I have a good Getzen cornet that I don't want and that I am willing to sell. So my questions for you are...

How much should I sell my cornet for. It has one ding on the second valve slide, and a very tiny one on the bell, aside from that there are no scratches that I can notice, and it very good, plays perfetly, slides move like butter . It is an Eterna by Getzen, don't know model number or anything because it is my Band locker. Given the details what do you think ti will sell for.

And what kind of Bach trumpet should I get?

Danke mehr! (Thanks alot!)
ChuckNorrisOfTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$800 is not going to buy you a professional model trumpet from any company. That is what you want if you are serious about playing in college (as in being a music major). If not then you will end up getting an intermediate model... but the difference between beginner and intermediate is so small that it just makes more sense to get the pro models.
Cromer Custom D/Eb
Schilke P5-4 Piccolo
Getzen Bb Cornet
ACB Flugelhorn

"There is no way to realize your potential unless you throw yourself into it" ~Armando Ghitalla
LeadTrumpetx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not getting a music major in college, I am going in to medicine ultimatley becoming a physician. However, I have seen used Bach trumpets go on ebay at the 800 dollar range, and I wish to get one. Music is a mig part of my life and I do intend on joining the Seattle Symphony, and many other music groups.

I need a good instrument, I can get one of the right price on eBay so it's okay.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold onto your Getzen cornet if you can. Someday you will regret having sold it.

There's nothing wrong with buying a used Bach. They are usually good, and there are many out there. B&S is a quality German-made copy of Bach. A used B&S Challenger I or II would be an acceptable substitute. The Conn Vintage One is less known, but just as good. If you see a Conn V1 used in good condition, snap it up.
% CarolBrass Bb Cornet, Eurobell C Trumpet, and Bb Flugelhorn
% Brasspire Unicorn Piccolo Trumpet
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChuckNorrisoftrumpet,

I hate to have to disagree.. because you might kick my behind But I got my Strad and picc BOTH for 800 bucks. Ebay and TH marketplace.

LeadtrumpetX,

Ebay is a wonderful resource for finding used horns, as well as the TH Marketplace. Although, do be careful of scam ads and make sure you're getting what's REALLY there. I often do not buy anything without pictures.. ALWAYS REQUEST PICTURES!! (with dates on them) and always be in contact with the seller for tracking numbers, shipping methods, prices and what have you. Also, speaking on the phone with the seller is a good plan too.

Bach does make a great trumpet, and their reputation throughout the music industry is just as good as Yamaha's (although Bach's less than desirable consistency is notorious..)

Seattle symphony eh? They might want some musical credentials though. Perhaps a minor would help that cause.
ChuckNorrisOfTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got ripped off if you got them that cheap or you got them like 15 years ago. I wouldn't trust anyone selling a pro model that cheap.
Cromer Custom D/Eb
Schilke P5-4 Piccolo
Getzen Bb Cornet
ACB Flugelhorn

"There is no way to realize your potential unless you throw yourself into it" ~Armando Ghitalla
okeyjeff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. Bach's don't have the same rep as Yamaha?

To see the world through the eyes of a 16 year old...

As a future member, maybe you should call the Seattle Symphony and see what they play. Of course once your a physician and a professional orchestral player (principal trumpet no doubt) you'll be able to afford a Yamaha and a Bach!!!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice. Reply with quote

LeadTrumpetx wrote:
After doing some reading I decided that I am going to get a Bach. I have heard that they are jsut as good, if not better than Yamaha and they sell for the same and sometimes less in better condition because they don't have the super mega reputation that Yamaha has.

Wow, I haven't heard about this "super mega reputation". I am surprised we haven't seen this on at least one thread here.

Seriously, some people here would agree with you that Yamahas are the best. Some would argue Schilke. Some would argue Bach. And on and on.

However, I think the majority of people here would state that Yamahas are a good pro horn as are most of the true pro horns sold today.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChuckNorrisOfTrumpet wrote:
They got ripped off if you got them that cheap or you got them like 15 years ago. I wouldn't trust anyone selling a pro model that cheap.

the guy had at LEAST 15 different bach trumpet from varying dates in production from 1000 down to 750 buy it now. I picked one from early 80's.the guy finds them, cleans them up if need be and sells them around Christmas time and after (got mine in january) until they're gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: