• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 8310Z vs. 6310Z

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Yamaha 8310Z vs. 6310Z Reply with quote

Hi gang,

Would anyone know the differences in inside diameter of the upper and lower legs of the main tuning slides of the 6310Z and the 8310Z?

The reason I am asking is because at the end of a long gig, I tire on the 8310Z. I think the main tuning slide of the 6310Z is a bit smaller and would provide a bit more resistance. I want to confirm this before I order one to try.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The 8310Z has a large bore tuning slide which the 6310Z does not. Though, the 6310Z is not made anymore you can find some deals on used ones. The sound and feedback are very different on the two horns. the 8310Z has a warmer sound with better player feedback. You may need only to change you mouthpiece backbore or work to get used to the larger feel.

Mike
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike.

I had a 6310Z and sold that to buy the 8310Z which I prefer for the features you mentioned. It plays quite open as compared to the 6310Z.

Thanks for your response.

Dave
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike and Dave,

I respectfully disagree with the info on the tuning slide. I have info on both horns, and both have .463 tuning slides. I've owned both horns, and presently still have and play the 8310Z. There is more of a difference in the leadpipe between horns, as well as the bell being slightly different. Both are step bore horns, like the Schilke B6/B7. The Yamaha having a .445 valve section, and the Schilke B6 having a .450 valve section.

I've used a Curry heavy bottom cap on the third valve in the past which seems to tighten up the slots a bit. I now use the Harrelson 3/8" bottom caps. They don't weigh as much, so you can use all three.

Pete
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to try a different mouthpiece with a tighter backbore to give me a bit more resistance.

Thanks again,
Dave
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave; Great thread; I've read and discussed the difference in the 6310Z and the 8310Z previously but only have experience with the 8310Z.

For me, I can't get used to a small backbore mouthpiece with my Z. I've successfully used a shallow with other horns but seem to get backed up when I try it with the Z - let me know how you do if you can.

I've gone to a medium or deep mouthpiece and a medium to large backbore and love the sound...But the larger mouthpiece and backbore does have it's limitations. I recall a thread with a recent comeback player that took a lesson not long ago with Bobby Shew. When he did I think I recall him writing (here on a TH thread) that an 8310Z and a 6310Z were both present, he played them both and preferred the 6310Z for his situation.

Best of luck and keep us informed...
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the 8310Z came out there were several lengthy threads about the differences. If you do a search you can probably pull up those old posts and include the links in this thread. good luck. As I remember the consensus was that the 8310 was more open and less likely to back up when pushed... but there was more.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
trpt.com
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that the tuning slide is completely interchangeable between the 6310Z, the 8310Z, and the 8340EM (I know because I tried).

I also have an M/K aftermarket tuning slide that fits each of these horns perfectly.

I can't imagine that the 'bore' or inside diameter of these slides is any different among the three. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

PS - I have an extra tuning slide that came from a 6310Z. PM me if interested.
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both, and I currently play the 8310Z. Although they feel different, they both have medium bores and large bore tuning slides (hence the "step bore" name.)
For me, I could never get the 6310Z to "open up" in the upper register, but with the 8310 it's easy. The bell bead is different, giving more feedback to the player, and I believe Bob Malone redesigned the leadpipe when he came on board. This might be what you're feeling at the end of the gig, Davo.
Jonathan, if you're having trouble with smaller backbores on yours, you might need to back off the air more as you ascend. The horn doesn't need to be "forced" to do anything, like a Bach or other larger horn would. Backing off, especially with a smaller mouthpiece can really help you stay up in the higher register of the 8310.
FWIW,
Matt
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your opinions and inputs.

I've tried more air support in the upper register and it seems to work fine. I'll have to remember that when I tire. I think I'm just more used to a bit tighter horn. I'm switching between a Reeves Raptor and the 8310Z. I thought the Raptor was open, but the Z horn is even more so, especially above the staff.

I just tried some of my Warburton rims with various backbores and I was surprised to find that the timbre changes more than the blow changes.

I'll just have to use a different approach with each horn.

Thanks for all the responses.

Dave
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reported previously that, when I got my 8310Z, I was somewhat disappointed in its ease of playing compared to my 6310Z. That disappointment went away when I had a precision valve alignment done on the 8310Z. They were quite badly mis-aligned according to Ron Partch, Toronto's valve alignment guru.
Yamaha 8310ZS trumpet
Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Courtois flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.
Nathan Hatcher

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.com,

I had no idea that M/K made tuning slides for the 6310Z. How did you choose the replacement slide? What characteristics did it change?

I have a 6310Z that I used as my main horn from 2001-2004. I love the fast, fast response and the ease of play- truly amazing. I do find, like many others have written before, that I have a hard time in the upper register beyond C as the horn seems to close down (compared to my other horns). I would love to remedy this issue as I have not been able to figure out the upper register by experimenting with my playing alone.

Nate
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked my 6310Z when I bought it. Then, I bought an 8310Z on a whim and liked it even better. Then, I bought a couple of the M/K tuning slides for the 8310Z and liked it better still. I have the bronze and nickel silver versions of the tuning slide.
I sold the 6310Z and use the 8310Z more than any other horn.
KPC517
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the 8335LA a try. Some of the same components, but the feel is very different, at least to me. I get compliments on the "fatness" of the sound and it really sizzles in the upper register.
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.5, Shew 2
Shew Flugel
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a 6310Z and 8335LA (was with Wayne at Bob's shop when they built second prototype).

Played a few 8310Zs and bought a new one yesterday.

Below link has short video describing some change from 6310Z to 8310Z.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D26667%252526CTID%25253D551176,00.html
trpt.com
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan Hatcher wrote:
trpt.com,

I had no idea that M/K made tuning slides for the 6310Z. How did you choose the replacement slide? What characteristics did it change?

I tried both a yellow brass and bronze brass slide. I kept the bronze. I was attempting to open up the blow a bit and warm up the sound. I wanted to see if I could get the 6310Z to behave more like my 8340EM so that I could use it as a suitable backup horn.

The effect is subtle at best to me, however other players that have tried my horn claim they can feel a significant difference (they're probably more "efficient" players than me).

In the end I decided to use the M/K slide with my 8340EM (!) The 6310Z is on the block. PM if interested...
John Miconi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

How does using the M/K slide on your 8340EM effect the playability of the horn?

I picked up the 8340EM last month. Great horn!!! It only took me a year after buying your EM1 mpc to finally pick up the horn!!!

John
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6310Z is a better soloists trumpet, 8310's better for Lead Players....
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:

Why would you say that? Your statement as it is has little merit...
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
dbacon wrote:

Why would you say that? Your statement as it is has little merit...

Like everything we all post, it's my opinion....what's yours?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: