• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp on breathing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atrumpeteer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Stamp on breathing Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I was wondering what were Stamps take on breathing? Did he have any specific way to breath like from the diaphram or chest etc? He also says to use diaphram support in his book what does he mean by this?
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
atrumpeteer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is answering. I would really like to know what stamp thoughts were on breathing.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a stab at this. Bear in mind that I never studied with Stamp, and I don't think my teacher did either ... I hope that if I say anything here that is incorrect, one of the more knowledgeable members will correct me.

I don't recall there being anything in the Stamp book about diaphragm support -- there's very little "mechanical" discussion in the book at all. When I'm in a lesson doing Stamp, we talk a lot about keeping the air moving and keeping the lip tension low, but that might be because I tend to be a bit tense when I play.

As I understand it (see disclaimer above), one of the core principles of Stamp's approach is minimum tension, and that includes relaxed breathing. The Stamp book has some breathing exercises at the beginning, which should help with breath control and usable breath capacity. When you're playing, the inhales should be deep, relaxed, and in rhythm. When you play, make sure that to the extent possibly you're using air rather than face to produce your sound, but don't get to the point that you're "bearing down" with your air (no valsalva!).

According to Roy Poper:
Quote:
When the large muscles of the diaphragm and abdomen are successfully engaged maintining the support during the quick breath, the smaller muscles of the embouchure can work less.
If you're doing Stamp (and especially if you're doing it independent of a teacher), pick up a copy of Roy Poper's Guide to the Brasswind Methods of James Stamp. It's a fantastic resource!

Hope this helps some ...
atrumpeteer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks swthiel, very interesting answer! I do the breathing excersises although not as much as I should...
hankinsmd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise 1 is all breathing. It would appear that they are to stretch you out so you can fill up deep down all the way to the top. Just basic capacity stuff.
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet842 has written her notes on the stamp exercises. She studied with "Jimmy", as she calls him. So, try and look up her stuff in the old forums. Very good insight/advice/notes or however you classify them.

Or PM with your e-mail address me and I'll send you the document that I cut and pasted of her extensive comments. I'll send it to anybody who would like it.

Scott

Last edited by ltkije1966 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are links to Janet's posts in the Dissecting Stamp Threads post that's stuck to the top of this very forum!
trumpetrich

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Roy Poper about breathing recently and he focused on getting "air in- air out" quickly without letting the throat tense during the direction change.
Also mentioned shooting spitballs or dried lentils through a straw to work on velocity.

These may have been suggestions aimed specifically at some issues that I was having and not Roy's usual approach, but they work well nonetheless.

Last edited by trumpetrich on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Sweet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see all these references to the "Stamp book". Will someone please give me the complete title of the book and where I might purchase it? Thanks
very much.

Bob
Howie J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm-Ups and Studies by James Stamp

Hoping for a more eloquent title right?? It's a great resource, but it's kind of pricey for how small it is. I am a daily Stamp user, but the ones I use are all memorized now.

http://www.hickeys.com/pages/trstudy8.htm

Howie J
Monette B3FS7, B2L, C2S3 cut for Flex Couplers, AP4LD
Bob Sweet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Howie. I'll see if I can find it.
Bob
Howie J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry, the Stamp is about 3/4 the way down the page. It's the one that actually has a picture and has a big set of lips on it.

Howie J
Monette B3FS7, B2L, C2S3 cut for Flex Couplers, AP4LD
Bob Sweet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Howie. I found it and have on order from Hickey's. As you warned me, the price was pretty stiff, but at least it's on it's way. I opted for economy mail so it may be a month or more before I see it.
Take Care, and many thanks.
Bob
trumpetDS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stamp book on the website is a newer edition. This edition has a CD to accompany the book. I think that is what cost the price of the book to increase. I do not own this edition, but I used the CD at a seminar and it is well worth the price, especially if you are new to Stamp or lacking in piano skills. Stamp would have his students play the mouthpiece buzzing exercises on the piano while buzzing. The CD I believe was made by a fellow THer- Tom Tambly with Tom Stevens.
The new edition is almost identical but is missing one of my favorite exercises- the quick breath study.
I love the Stamp Method. I have been doing it 3-4 days a week for about ten years. I find it really helps me to play with less tension, slot better, and open up my sound. No. 3 is the Hymn de Jimmy which I am surprised I have never gotten bored of playing. If you like the Stamp Method and want to get more studies or elaborations on his ideas, you may want to check out the Saches Book, Bing Daily Warm-up Book, or Plog Warm-up Book.
Bob Sweet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, TrumpetDS. The ad on the Hickey's web site said
the book comes with 2 CDs. I really have no knowledge of Mr. Stamp, but I'm curious and open to new ideas (new to me anyway).

Bob
craigpallett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stamp on breathing Reply with quote

atrumpeteer wrote:
Hi everyone! I was wondering what were Stamps take on breathing? Did he have any specific way to breath like from the diaphram or chest etc? He also says to use diaphram support in his book what does he mean by this?

I saw this original post, and it actually inspired me to "remember" something about what Jimmy originally taught. So much so, that I joined this forum, and site, and now I am typing this note.

I studied with Jimmy for about 8 years. After about 2 years, I also studied with Bobby Shew at the same time for a few years, which can tend to confuse one, (with this much time in between) This is over 30 years ago.

My take on this is that Jimmy focused a lot more on keeping "compression" available before pushing air thru the horn, for some reason think that he might have used another phrase for this, "pressure" comes to mind, but doesn't seem right. I really don't remember him talking about the physical way a diaphragm works, and developing it, in a physical way. It was more about being ready to release the "compressed" air from the lungs when needed, and the control needed to start notes and phrases properly, and have air to play what you need to play. The feeling was more the use of the lungs and co-coordinating the compressed air in the lungs properly with the attack.

This is only my experience with his lessons at the time, and I was a very stubborn slow learner. So he might have taught this differently to others.

I do remember that my primary training in breath was Bobby Shew. First lesson with him he recommended a book called "Science of Breath" Published in 1903 and just saw it at http://arfalpha.com/ScienceOfBreath/ScienceOfBreath.pdf free online.
Bobby's training taught me how to use the muscles of the diaphragm, and actually the way I use the breath to play today. But the "Stamp" lessons on "compression", I still remember and use for a controlled attack.

There are a variety of external ways you can work on the breath. Many techniques can be used to work on it, Vivation, Science of Breath, Ki Society Aikido - Ki Breathing, Soto Zen Breath Meditations. It’s all about getting control over a physical part of your body, then not having to think about it, to do it.

For a Trumpet player, it's mainly about finding the correct way to "fill up", hold the compression ready, then releasing it in a controlled way.

I hope that is of some assist.
charlieu51

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky to study with Jimmy for about 3 years from around 1976 to about 1978 in his studio near Glendale. It was a great experience and until that time I had never had a teacher that was so musical. I studied with John Clyman in High School and he was somewhat of a tyrant.

Jimmy emphasized a really holistic approach starting with breathing from the diaphram, keeping the air column at the ready, and not using to much pressure on the mouthpiece. The previous comment about compression and control needed to start and stop phrases is apropos.

He taught me to listen to my pitch more accurately and stay down in pitch when ascending and avoid dropping in pitch when playing descending scales.

I realized immediately how special Jimmy was to take lessons from, and felt honored to be a student.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lessons with John Clyman and Jimmy Stamp on consecutive days in 1980. The difference was startling!
Bill Shankl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air in and music out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: