• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone else use a Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece for lead playing?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Anyone else use a Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece for lead playing? Reply with quote

Like many out there, I've spent a good amount of time testing out different mouthpieces. For the majority of the playing I do, I'm a Bach guy. 3C megatone on my Bb, plain old 3C on C trumpet, a 3CFL for flugel, and a 3E for piccolo. Since I play a lot of church gigs where I switch horns frequently, I find the Bach to Bach transition a non-issue.

About 10 years ago I was doing some Big Band and Pops Band playing and my Schilke 14A4A wasn't cutting it. A friend was getting rid of his Marcinkiewicz E12 so I decided to give it a shot. To say it was the perfect lead mouthpiece for me is an understatement. Until I started using the Marcinkiewicz, I couldn't play up to double C, and my endurance was limited when playing in the upper register. After making the switch (as well as making some changes to my embochure) my range and endurance finally came to life.

I haven't done much lead work in the last few years, so the mouthpice has just been sitting in my bag. I'm a more well rounded player now, so when I took it out again recently I was surprised that there was still a big difference when I use it. Nobody would accuse me of being a screamer, but my upper register is loud and crisp when I play on this thing. I'm actually looking for a Big Band to play with this summer just so I can use it again!

Anyone else have any positive or negative comments for Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces? I know their Signature series has a lot of big names attached, but I'm not sure how many of them have moved on to other makeers. I usually get strange looks when I tell people the name, and a few times I've heard "Oh, I didn't know they made mouthpieces too..."
B4player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted in a while so this kind of rambles on....

I use Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces for lead work as well. I absolutely love them. I use to play on Monette mouthpieces, but the B4LVS I had went really sharp above a "g" on the staff. Also that mouthpiece was a weapon!! I loved the power but it was hard to back off.

When I first played a few Marcinkiewicz's I hated them! I felt restricted and I thought I sounded stuffy. Well I think that was just cause I was playing on the wrong sizes. I finally found a Bobby Shew 1, and like so many trumpeters before me, I fell in love. After experimenting and being fitted at the shop I find the Roger Ingram is a perfect match.

What I really love about Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces is how great the rims feel and how balanced the blow is. It's just really efficient for me. Although I find it easier to frack notes. Thats because of the soft bite and high alpha angle. I really like Bob Reeves, and I feel a little more secure on them, but opposite is true of the Reeves, I tire out a lot faster. Thats just the nature of trumpet equipment I guess, give and take.

It all depends on your chops and how you play but I think that a Marcikiewicz mouthpiece is a fine choice.(and no one who knows what there talking about should give a second thought to you, or anyone about playing on one.)
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Marc. for everything. Different ones for each horn, but in general I like the rim and the general 'feel' of their mouthpieces.

I have a Shew 1.75 for my Holton MF Horn (for section work), a 3.1* JWM for my C trumpet, a Mic Gillette Model for my picc, a Rick Baptist model for my Eb/D trumpet, and a custom 'piece for my Yamaha, which I use for leads, for dixieland, and for anything I need to stand out on. More comfortable than the Schilke #4 rim, more stable than the Jet-Tone B or D rims, WAYmore comfortable than any Bach rim, nice clean sound without loss of fullness of sound.

And when I can avoid trombone or tuba or baritone gigs, ease of playing up to CC and beyond.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Have either of you ever tried the Pro-Line Concert Hall mouthpieces?
http://www.marcinkiewicz.com/mouthpieces/trumpet/ch.htm

I play a Bach 3C megatone on my Bb, so I'm curious about the "feel" of the Concert Hall line. They're a bit expensive so I don't want to order one on a lark just to try it...but I am curious.

Thanks!
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Have either of you ever tried the Pro-Line Concert Hall mouthpieces?
http://www.marcinkiewicz.com/mouthpieces/trumpet/ch.htm

I play a Bach 3C megatone on my Bb, so I'm curious about the "feel" of the Concert Hall line. They're a bit expensive so I don't want to order one on a lark just to try it...but I am curious.

Thanks!

I played for a short while on a E3/3C proline signature model that plays and sounds wonderful. It can play dark, not unlike a 3c, but with some real extra zip when pushed. Ultimately, I'll likely sell it because it is still a bit on the large side for a lead mouthpiece, which is what I had hoped it would do well for me. As an all-around piece with the potential for quite a bit more zip, it fits the bill very well. The Proline concert body, does allow for lots of brillliance and overtones, but still increases some of the slotting and stability of the note centers. Best wishes...
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have in the past used the Shew 1.2 and 1.25. I prefer Reeves and Warburtons - they just work better for me.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
conte72

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: marcinkiewicz lead mouthpieces Reply with quote

With my experience, Marcinkiewicz makes the best lead mouthpiece. I have several models, each having a different purpose. I have an early prototype of a Roger Ingram mouthpiece, which I bought from Roger, that is excellent for extreme high register playing. I also have a Jeff Tyzik model for section and lead work and a Chuck Findley model for pops orchestra performances. Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces offer the best lead/rock band/ big band/ sound for the smallest amount of effort. If you get a chance to go to the factory, I highly recommend it. They will take the time to fit you with the right mouthpiece.
trumPF

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy that just posted above me has the loudest double A on the planet.
Also plays a mean Tomasi Concerto.

What's up Conte?

Pete
(Marcinkiewicz "Jeff Tyzik" model user)
tibbs20

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Marcinkiewicz 7, but then changed to a Jet Tone DS. Both very similar, but the DS is so much more open. The Marc 7 is so tight. Although I'm not a lead player, so maybe some people can make more use of a tighter playing mouthpiece.
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altho' I regularly experiment with others - - mainly Currys & Warburtons as I've never gotten any other brands to work for me - - I keep coming back to Marcinkiewiczs. I have an entire set of 300 Series (I like the symphonic backbore - never 'stuffy') for trumpet, cornet & flugel. But I've been trying to down size, as I'm trying to zero in on the best inner diameter, somewhat more efficient. I currently use the ***6C for trumpet. I'll probably also try an E5 (Shew) & maybe the 5 (but it has a standard bb). As to the Concert Hall series question above, (I wrote the patent) it gives you a huge amount of harmonics/overtones compared to say a Bach 7C (the most popular mpc in the world?). It has all the attributes of a heavy weight, if that's your preference, without a lot of the weight. I used one of those for ballads. The guys on the phone at M'wicz are very knowledgeable & friendly, at least amateur musicians themselves, not just out to make a sale. They have no problem 'customizing' any mouthpiece tweak you could want. PS, their horns are 'gems,' too.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tibbs20 wrote:
I used a Marcinkiewicz 7, but then changed to a Jet Tone DS. Both very similar, but the DS is so much more open. The Marc 7 is so tight. Although I'm not a lead player, so maybe some people can make more use of a tighter playing mouthpiece.

Have somebody open the throat up a step or 2 and then try it again. Frees things up noticeably.

My custom Marc. has a 24 throat, and a wide open backbore, and works very well, with very little resistance.
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and, in answer to your title/question, you may want to note that in the Designer Series, once you get past the first few of the list, they are all shallow-very shallow designs. In the past I've thought small/shallow is strictly for lead/high range. But my understanding now is that this is also for both efficiency & a focused sound that works well when mic'd. This leads to the controversies of whether one should play the smallest or the largest mouthpiece that works for themself, carry/use more than one mouthpiece, etc....
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baptist model gives a wonderful lead sound for me
in the upper register. Not too bright in the middle to low
either. That, combined with a very comfortable rim makes
it one of the tops on my list.
TrumpetLucian

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
The Baptist model gives a wonderful lead sound for me
in the upper register. Not too bright in the middle to low
either. That, combined with a very comfortable rim makes
it one of the tops on my list.

I agree. The rim is nice and cushioned, and it isn't too small. I've played the Roger Ingram piece and it just closes off so easily, but the Baptist you can put some air through. Especially for 3C players it is a great lead piece to have.

L

Yamaha 8335G
Marcinkiewicz 307 and E8
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one. And I just subbed in a local big band orchestra, and both of the two top guys (I think Al Gomez is my new favorite trumpet soloist *drool* And the guy playing lead was pretty awesome, too, though he won't admit it) both used Marcinkiewicz as well. It's a good balance between Schilke bright (and sharp) and Bach dark.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and play several of their mouthpieces for all types of commercial work. i use a custom mpc described by Dave Trigg to me as - Ingram rim, Shew 1 cup(.010"shallower),candoli backbore, and a 28 drill. Its a superior lead mpc than anything i've played. I use the ingram for some lead stuff and for section work. Also when i have to play jazz solo's i have a shew 2 and also a bs(shew) flugel piece. I also use a 7P/D mpc for picc and for the brandenburg i use a #12 cornet mpc for the picc. I use warburton for my legit stuff, a 5M/6 or 7, but i'm anxios to try a QM. I would also like to get a custom legit piece bt marcinkiewicz. they have superior craftsmenship to many makers.
B4player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife plays on the Pro- line Concert Hall B1. We both find these mouthpieces to have great core and stability while being more responsive than the usual big heavy blank mouthpieces. I imagine using one for lead would work out much better than your standard heavy blank. Hope that helps.

-Mario
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: forgot to mention that I use the Marcinkiewicz BS FL with both a Marcinkiewicz Fluegel & my Yamaha 631RB. It generates a very flugelly timbre & improves intonation of low C# & D significantly. It is spec'd slightly different than the Yamaha version (which I heard as a very bright & focused sound...so I sold it...).
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Bobby Shew 1.25 for years (15 maybe) until I switched over to the Wedge system.

I had to open my backbore a tiny bit up on the shew to make it work the best for me.

Awesome pieces and great values at that!

-t
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Kyle Lane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: marcink. Reply with quote

I used to use a 14A4A but found that the soft bite inhibited my tonguing. I now use a marcink. E3/3C - good bite, crisp sound - good response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: