• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just shut it

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Just shut it Reply with quote

All you Olds worshippers? Just shut it. There were a cubic buttload of other horns that were also good. Olds is not the grail. So, STFU.

There are other horns that are as good, if not better. Many. Not that I would point any out.

Oh, and you Conn people? STFU as well. Seriously.

New folk? If you want to try a vintage horn, there are lots in your local store, and on the 'bay. Most of them don't suck. Any vintage horn will get anyone started and you can find lots of horns endorsed by lots of folks.

I am just sick-and-tired by the same old people saying the same-old-stuff as if their favorite vintage were the best thing on the planet. Sorry, dude, it ain't. There are lots of good horns being ignored. Explore them.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Vet,

I take it you don't like Olds and Conn?

Glad you got that off your chest!

Any guitars you don't like?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited by lmf on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shillelagh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...do you hear that?

No?

It's a variable armadda of Conn and Olds huggers. They're coming. I can hear it. I can... almost feel it.

Oh man, thanks for giving me a late night laugh out loud. I'm pretty darn sure I woke at least 2 people up. I don't know how long that thread is going to last until the Administration comes in and changes or closes it down, or if the Conn-Olds Armadda sweeps in and obliterates it with "Shock and Awe" tactics.

You've dug your own grave now, boy. George W. Bush played an Olds.

Good post.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, everyone knows deep down that Bach makes the best trumpets. Instead of just admitting that fact, buying one, and practicing, too many people try to find a horn that will do it for them. Olds, Conn, Beuscher, Yamaha, Schilke, Getzen, King, etc. are just stepping stones to the real thing.....a Bach.

Now, I know there will be a lot of opposition to this idea, but denial ain't just a river in Egypt. If you've tried a Bach Strad and you didn't like it, there's something wrong with you, not the horn. Come out of the darkness and move into the light with me. Nothing beats a Bach.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Yes, everyone knows deep down that Bach makes the best trumpets. Instead of just admitting that fact, buying one, and practicing, too many people try to find a horn that will do it for them. Olds, Conn, Beuscher, Yamaha, Schilke, Getzen, King, etc. are just stepping stones to the real thing.....a Bach.

Now, I know there will be a lot of opposition to this idea, but denial ain't just a river in Egypt. If you've tried a Bach Strad and you didn't like it, there's something wrong with you, not the horn. Come out of the darkness and move into the light with me. Nothing beats a Bach.

Amen!

Oh, you weren't serious?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Amen!

Oh, you weren't serious?

Well, yes, in a tongue-in-cheak way. The best horns I presently own and have previously owned are all Bach Strads. I have 3 of 'em now - a Bb trumpet, C trumpet, and short cornet. Others may come close, but I'm a "Bach Loyalist", for sure.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Amen!

Oh, you weren't serious?

Well, yes, in a tongue-in-cheak way. The best horns I presently own and have previously owned are all Bach Strads. I have 3 of 'em now - a Bb trumpet, C trumpet, and short cornet. Others may come close, but I'm a "Bach Loyalist", for sure.

I own three strads myself. And Getzen, Kanstul, Yamaha and Conn.
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Just shut it Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
All you Olds worshippers? Just shut it. There were a cubic buttload of other horns that were also good. Olds is not the grail. So, STFU.

There are other horns that are as good, if not better. Many. Not that I would point any out.

Oh, and you Conn people? STFU as well. Seriously.

New folk? If you want to try a vintage horn, there are lots in your local store, and on the 'bay. Most of them don't suck. Any vintage horn will get anyone started and you can find lots of horns endorsed by lots of folks.

I am just sick-and-tired by the same old people saying the same-old-stuff as if their favorite vintage were the best thing on the planet. Sorry, dude, it ain't. There are lots of good horns being ignored. Explore them.

Tom

i like Kanstul, which is descended from Olds and from Benge, which is a direct descendant of Besson. i think that these are some of the best trumpets out there. Am I, too, supposed to STFU?

how about a UFIA or you could DIAF

how many horns in a "cubic buttload"? how many horns fit in your butt?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I own three strads myself. And Getzen, Kanstul, Yamaha and Conn.

Yep - I have 3 Strads, 2 Olds, 1 King, 4 Conns, 1 Kanstul, and the old Lehnert. Now I'll STFU....
dannac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but denial ain't just a river in Egypt
dannac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how many horns in a "cubic buttload"?
dqjazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here comes a Conn lover!!!

Isn't this all to do with one's own experiences? I have owned new Bach's, the Monette LTJ a French Besson and now I play a CONN CONNSTELATION

And I think it's the best thing I have ever played. It happens to be the first 2nd hand horn I've bought. If you haven't tried a vintage horn then you haven't got any legs to stand on in the argument against them. All I can say is that new horns aren't what everyone thinks they are and most of us buy a new horn thinking we are going to sound better, but the truth of the matter is that most new horns aren't made with the same care that the "vintage" horns were, which is why we go on about them
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viva la difference
jazzmanwv
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Connstellation, and my Martin - I want to light my Strad on fire. But, I'm a trumpet hack who wishes he played tenor saxophone.

The Olds/Conn armada is on the way, but they'll be late. We're all out searching for just the right synthetic valve oil to fix our hung-up valves. $20 bottle of valve juice anyone?
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzmanwv wrote:
I love my Connstellation, and my Martin - I want to light my Strad on fire. But, I'm a trumpet hack who wishes he played tenor saxophone.

The Olds/Conn armada is on the way, but they'll be late. We're all out searching for just the right synthetic valve oil to fix our hung-up valves. $20 bottle of valve juice anyone?

Sorry to hear about your sticky Conn valves!

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Brass Dad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad my kid didn't follow the in crowd, otherwise they would all sound the same. Variety is good, especially with a Olds
You know you wanna "Touch It"http://youtube.com/watch?v=QRq63FOrQXY
bowiefighter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for someone to use E.M.B.O.W.A.F.A. in a sentence!

Funny thread.

bowiefighter

P.S. GO BUNDY!!!
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree whole heartedly. STOP talking about Olds. Do not bid on them at Ebay. Do not point out those lousy super recordings at auction. Nobody cares and nobody wants to know, so just keep it to yourself. You don't want them. They are terrible. Especially the ones from the 30's with the hand hammered bell: who wants a horn that looks like it got caught in a hail storm. If you have one, please sell it for whatever you can get for it, which isn't much, believe me.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who manufactured the horn that most all of the others worldwide have copied? The answer is Besson. Can any trumpeter break an inexpensive blown glass stemmed wineglass with their horn? I saw Walter H. Cameron do it with his 1852 French Besson, yes, the Paris, France horn before Besson moved to England. Yeah, I know hand blown stemmed wine glasses are not inexpensive now, but they were relatively so in the mid "40s, or at least they were prolific enough for Mr. Cameron to waste occasionally. Also, he was the one that "set me up" to pursue the altissimo range of performance albeit with no horn I've had have I been able to break any glass. Did he use crooks to alter pitch of his horn, as were often common in times that his horn was manufactured, I don't know. Too, I never knew what relavence this "trick" had to do with music ... and I have often thought he just had the whole scenario set us as a magician would just to stimulate young children's interest in instrumental music. OK, I've also seen it done subsequently with the wave of a magicians wand expelling "smoke" (CO2) against a very hot wine glass, just as any high school student in physics class ( younger today in science class???) would realize would happen as a result.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Bundy WENT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: