• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR Northern Brass GP series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagle362
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: GR Northern Brass GP series Reply with quote

Has anyone here played a GR NB GP in either the 64 or 65 (maybe even the 66) rim dia.
I am mostly using a Schilke 17 and have grown accustomed to a better sound with the larger mpc. A few years ago I bought a 63GP and really like it. Nice compression with some room to work with compared to a 6a4a schilke.
I am thinking about a 65GP to give me the compression for lead but a little more lip to still keep some of my "17" sound.
Thoughts or experiences appreciated.
Thanks!
Mark
Kanstul 1530 / Wick 4.5, 5B, and Sparx (GR) 4B soloist
Eclipse Flug / Trent Austin M5 mpc
reynolds Contempora
Conn 80A
bowiefighter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle,
A while back I tried out a few of the GP mouthpieces with Bruce; in the larger diameters I was surprised by how full the sound was. Very easy to brighten the tone, but still maintained a full, fat, substantial tone. Try one, you may really like it.

bowiefighter
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying to maintain the Schilke 17 sound by playing a smaller mouthpiece, you may be going in the wrong direction. Is there some issue with the Schilke 17 you hope to remedy by switching mouthpiece? It may be hard to accept that some things might be different with a switch, but it's possible to achieve a better overall product coming out your bell.
eagle362
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince: I realize I will get a different sound. Actually I would like to look at a 65gp FOR lead playing (or when I need a little compression help)
I am really just wanting to maintain the larger rim size.
I do play a 15a4a sometimes and is fine, but I have always liked the immediate response I get form the GR NB pieces.
Mark
Kanstul 1530 / Wick 4.5, 5B, and Sparx (GR) 4B soloist
Eclipse Flug / Trent Austin M5 mpc
reynolds Contempora
Conn 80A
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle,

I have a GR NB 66 GP. I normally play a GR G66**** for nearly everything. But I also own a GR NB 66*** and the GP. The GP is comfortable and allows you to have good tone throughout your range, and of course it makes playing above the staff easier. I bought it to make playing lead parts on my Eclipse MR easier. But right now I'm working in California (I live in Texas) and I brought my Olds Recording out here with me, instead of the Eclipse. And I perfer using the G66**** with the Olds. But the GP 66 goes very well with the Eclipse-at least for me. I don't know how the GP will affect the tone of your Eclipse MS. The GP gives me a brighter sound on the MR, but your MS is probably already a lot brighter than a MR.

Don't know if any of this helps you.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: