• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bent Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dqjazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Bent Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I just got my mouthpiece bent and it has had a huge, positive impact on my playing. I have found that I'm now using much less top lip pressure which has given me more endurance.

Also has cleared some postural issues up. I used to tilt my head back to get the bell out of the stand, which was uncomfortable.

The mouthpiece looks different but, who cares, it has helped my playing.

Anyone else had similar outcomes to bending their mouthpiece.
garpo3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bent Mouthpiece Reply with quote

dqjazz wrote:
I used to tilt my head back to get the bell out of the stand, which was uncomfortable.

I do too!
I've played for Jon Faddis a few times and he's yelled at me and even gotten to the point where he personally holds my head forward and down while I'm trying to play.

Maybe I should try getting mine bent.
Where'd you get it bent? and what angle?
dqjazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The angle was 10 degrees. I got it bent at

http://www.bettersounds.com.au

as you can see I live in Australia. The guy at better sounds, Maurie is a bit of a 'mad scientist' when it comes to things, he said that he put a rod down the throat so that it didn't compact.

If you live in the states I would get in contact with Bob Reeves or someone like that.

It would be interesting to hear what Jon Faddis thinks of the bent mouthpiece idea? is it possible you can find out?
garpo3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Warburton also bends mouthpieces.

The next time I see Faddis (if at all) wouldn't be until the school year starts again in the fall.

I would predict one of these three responses: Either he would give you a funny look and not respond at all, he would give you an extremely serious 5 paragraph answer with enough confusing vocabulary to make you forget what question you asked, or he'll make some dry faddis-esque joke that makes you regret asking the question in the first place.

Last edited by garpo3000 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
garpo3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/faq/42-faq/68-do-you-bend-mouthpieces
dqjazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garpo3000 wrote:
I think Warburton also bends mouthpieces.

The next time I see Faddis (if at all) wouldn't be until the school year starts again in the fall.

I would predict one of these three responses: Either he would give you a funny look and not respond at all, he would give you an extremely serious 5 paragraph answer with enough confusing vocabulary to make you forget what question you asked, or he'll make some dry faddis-esque joke that makes you regret asking the question in the first place.

Nice!! True proffessional
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played on bent mouthpieces for the better part of 5 years now. For me, and the 12 degree angle, it's helped me get the bell up and out of the music stand!
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that Bach will bend theirs at the factory.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
B4player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I had this beat up Giardinelli 7M and I'm pretty sure someone on TH said you could bend it yourself with a hammer and vice. OK, so maybe someone didn't say that but I was bored anyways so I tried it. One good whack and the head snapped off and flew across the room.

Well, that only took a couple minutes and I was still bored so I decided to solder it back together with a little bit of an angle to it. It actually worked great. By great I just mean no solder got in the throat.

Thats all, just thought I'd share.

-Mario
dqjazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B4player wrote:
OK, so I had this beat up Giardinelli 7M and I'm pretty sure someone on TH said you could bend it yourself with a hammer and vice. OK, so maybe someone didn't say that but I was bored anyways so I tried it. One good whack and the head snapped off and flew across the room.

Well, that only took a couple minutes and I was still bored so I decided to solder it back together with a little bit of an angle to it. It actually worked great. By great I just mean no solder got in the throat.

Thats all, just thought I'd share.

-Mario

Please share more, that's funny! I guess try not to get too bored too often Mario.
JTownsend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a bob reeves bent mouthpiece (10 degrees), its really nice, its a 40 ( a 10 1/2 ecuiv)rim with a 43.5 c cup( similar to a 3 cup) . Its interesting, i just made the switch to a smaller mouthpieces about a month ago, its had a huge difference on my playing, its nice being able to have longer endurance because of it. Anyway yeah bent mouthpiece's are the way to go
-Jordan
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet mouthpieces are not hard to bend at all. I can get about 12 degrees of bend without distorting the throat noticably. I've done it for a bunch of kids who have to hold their horns up for marching band. I ought to do one for myself. I'm a downstreamer, and it would help me get the bell up to play jazz. A vice, a piece of steel to push on the throat, and a couple of boards to protect the rim and the shank are all you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: