• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Heim Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetgirl8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Holton Heim Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Recently, my Holton Heim mouthpiece has not been giving me good support in the upper register. So I'm just wondering, have any of you ever used a Holton Heim? How does it work for you? I don't know of anyone who does.
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Heim Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I purchased a Heim 1 (Holton) out of curiosity a couple of years back as I had read the Mr. Herseth had used one in his early years.

It was not for me as I was surprised at how small it actually was in rim diameter. I use a large diameter mp and could not do well with the Heim 1. I sold it to a fellow in Nova Scotia.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
bopinthenight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Heim 1 as it has a small diameter that matches my lead mouthpiece. It gets a very dark sound which I love. However, the upper register is pretty much impossible. On any other mouthpiece I have a strong upper register, but the Heim is very limiting in that respect. If it didn't give me the exact tone I want for small group I would look for something else.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Holton Heim Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello Trumpetgirl8. I tried the Heim mp myself and had the same problem. But I do like a med. deep V cup. The Heim, if I remember correctly, is a little more on the deep side like a C.G. Personel, not as deep as a 5V Bach. IF you like a med. rounded rim, I have found the Stork Vacchiano Stork V cup m.p.'s to be much easier to play in all registers,with great intonation. Where most Trumpet V cups have more open throats . The Stork Vacchiano in Trumpet and Cornet comes with a #27 throat. They blow very freely. If you decide to try one,first check the lip sizing to correct sizing mouthpiece Charts on the Stork Mouthpiece site. This will help you to buy the over all best size. Give Mrs. Stork a call also, let Her know what sort of playing you are doing. The Stork Vacchiano B cups are a little deeper than the C cups. The B cup would be closer to the V cup depth of the Helm m.p. Adding the pumped version V cup with D Symphonic back bore gives these pieces extra power output, without sound distortion. The C and B sizes are just cup depths. The Standard and Pumped versions are still V cups. To get the pumped version V cup and D Symphonic back bore,you have to order direct from the Stork internet site. The Standard Custom Vacchiano models can be bought at Dillon's music and Mouthpiece Express. There can be a waiting period sometimes of three to four weeks. Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: