• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thoughts on Don Cherry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been fascinated by Don Cherry's work with Ornette Coleman. His sound and style were definitely different from what was current at that time or even now...Where did he come from (stylistically)? Has anyone transcribed-analyzed his solos?

Jerry Freedman
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When playing the jazz chair with the San Francisco State Big Band in 1974, we had the pleasure of featuring Don with the band. Great guy and wonderful player.

I was fortunate enough to have lunch with him and our instructor, Bennet Freedman. I'll see if I can find out any info and then post back here.

Dan Young
Pleasure Point Horns
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint Don.
Not only with Ornette but with Codona: Colin Walcott (tabla and sitar player from the group Oregon, was present at Miles "On The Corner" sessions and others, student and colaborator of Ravi Shankar, tragically died in bus crash in E. Germany) Nana Vasconcellos (Brazilian elf and percussion master, know for berinbao and talking drum playing) and Don. Also of note (and available at HMV of all places) Don's duet with Ed Blackwell called "Mu" part 1 and part 2. Each was a record originally, I had them in the 70s. Don plays pocket trumpet, wooden flutes and piano, and Ed, of course, plays dare-devil drums. (You never knew if his fills would fall apart, but they never did and he always made the 1)
I would immagine that allot of players on TH would consider Don to be a non-player. But he had beautiful tone (a voice) and a conception of intonation that recognized the quarter-tone. He broadened the bounds of what trumpet could be. He was a life teacher.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2003-03-19 10:37 ]
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh... i assume you mean quarter tones... a semitone is a half-step. Then again, I know some singers whose intonation doesn't even recognize those.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes yes yes. It's fixed you bastard! How bout Demi Tones? Don Cherry made mistakes too and turned them into communication.
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a discussion just last night about Don Cherry - in comparison to Dave Douglas. The concensous was that Don was a far better improviser than he was a trumpet player. I have only one CD by him in my collection. I pull it out once in a while (as I do 'Bitch's Brew') listen closely, say 'uh-huh' and put it away and hope that I will 'get there.' In the mean time, I practice my scales.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: