• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

FRAUD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darrellcrews

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: FRAUD Reply with quote

Just a warning to you all.. I have sold a number of items on this sight and last night I saw something similar to a scam that is going on on Craigslist. I have a horn up for sale and the gentleman offered me a price for the trumpet, case and shipping. Easy clues, they write with very bad grammar and don't have a Paypal account. They will also not offer a number to speak to you in person. So, just a heads up. First time I've ever experienced it on this sight.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it the old "we will be graciously to pay you with a cashier's check, but it's already made for an amount that is thousands more than your item, but you are a kind and sincere gentleman so we will honstly be to trust you to send us the remaining balance back via trustworthy Western Union wire transfer" type scam?
Darrellcrews

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty much. I've had them say, send a money gram to a certain address and they'll send a pick up agent come by and they reimburse me the money. As soon as I mention a phone call or just simply tell them to set up a Paypal account, I don't hear from them again..
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a ton of these kinds of contacts when I was selling some horns a few years ago. I was "instructed" not to mail the horn, but that an agent would come to my house to pick up the item. Still trying to figure that one out.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant stand the Nigerian scams.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present the company that employs me in sales is primarily internet based and in the top 200 sellers of the internet in gross dollars - and we get hit by the same scammers. So, it's not just the small, independent sellers that they target.

The first time I ran across it I informed my manager what was happening and she didn't believe me. I then told her they would not speak to us directly on the phone and when I pushed for a phone call they used a professional intermediary and typed for the intermediary to read aloud to me. Unbelievable. My manager thought I was a genius - and I'd heard about it first here at TH. This is the website that prepares you to impress your managers... You did know that, right?
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but what if the King of Nigeria really DID die and leave me $10,000,000????

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DWallace
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I was thinking that the King of Nigeria left me the $10 Million. I'll settle for $1 million if he'll send it.
York Super Custom Cornet
Yamaha YTR-6445HS C Trumpet
Zeus Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR 2320
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingSilverSonic wrote:
I got a ton of these kinds of contacts when I was selling some horns a few years ago. I was "instructed" not to mail the horn, but that an agent would come to my house to pick up the item. Still trying to figure that one out.

The money making part of the scam is the bogus cashier's check. You send them the extra and then find out later the check is fraudulent.

While I have never been scammed like this I suspect they either never pick up the horn or they hire a dupe to do it. So if the dupe gets caught they are still in the clear. I do know they do this, use dupes, with the fake credit cards.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingSilverSonic wrote:

The money making part of the scam is the bogus cashier's check. You send them the extra and then find out later the check is fraudulent.

While I have never been scammed like this I suspect they either never pick up the horn or they hire a dupe to do it. So if the dupe gets caught they are still in the clear. I do know they do this, use dupes, with the fake credit cards.
Mdbri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, every time I come across this kind of scam, I have a little fun. Play dumb and ask them to explain things over and over again. Ask for outrageous things, and try to push them to tell you more Change your mind twice a day.

I loved bugging a scammer with all kinds of questions about options, leadpipes, finishes, the possibility of doing this and that, changing my mind a thousand times and then arranging to come pick it up at their "warehouse". Oh, the excuses he had to come up with!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: