• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Trumpets for Hearing Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the lighter weight horns seem to give lots of information... laterally I find my flugel gives the most information.

Again laterally I have bought an AER cube amp and take my own mic which I use for fall back.....no more problems hearing myself on loud gigs

Specifically my Bach 43 RL and Olds Recording are easy to hear...... the Recording probably has the clearest..."the sock is out" sound of any horn I have ever tried....beautiful to look at as well.

Walter
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A light-weight horn with large bell would intuitively seem to offer the best feedback to the player.

I respectfully suggest one be very, very careful going down this path. The sound out front is not the sound we hear no matter how much feedback the horn gives us. Recording yourself, and/or having other players (or just people) listen "out front", will help learn what sound behind the bell you need to play to provide the sound you want out front.

FWIWFM - Don
TekTrumpet27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what's been said about the 6310Z the feedback is terrible on it, I can't even hear what I'm playing on 3rd part with it in big band. However, I did testplay an 8310Z and it is definantly an improvement, the feedback and the blow are much better.

Concert band: YTR-6335HSII
Big Band: '53 Olds Super
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case it;s PRECISELY the sound I hear that I am paying attention to, and that will guide to to where I know I need to be when performing.

I don't think any of us will ever hear what the audience hears when we are playing. Even a monitor feed from a PMS won;t give you that.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
A light-weight horn with large bell would intuitively seem to offer the best feedback to the player.

I respectfully suggest one be very, very careful going down this path. The sound out front is not the sound we hear no matter how much feedback the horn gives us. Recording yourself, and/or having other players (or just people) listen "out front", will help learn what sound behind the bell you need to play to provide the sound you want out front.

FWIWFM - Don

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces

Last edited by fraserhutch on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, my 5X has only a 4-5/8" flare to the bell. This is why I surmised that it is the taper of the bell that determines a great deal of the projection pattern. The 5X's pattern is like a cardioid mic.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kanstul/ Najoom Besson has great feedback and yet projects very well.

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCB1 wrote:
My Kanstul/ Najoom Besson has great feedback and yet projects very well.

Peace

I don't know which bell is used in your horn, but the Kanstul #7 bell used in the 1500, 1500A & 1601 has a great sound with good projection and feedback, as well.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the B bell with a reversed leadpipe. The bell reminds me of the Besson I had.

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckTrump wrote:

...Now I cannot remember, but wasn't there a clip-on device of some sort that you could clip onto your stand so it bounced some of your sound back to you?

The idea of this gizmo was to allow you to hear yourself, without distorting the sound for the audience.

(If only I could remember the name for it - you might save yourself from buying a new trumpet...but then again, we are always looking for good excuses to buy new horns...)

Ben

"SoundBack". Plexi screen that is put on the mic. Great when the sound engineer only knows about drums and guitars/basses!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
BuckTrump wrote:

...Now I cannot remember, but wasn't there a clip-on device of some sort that you could clip onto your stand so it bounced some of your sound back to you?

The idea of this gizmo was to allow you to hear yourself, without distorting the sound for the audience.

(If only I could remember the name for it - you might save yourself from buying a new trumpet...but then again, we are always looking for good excuses to buy new horns...)

Ben

"SoundBack". Plexi screen that is put on the mic. Great when the sound engineer only knows about drums and guitars/basses!

I use one every year at Christmas when we do a outdoor concert for 4 nights... need to here myself.

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCB1 wrote:

I use one every year at Christmas when we do a outdoor concert for 4 nights... need to here myself.

Peace

Lucky you! If I did outdoor Christmas concerts in CT they'd have to surgically remove the mouthpiece from my lips. Playing indoors for midnight mass is cold enough!
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather here can change quickly. It can be in the 60's when we start and be in the 30's when we finish. I will admit playing in the cold is "not" fun! I want a plastic copy of my current mouthpiece for such situations.

The Soundback I have I bought from Calicchio when they carried them. It has holes in it and is adjustable for how much sound you want to bounce back.

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nifty thing, indeed!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathanm writes:

<<<Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:21 pm Post subject:
As was stated earlier, the 8310Z that I had amazed me the first time I played it in a sanctuary - large hall. I badly overblew it - assuming that the sound was coming back to me and so couldn't possibly have been going out. Wrong! I was told later (kindly & by friends) that I was PLENTY loud...Oops. I just wasn't use to feedback like that. >>>

huh? that would be a good example of what happens when there is very LITTLE feedback to the player. By "feedback" we are talking about hearing ourselves. The only way to to really check this is by playing in a situation where the stage volume is very high and the monitoring is accoustic.

The worst I have encountered are:
Schilke B1 berylium sliver plate
Schilke b2 berylium silver plate
Selmer K modified lacquer
Conn vintage one Rose brass 46 lacquer
Martin committee lacquer
Yamaha 6310z lacquer
yamaha 6345 heavy wall lacquer
Conn 12b heavy weight coprion bell lacquer

All of these were good horns, and I played each one for at least a year

The best for hearing yourself when it gets rough on stage:

Conn Vintage one Brass bell 46 silver plate (very good for hearing)
Bach large bore raw brass (C trumpet convertible)
Bach 72 silver plate (very good also)
bach 37 silver plate (borderline)
Yamaha 6310z raw (same horn as above stripped! Still borderline)
Conn 38B connstellation Nickel/lacquer (grand champion for hearing yourself)
Conn 22b silverplate

Kind of looks like the culprit is lacquer when you look at my list. The berylium bell sucks too for hearing yourself

Copper is not great for feedback either it looks like, although copper and lacquer tend to go together

Doug M
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best horn I played for hearing from "behind the bell" was a Burbank Benge 3X. It was a gem, but I eventually sold it as I now play Schilke horns almost exclusively. Ironically it is tough to hear how you sound from "behind the bell" on a schilke. However my recorded sound is by far the best (IMO) on the Schilkes and I get more positive feedback on my sound when playing the schilkes and that was ultimately the deciding factor.
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Trumpets for Hearing Feedback Reply with quote

jsou1 wrote:
Hi.

I've done searches for the last few days and haven't really found a previous post which answers my questions so any advice on this would be appreciated...

I'm in the market for another trumpet and I'd like to take into consideration the fact this time that I have poor hearing in one of my ears. I'm thinking perhaps that a larger bell would provide a more spread sound and/or more volume of sound at the bell for me? I've tried short model cornets which REALLY kind of solve the problem, but I'm still a trumpet junkie so I haven't been convinced yet to switch to cornet as my main axe.

I primarily play small combo jazz, but am looking for an overall good performer. I do the occassional wedding or GB gig so at times I'll venture into the higher range and have a very solid G or A over high C. With some horns I've found the higher range to be more difficult to get a big sound. I don't however do big band work or need to play lead. I also never play in a section so blending isn't an issue. It's mostly all solo work.

This would probably be a used horn that I'll look for on EBay or local stores. To make it more difficult I want to spend around $1000. Here are some of the targets I've come up with: LA Benge (2X+, 3X, 3X+, 5X), Bach Strad, Vintage Silver Flair (I owned one way back and remember it to be a really nice player), Conn Vintage One, Xeno, Conn 8B maybe?.

I'm open to suggestions or any advice.

Thanks!

Ever notice the way people who are hard of hearing shout EH? because they can't hear what you said. Perhaps the hearing issue is part of the reason why there are so many trumpet players who play too loud.....if hearing is the issue then changing horns to suit the situation may only partly work....if you can't hear an A above high C in a jazz combo then you are either playing in a very big room and the rest of the combo are very loud....or hearing is the issue. If the other players are very loud the answer for me is to have a personal monitor.....when I first got mine I set up the monitor about 30 feet away me.... my friend played his trumpet from the same distance but he stood 10 feet to the side of the monitor. I then had another friend tweak the EQ on the monitor as he played until it matched the sound I heard from the trumpet. I have found the AER acoustic cube to be very accurate ....it doesn't colour the sound....so I was able to get a very good match. I tried it with a tenor sax and found the settings almost identical. I use my own Sennheiser mic so now I have a constant sound reference for most situations. It may not be what the audience hear but for me it is always the same because I can control the volume of the monitor. I then don't have to over blow to hear myself...if it is seriously loud then .....love them or hate them you have to rely on the sound guys anyway.

If you have one good ear you can have the monitor on that side....of course there was a clue in your post that suggests a monitor would be of no use... "trumpet junkie" suggests you may be rationalizing a new horn....now that I can relate to!

Walter
jsou1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter,

Any reason to rationalize a new trumpet, right?

In most cases I lead my own gigs so I do have control over speaker placement and where I stand and that helps greatly. It's the jobs that I may be hired for in which I don't have control over where I am in relation to the speakers or monitors (if available) that I have problems. I sing as well, but not hearly myself that well through the mains or monitors doesn't seem to effect my vocal performance, Not hearing my horn however results in my endurance fading pretty quickly. For example, I had a Bach CR310 short model cornet for a short while which was actually a pretty nice horn in hindsight. I did a few gigs with that horn for which I was hired to just play the horn. On a few of those jobs it was a small room and I used no mic at all. I was able to play all night long with great endurance as a result of the bell being so close to my face. Based on that I'm thinking that although I would never get the feedback of a short model cornet from a trumpet, there might be some trumpets with better feedback than others,

Thanks,

2014 Schilke Handcraft HCL-1
1941 Conn NY Symphony (22B)
1973 Yamaha 731 Flugelhorn
Warburton mouthpieces (anchor grip tops)
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Johnny,

I hope there is a horn that will help.......

I have had two gigs recently with the similar problems. One was an open air stage.....powerful sound was coming out of the front speakers but being behind them it was hard to hear what the audience was getting....on stage the monitors needed EQ..I rely on my ears a lot when improvising....the keyboard monitor sounded very thin and was missing midrange and bass........fortunately I could hear myself quite well. The second time I brought my cube but the sound guy said his monitor would be fine....wrong...the sound bore no resemblance to a trumpet....... I don't know why it doesn't affect your singing as well? We have all seen the better guys on talent shows get "pitchy" .....no doubt down to what they are hearing.

I have decided to force my cube on sound guys where I can..... then at least I know where I am...thank goodness most of my stuff is in the more intimate settings...

I wish you well in your search for a new horn.....

Walter

PS I liked the sound samples on your site.....
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

Kind of looks like the culprit is lacquer when you look at my list. The berylium bell sucks too for hearing yourself

Copper is not great for feedback either it looks like, although copper and lacquer tend to go together

Doug M

Doug, I'm not too sure about lacquer being the culprit. Two of the better horns I had for feedback were a Strad 72* in lacquer and an LA Benge 3X in lacquer.

My Schilke B4 with beryllium bell was not a good horn as far as feedback was concerned.

I don't know if we all think of "feedback" the same way. I'm not claiming I'm correct, but to me, feedback is not the direct sound coming out of the horn, it is the reverberant, reflected sound bouncing around in an acoustical environment that comes back at us. The faster the arrival rate (of this reflected sound) back to our ears, the better the feedback.

My casual observation and experience has been, all other things being equal, that trumpets with a bell flare that produce a broad, wide, "shotgun" sound pattern have worse feedback than trumpets with bell flares that produce a more focused, "sniper rifle" type sound pattern.

Bell size is less important than bell flare. Some of the better "feedback" trumpets I've owned had 4 5/8" bells. I owned 4 LA Benge 3X trumpets, all with 4 5/8 " bells - and all with excellent feedback.

Because playing outdoors is often like playing in an "anechoic chamber" (an environment without echo), feedback is harder to perceive. This is where monitors can be very helpful to aid feedback.
jsou1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Good point. You're on to something there. I also have much better luck hearing myself if when the sound hangs in the air longer either with a naturally reverberant room or by applying a reverb effect with a long decay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: