• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Interesting set up technique possibility/forward jaw chops

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Interesting set up technique possibility/forward jaw chops Reply with quote

Might work for other settings too. Now either this concept will make sense to you or you'll be clueless. In the later case this probably just means you can't use the set up technique well.

Over the years i've fiddled with a forward jaw setting in order to grab some extra notes way up top. Sure enough it gave me some serious top end and with little struggle.

This range didn't come without some complications. For one I had trouble getting volume in the upper register when starting from low in the staff and ascending way above High C. And the second major problem was the difficulty of hitting the first note of a high note phrase on the money. The most important note in other words. Now the second note would be accurate but I honestly didn't know what the heck would come out of the horn in the first note of a high passage. Once I got above a High C or thereabouts that is. I might even over shoot the note by a freaking fifth higher above. Or maybe no note would come out. Frustrating...

These were two problems I never had while blowing receded jaw. My more "natural" setting.

So I thought about it and decided that the reason that the first note was hard to keep "in bounds" (on forward jaw) must have something to do with the smaller margin of error in the top lip while playing with a forward setting. As compared to a receded jaw setting which (typically) uses more upper lip in the mouthpiece. So I figured the key to getting my chops to hit the first note accurate (on FORWARD jaw) was by INCREASING the "play" within the embouchure and more specifically the top lip.

Well in recent months I've found something that really helps. I borrowed an old Maggio/Carelton MacBeth set up technique. Which at first seems odd to me because Maggio was such a top lip/receded jaw setting. Forward jaw players tend to be more bottom lip dominant. Thus I figured there wouldn't be much crossover value to anything written by Maggio. Not so.

What I did was before forming the embouchure and blowing a note through my horn I put the mouthpiece DIRECTLY below my nose while just BARELY making contact with my skin. Then with the mouthpiece hardly even touching enough to tickle my skin I'd set my lower lip muscles, slide the mouthpiece down to it's regular position and finally play the note. This way I was putting maybe 90% of the contact pressure on the lower lip. And with a very relaxed upper lip inn the general vicinity of the mouthpiece. My upper lip mouth corners would be firm but the area around the mouthpiece (inside & out) was relaxed & soft.

After some practice this really made a big difference. I was hitting the first note much more accurately, my volume stayed loud and consistent from low to high (without re-setting) and I was getting a lot more punch to my upper register. Particularly those notes around High C/D etc. The High G and above was also getting nice & fat.

None of this is an embouchure "change". More of a strategic exercise or practice "dry run".

What i figure is that by minimizing the contact pressure on the upper lip in a forward jaw setting the muscles OUTSIIDE the mouthpiece and in my face were able to "communicate" better with the inner embouchure. That and the lessened contact pressure allowed more "play" within the "gears".

Either this stuff makes sense to you or it won't. Don't trip on it if it doesn't.

Now in my normal receded jaw setting I haven't had much luck with this particular set up technique. It is just so upper lip dominant. The upper lip CONTROLS much more in my receded jaw setting that a radically reduced contact pressure isn't of much help.

The best way I've found at minimizing arm/contact pressure on my upper lip in a RECEDED jaw setting is by simply practicing the palm technque. Increasing my "palmed' range and volume. So called zero pressure doesn't quite cut it for me on the receded jaw setting. My upper lip needs to "take charge". Oddly a fair amount of contact pressure can still be maintained with just the gravity on the horn resting on the palm.

Anyway it is fun to be taking this forward jaw setting out of the practice room and into the gig. A real chop saver though it has taken a lot of perseverance and dedication. Not for the impatient or faint of heart. My receded jaw chops still must carry the burden of most my playing today but possibly not for long. For right now i can still do all the lead work on receded jaw for something like any given Tower Of Power or BS&T type of tune and for several sets a night. Certainly that's enough musical range though the DHC isn't really a note for me while playing receded jaw.

But as the forward jaw setting kicks in? Well the sky is the limit.

There are those here who do not want you to learn extreme range technique. They'll insist that "it's too hard" or "unmusical". "More to music that high notes" and a dozen other cop out type negative concepts designed to discourage you. While an alternate embouchure isn't always easy to learn (actually for some people it is quite simple like it was for Roy Roman) it isn't impossible.

The only thing that makes it impossible is the limited thinking and negative attitude of these so called "chop doctors". People whose ideas have more holes in it than swiss cheese. And a doctrine that pretends the laws of physics do not apply to trumpet playing. Silliness but plenty people take these cats seriously.

It's part of the reason we see so many trumpet players with inadequate range.
md-jones
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell it like it is Lee!
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,
Interesting post. I've heard of several people talk both about the forward jaw and Maggio before, including Roger Ingram in our lessons. I'm experimenting with forward jaw and "upstream" air as well, and it's great to feel high Gs, double Cs, and sometimes higher come out with ease. But I agree, it's tough to control and incorporate into daily playing.
I wouldn't be so quick to dis "chop doctors" though. I know that Jeanne Pocius, Pops, Jeff Smiley, and Bobby Shew are very into getting people into more efficient settings. I think these people understand the laws of physics and how they relate to trumpet playing pretty well.

Best,
Matt
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilgenboogie wrote:
Lee,
Interesting post. I've heard of several people talk both about the forward jaw and Maggio before, including Roger Ingram in our lessons. I'm experimenting with forward jaw and "upstream" air as well, and it's great to feel high Gs, double Cs, and sometimes higher come out with ease. But I agree, it's tough to control and incorporate into daily playing.
I wouldn't be so quick to dis "chop doctors" though. I know that Jeanne Pocius, Pops, Jeff Smiley, and Bobby Shew are very into getting people into more efficient settings. I think these people understand the laws of physics and how they relate to trumpet playing pretty well.

Best,
Matt

After travelling down the road of different systems, varying results and the benefits/shortcomings of various chop set ups I've developed an intuitive feel for what works, what could work and what doesn't. Maybe most of it is explainable although tricky at times. And there are others who feel that very little is explainable and may even resent the suggestion that it is.

So from this vantage point I can kind of see who is trying to "put a square peg in a round hole". From what I've seen this is what most of them are doing. Particularly those with a pedal tone and syllable emphasis. Witchcraft largely though with some subliminal if indirect benefits.

The point being why not spell out the specifics? List the cause and effect. I've seen advice given here that is absolutely at war with the laws of physics. Embouchure designs or descriptions that (if actually ever applied) couldn't possibly work. People who think (for all intents and purposes) that the upper lip doesn't need to descend within the mouthpiece.

And then SELLING that idea to make a buck.

???

If someone wants to describe a physical principle it had darn well be a valid one. If he stops short at some area say "I can't quite explain this but it may seem to help". And then continue on with those parts of the discussion that they can explain.

Of the ones you listed perhaps Roger Ingram is closest to being on the money. He admits communication obstacles. That and he doesn't insist on a purely sound based model for the initial production of high notes.

So of course since he tells the truth he gets dissed on TH from top to bottom.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilgenboogie wrote:
I've heard of several people talk both about the forward jaw and Maggio before, including Roger Ingram in our lessons.
Strange, I've also had lessons with Roger and he never mentioned it...perhaps because he doesn't play that way?
I know for a fact that he uses an open embouchure, and I don't believe his lower jaw protrudes or if he blows upstream.
In any case, I use a modified Maggio setup and although I'm not an
upstream player it feels very solid, and there is no 'break' in range in
any register.
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Ingram uses a forward setting. His trumpet is straight out and his lips are equal with each other. I'd consider that more forward than receded. I play with a receded jaw and my friend (who takes lessons from him) plays with a forward jaw. Roger confirmed that his embouchure is very similar to my friend's and was specifically referring to the placement of the jaw. I do not know if he is upstream. Let me say that I do NOT take lessons from him and have been known to be wrong before. This is just how it appears to me.
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
hilgenboogie wrote:
I've heard of several people talk both about the forward jaw and Maggio before, including Roger Ingram in our lessons.
Strange, I've also had lessons with Roger and he never mentioned it...perhaps because he doesn't play that way?
In my lessons, Roger talked about the "unfurling" of the lips (read: rolling out) that Jerome Callet talks about in Trumpet Yoga. This comes direct from Maggio, and Roger even told me about the monkey on the cover, since this was the first I'd heard of it (this was like 10 years ago.) He's also a student of Bobby Shew who is a very big proponent of airstream pivoting through the different registers (airstream up in the mouthpiece for high notes, down in the mouthpiece for low notes.) The easiest way to do this is with a forward jaw, using it like a rudder (Roy Steven's terminology, who Roger cites on his website.)
Also, check out this picture. Forward jaw.
[img]http://rogeringram.com/practice.php[/img]
I'm not trying to start a war with you, I just figured I'd back up what I said. I could be wrong, too, but this is how I remember it.
Best,
Matt
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geroge Graham talked about adding a fourth to his range once he got his lower jaw in the right place, more forward so the pressure isn't mainly on the upper lip. A teacher he studied with (maybe George Worth?) helped him with this. He said control took a while so you're dead on accurate.
Like Roger (I've had a lesson with him, very worth while!) George played with an open aperture for the sound. I think Roger also said it gives you somewhere to go (aperture becomes smaller the higher you play).
George and Arnie's Range Exercise works this, a take off on an old Maggio Exercise. Arpeggio ascending very soft, add two half steps at the top (still quite soft) then crescendo to full sound once you are playing the high note easy. Trains the chops to work correctly, and a very simple study to play all over the trumpet. Roger's Glissando's very soft do a similar thing, 40 times a day for 40 days!!! Maybe he said 30..
Heard Roger last week at L.A. Jazz Institute, he was really playing well. World Class!!
Of course Charley Davis played Sunday Night.......wow!!!!
He made the music sound great......not just himself, not just the band....but the charts really came alive! A great music lesson right there.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilgenboogie wrote:
I'm not trying to start a war with you
That's good.
dbacon wrote:
I think Roger also said it gives you somewhere to go (aperture becomes smaller the higher you play).
This I do remember him saying.
Whatever he does, it obviously works!
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward jaw playing can be tricky for a lot of players. The reason why Stevens-Costello had so many failures.

There is, however a strong correlation between good scream players and a forward jaw setting.

I can play with a respectable high register while playing receded jaw but have really really gotta "muscle it". Can take me many months to get in the kind of primo shape required to hit good High A's and such.

Then on a forward setting i can practically warm up on those notes and ascend a clear octave above.
trumpetingbynature

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Forward Jaw Setting Reply with quote

Lee, et al:

You might find that using a forward push of the lower LIP accomplishes even better results, without running the risk of TMJ (injury of the jaw joint in front of the ear).

The reason this works so well is that the lower lip is freer to move than the jaw.

It does take some time to develop the chin muscles (mentalis, especially), but the advantage in range (both higher and lower) without loss of good tone is substantial.

The other advantage this gives is that it allows a deeper tunnel of lip vibration than do flattened lip sets (as often happens with tight corner or open jawed players).

Wayne Bergeron is a good example of this type of lead player. Check him out!

Best,
Jeanne
www.instrumentalchange.org
TPIN's Chop Doc
Author of "Trumpeting, By Nature"
www.outskirtspress.com/jeannegpocius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just me, but if I don't have the lower teeth supporting the lower lip all the work effort's sitting on the upper lip.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, I, too, have a slight receded jaw set (as I listen to a 1981 Don Menza record featuring the "receding" Chuck Findley on lead). I've recently been turned on to the Maggio book by a rather reputable husband/wife trpt playing family here in LA and I know precisely of what you speak, particularly in the direction of moving the mpc down from your nose onto a set lower lip, as opposed to just mashing it onto compressed chops and my more vulnerable, much abused upper lip. And Jeanne's comments, at least for me, are spot on. It's far easier to move that lower lip out a notch than the entire jaw. After only a few weeks with this method, and after going 'Chicago' for a while, I've been able to find myself playing longer, with improved range and finally getting the sound in my head out there. At least in my case, I'm playing less AGAINST my chops as THROUGH them, which clearly happens when I'm too tight or the lips are too flat against the mpc rim.

Ed Mann
www.myspace.com/jazzlips
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then with the mouthpiece hardly even touching enough to tickle my skin I'd set my lower lip muscles, slide the mouthpiece down to it's regular position and finally play the note.

haha... Welcome to something Reinhardt students do all the time.

What you said is actually two-fold.

1. Set the embouchure BEFORE placing the mouthpiece. Which Reinhardt said should always happen: one should always Place on firm chops - breath through the corners without separating the lips inside the mouthpiec - then blow.

2. Reinhardt also said basically aim to set slightly high of your 'groove' and let the mouthpiece find its place. Otherwise you can end up with the inconsistencies your just mentioned.

-------------

Jeanne,

How do you help your students make this transition from forward jaw to forward lip?

Chris
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Forward Jaw Setting Reply with quote

trumpetingbynature wrote:
Lee, et al:

You might find that using a forward push of the lower LIP accomplishes even better results, without running the risk of TMJ (injury of the jaw joint in front of the ear).

The reason this works so well is that the lower lip is freer to move than the jaw.

It does take some time to develop the chin muscles (mentalis, especially), but the advantage in range (both higher and lower) without loss of good tone is substantial.

The other advantage this gives is that it allows a deeper tunnel of lip vibration than do flattened lip sets (as often happens with tight corner or open jawed players).

Wayne Bergeron is a good example of this type of lead player. Check him out!

Best,
Jeanne

I have a whole ton of range and experience Jeanne but thanks for the thought. As a matter of fact with the prior placement under the nose i tend to put more conrtact pressure on the lower lip.

As for converting a receded jaw setting into forward? Well I couldn't do that until completely revamping the lip surface/texture in the mouthpiece. What worked on receded jaw (for me) was near worthless on a forward setting. No matter what i did the lower lip remained too stiff to control the aperture.

So I found two ways of revamping the forward jaw 2 suit my needs. Took a while but was worth it..

One was using an extremely large mouthpiece beyond even a Schilke 24. It gets some laughs from the critics however they generally can't reproduce the same results. Clear triple C. I take their views with grain of salt and hearty horse laugh...

And with a rolled out or pooched lower lip on conventional mouthpieces.

However keeping my lower lip in it's natural position is of no use on forward jaw. Like putting Chevy parts on a Ford. Doesn't work.
dennett
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LeeC"]
hilgenboogie wrote:
Lee,
Interesting post. I've heard of several people talk both about the forward jaw and Maggio before, including Roger Ingram in our lessons. I'm experimenting with forward jaw and "upstream" air as well, and it's great to feel high Gs, double Cs, and sometimes higher come out with ease.

This is no different than what has been preached to me since my first trumpet lesson in 1978. The lower jaw is the bed of the embouchre, taking the load and acting like a sounding board. The upper lip should take no more than 50% of the load max and preferably noticably less. When I do this my endurance, range and technique are 100% of what I've got. When I mess up at it (brain tired, having a "doh" day, poor or no warmup etc.) everything suffers as a result; the pressure points on my upper lip/edge of the teeth take a beating, endurance is toast, playing is far less efficient . It is so blindingly obvious to me from the standpoint of sound and sensations that it is hard to imagine any other setting, but I manage nonetheless from time to time. I have struggled with a recalcitrant receding lower jaw all my life, and it is usually on "manual" all the time.
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However keeping my lower lip in it's natural position is of no use on forward jaw. Like putting Chevy parts on a Ford. Doesn't work.

How far forward can your jaw go? Can it go beyond the point where the bottom teeth are aligned with the top?

If not that may be why you have to use the pooched lower lip.

Just a thought?
Chris
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

healey.cj wrote:
Quote:

How far forward can your jaw go? Can it go beyond the point where the bottom teeth are aligned with the top?

If not that may be why you have to use the pooched lower lip.

Just a thought?
Chris

Naw. If it was that easy I'd have converted to forward jaw 35 years ago.

What seldon gets discussed (if ever) is the way jaw movement forward or backwards affects the texture in the lower lip. In fact it stands to reason that lip texture in general has a profound affect on the range, sound and even endurance of trumpet players. It both limits or extends performance in ways that are difficult to explain and even harder to prove.

We see this on other instruments all the time. Sax players are always fooling around trying to find the perfect reed for a certain musical idiom. Guitar players choose strings that help create a certain tone or style.

So my theory is that the given lip texture of a trumpet player must have an effect upon range.

One of the things most advancing trumpet players eventually get turned on to is pedal tones even though i've never seen a rational or scientific reason WHY they should do this. About the most intelligent explanation for using pedal tones I've seen goes something like: "Well we've seen a correlation between pedal tone study and a sudden increase in range". That's it in any text i've ever seen.

Beyond that you won't find anything (that i know of) that will explain WHY pedal tones "work" if indeed they actually do work for a given trumpet player. My guess is that this is a hit or miss practice technique study.

IF there is a reason(s) why pedal tones increase range one of the main components probably is that they alter the lip texture in one or both lips allowing a more supple control. Better characteristics for vibrating AND the ability to maintain a smaller aperture control without excessive stiffening.

Excessive stiffening has to be the main reason why the forward jaw movement doesn't work for some players.

In a receded jaw (probably the most common embouchure around) more of the inner upper lip membrane is allowed to vibrate. Push the jaw forward?

Well at that point you can not get the inner portion of the upper lip vibrating. And the lower lip gets less contact with the upper. Thus the aperture tunnel can not be involved in sound production as much.

So we often see weak sounding trumpet players after they switch to a forward jaw movement. Occasionally the forward jaw is a God send. Just as it was with Roy Roman. However it appears in photos of Roy Roman that he has a very supple lower lip.

So it is (or was as the case may be) with Ferguson, Jon Faddis and Bill Chase. I've seen all thes men in person and observed this directly with my own eyes. Chase and Fergie's set up weren't way forward w/the jaw (while Faddis plays waay out with his jaw) but close to an even jaw setting. I can't play that way on a normal embouchure. Won't work at all.

However on a very large mouthpiece I can play forward jaw. Ditto if i screw around with a pooched out lower lip setting on more conventional mouthpieces. This alters the lip texture and at least makes available a wickedly high top range. At that point it just becomes a matter of putting the hours over time and persevering. Unlimited usable range can then be possible.

Notes so high that the ledger lines bump into the staff above where you finished playing in other words...
Chuckmonster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Andrea Tofanelli at Banff last week, and that jaw was out and locked when he was screaming. I never really fooled around with this until I read Hickman's book, but after seeing it IN PERSON, I'm gonna give it a shot.
Walt White had the same jaw look as Tofanelli with equally impressive results. Couldn't see Chris Jaudes' set up from where I was sitting, but that guy has some pretty serious range and power, too.
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However on a very large mouthpiece I can play forward jaw. Ditto if i screw around with a pooched out lower lip setting on more conventional mouthpieces. This alters the lip texture and at least makes available a wickedly high top range. At that point it just becomes a matter of putting the hours over time and persevering. Unlimited usable range can then be possible.

Lee,

What type is your normal embouchure?

IIIB? IIIA?

And when you bring the jaw forward... the mouthpiece placement stays in the same place as it is for you normal embouchure?

I reckon your mouthpiece isn't in its ideal place for this setup which is why you are being forced to use huuge mouthpiece.

Just a theory though.
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: