• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do I really need a double C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quote from Doc Severinsen, to me-"There's a lot of people out there who can play really high notes. Very few of them can play Lead trumpet, that's a whole different animal." Tom.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must chime in on this one.

I've been a full time player for twenty five years. I've heard so many terrible trumpet players that could just play high notes that I can't keep track!

NO YOU DON"T NEED A DOUBLE C

I often wonder how many of these so called double C players can actually play that Double C in music.

I don't mean glissing up to it on the end of a chart. I mean playing up to it , and back down again. I mean tonguing it strait on , in tune with a good sound, and having it day in and day out CONSISTENTLY on the bandstand.

If you go by those rules I don't think that there are as many "real double C players" around as you might think.

There are too many "high note jocks" and so very few real musical trumpet players.

If you have a good solid high G ,and can play different styles musically then you've got it all over these "so called" double C players. Go back and read Wilmers post again. That says it all !!

At a time when sampled horns, and Kareoke is taking over our business, the world needs musicians. Not "feats of strength".

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Mr.Hollywood on 2003-04-17 10:54 ]
interlocutor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is in High Range Development.
So the posters here would obviously be interested in same, yes?
Yet everyone is saying...."nahhhhhh....don't bother, don't need it".
That seems contradictory.
I revel in the fact that there are those like Lee Adams or Mark van Cleave who can blow me away with their range in the triples.
It gives me a standard to shoot for.
So, bachstrad, please don't set your sights on "good enough" or "necessary".....please challenge yourself to the level of "best".
A life filled with accomplishment, or the striving for same, is more pleasant than one filled with sour grapes and complacency.
BTW, the physical pleasure of playing up to doubleC, just the way one's body interacts with the horn as the notes slot (if one uses a technique-based rather than force-or-equipment-based method)......that alone is a reason for trying until it's yours. Feels great.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this probably should have gone on another topic post, but mat be related:

Who did the screech solo in the middle of the Tommy James and the Shondells song "Sweet Cherry Wine"? I don't know the answer. Just checking.

Also, Listen to one of the first Monkees albums, There's a tune that Davy Jones sings and some trumpet guy is all over the end of it WAY up there. I think it's Brisbois as my memory tells me his credits are listed somewhere on the Seeley music page. Not sure and too lazy to check. Probably Brisbois was the guy cuz no one else was doing that stuff back then

lee
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ... some of your "Double High C'ers" ... uhhhh well they squeek it out like a frail little mouse. Kinda like ... ahhhhhh ... well ugh a little guy claiming he can bench press 315 lbs. (of course with a back breaking bridge ... his head off the bench and bouncing the weight off his chest like a basketball). Saying you can play a double high C (playing it within music) and squeeking it out like "Church Mouse" are two different things. Roger Ingram versus The Mouse.

I just finished playing "Lead Trumpet" at our Churches Easter Music Celebration (3 services of 2000 plus people in each service) and happened to arrange the horn parts which were my own TOP style parts. My part was consistent ... repeated D's and E's above the staff on both tunes. I also had a Fat F# on the end of one tune. It helps to be able to play Double C's so that you can actually "command" the D thru Double A range. The highest note that I have ever played within any music to date throughout my thirty plus years of playing was a double A.

http://www.ahomebasedbusiness.com
http://www.abodybalanceliquidvitamin.com
http://www.aweightlossdiet.com
http://www.aromatherapyweightloss.com

[ This Message was edited by: redhothorn on 2003-04-23 01:05 ]
Castle Bravo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I play double c's all day until my ears hurt in a practice room where nobody can hear me is because it's FUN. Double c may not be all that useful, but it is rewarding knowing you can do it. I learned how to golf a few years ago, and it's FUN. I'll never be famous for it, & I'll never be Tiger Woods, but I know how to do something that I didn't know how to do before, and I enjoy doing it. Same with the dubba.

Also, I agree with the previous post, If you need to play music that commands a strong 'A', that had better not be your highest note.....If you can bury large populations with a double c, the 'A' will be no problem, and you will be physically & mentally prepared for it.
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you don't NEED a double C.
However you definetely need to be able to play in tune, with a good sound, with a full range of dynamics, with clear and precise articulation, with great time and rhythmic integrity, with musical awareness of every genre, with grace and passion and with other people!
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have got the dubba... flaunt the dubba! It makes for a great conversation piece and if you have a website with sound clips it is the equivilent to putting up a picture of a neked lady. Just watch those hits come in by the thousands to hear that dubba C!

In Peace,

TM
FirstChairJohnny

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand what the big fuss over Double C is. I could hit that note when I was in 7th Grade. I'm in 9th grade now. Why are all of you guys talking about how hard it is to hit a Double C? I, in fact, have a Double High D. But I just think that a Double C is necessary because a lot of the pieces I play in band have Double C's quite often. One time I nailed a Double C-sharp and everyone in my section congratulated me and gave me high fives. I was so proud. It's just that, after all of this range success, it makes me wonder why everyone else talks about Double C like it's some big "screaming" deal? It's not a hard note to hit! If there was a C above Double C, now THAT would be hard to hit. But luckily for me, at the age of 14, I never have to worry about improving my range anymore. I just need to stay right where I'm at and everything will be fine!
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FCJ --

Nice try. The people here are far too sophistimicated to fall for such an obvious troll.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstChairJohnny, Just be sure you aren't confusing High C (two ledger lines above the staff) with Double High C (sixth space above 5th ledger B) This is pretty common among young and inexperienced players. When I was in 5th grade I though "High C? No Problem!" What I didn't realize was that the third space C wasn't High C. If you truly have a Double C at your tender age, my hat is off to you.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
FirstChairJohnny

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophisticimated huh? That can't possibly be a word. Especially considering I read through the whole dictionary last weekend and still managed to practice 7 hours on both days. Looks like the joke's on you. haha.

TrickG: well I never!

LOL....

[ This Message was edited by: FirstChairJohnny on 2003-05-05 12:52 ]
bachstrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hear a sound clip FirstChairJohnny, talk is cheap.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody whose profile says, "I am so good it's amazing, better than ALL of you! Ha!" is clearly here to get a rise out of people. Please, let's not encourage him.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by DaveH on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
FirstChairJohnny

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some people on this board were a bit slow to pick up on this joke.

For those who are still not following me, FirstChairJohnny is not a "real" person. His name was derived from an amusing chapter in Jeff Smiley's Balanced Embouchure book (those who have read it will know who FirstChairJohnny is and what he represents).

FirstChairJohnny is an abomination; in fact, I'd go far enough to say that he's every self-respecting musician's nightmare. He is a combination of every annoying, ignorant, stupid talentless-but-thinks-he's-the-best-thing-since-the-invention-of-valves musician whom I have encountered, both in real life and on this website (more-so in real life however). Believe it or not, about 90% of the pathetic things I have posted as FirstChairJohnny were actually words of various other horribly clueless musicians (not all of them were/are trumpet players). It is unbelievable how ignorant and un-musical some people are/can be.

FirstChairJohnny is a symbolical reference to every clueless musician who thinks they're "hot stuff". I am by no means bashing first chair players in general because I myself have held first chair positions in school my share of times, however it was nothing to get too proud of. Johnny is comic relief: a running gag. And he should be treated as such. For those who took Johnny seriously: I think you need to get outside more. As Nonsense Eliminator pointed out already, it was an obvious joke. If you can't tell the difference between pain-stakingly obvious humor and a serious comment, please go play in the sun. Maybe you forgot what being a ninth grader was all about. lol.

P.S. I'm not really a ninth grader :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: FirstChairJohnny on 2003-05-06 21:37 ]
allofyougetalife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-05 15:48, DaveH wrote:
FirstChairJohnny, or whatever you are...I can tell you a good place to put the "chair..."

I like how you included a HA! at the end of your profile, because you should find the HUMOR section of this forum and post there...you sure do know how to post crap...

I'm also glad that you posted your age and that you are in 9th grade(amazing) because it really shows...too bad you give everyone else your age a bad rap...

What a joke...grow up, if possible...you don't need a trumpet - you need mommy and daddy...and probably a whole load of discipline...

This is why this website desperately needs a teenager forum...

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2003-05-05 15:50 ]</font>

All of you get a life, especially............

DaveH

Chill out man!

AOYGAL
roelf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-26 09:07, Garroid wrote:
You don't NEED a double c; I've been playing for 17.5 years, and until last DEC, I didn't have a double c, didn't need one.

I have one now, and here's what it sounds like:
http://www.garroid.com/d.mp3
http://www.garroid.com/7m31.mp3

Here's why I went looking for it:
I have always had range upto about an f or g, nothing fancy, solid most of the time, but unreliable. I sat 6th chair in the all-VA band in 1991, have sat on the lead book most of my life. I'm currently in the 1st ID Band, and have worked anywhere from the local coffe house to subbing with a symphony.

And I played with pain. I was good for 2 sets, no more; then the pain started and I would be seriously hurting by the end of the night. I decided that people like Ingram & Andre were NOT freaks, they have chops for days, and I wanted that. Duh. We all do. I decided to learn how to play like the people that say they don't get tired, and don't have bad chop days. Thankyou Jeff Smiley for the balanced embouchure. Ive learned it by getting the high notes first, and then bending the embouchure down to the playable register. There is much more to the method than this, get the book & see. I'm not there yet, but Im making progress daily, and there is NO PAIN. The only reason I stop practicing now is if I have to be somewhere else at a given time....

Some people hurt themselves trying to get the double c, just for the sake of having one. I say, If you can NAIL a double c as the first note of the day, you are probably doing something right, and can or will be able to play normal stuff for days on end with no pain. The dubba is a means to an end, perhaps not the end itself. A really good litmus test.

please give me more info on jeff smiley's book
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Castle Bravo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info on Jeff Smileys book, go to http://www.trumpetteacher.net
To order, talk to Bruce Lee http://www.northernbrass.com email brucelee@northernbrass.com
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: