• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comparison of old Purviance and Reeves mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="John Mohan"]
gbdeamer wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
surfhorn wrote:
Surfboard quiver: 15

That's impressive.

LOL!!

What search criteria did you use to get to that particular line in a thread that's over 5 years old?

giakara wrote:
I bet that John is make a recherch and ivery soon he will hold a Purviance 5*3 , and i am sure after all those years of comvesations that he wlll love it.

Regards

You are clearly telepathic.

Actually, I'm thinking of buying both a 4*K4 and a 4*3. But I'm pretty sure the 4*3 would be best for me, since its rim is nearly identical to a 43. Then of course, I'll want a 5*3....

Does anyone know if the 5*3 has an identical rim to the 4*3? The Reeves Website lists them both as 43/64", but also claims the 5*3 has a "Larger diameter deep cup". Perhaps, it just means "larger" than the smaller mouthpieces in the line, not specifically larger than the 4*3.

And does anyone know if the 5*3 cup shape is close to the 43C or the 43M? Actually, I should just call Bob on Monday, shouldn't I? But in the meantime, any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
I was sure John , the two pieces are total the same accept the cup depth and the bore , the 4*3 is a hair deeper than the Reeves 43S with #27 bore and the 5^3 is very close to your favorite 43C but with #25 bore , both of them has the same rim and bbore , the bbore that those mpcs are famus is something like th Reeves #69 bbore but with much better middle and lows and with the same bright ring in the highs.
As for the rim is very very close to the Reeves 43 , both of them are great pieces and the 5*3 works great with my Getzen Eterna C trumpet the size is inentical with the Reeves 43 and i also have the cornet version of those two pieces and i am exited becose first time i found a piece that works so good on my LB cornets.
Tell us the news when the pieces arrives

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
I bet that John is make a recherch and ivery soon he will hold a Purviance 5*3 , and i am sure after all those years of comvesations that he wlll love it.

Regards

Well, you were half right. It was not "very soon", but I finally found and bought an original Purviance 5*3 from another TH member who had bought it for an incredibly low price about six months ago and just sold it to me for a generously low price. It arrived last Wednesday and IT IS THE BEST MOUTHPIECE I HAVE EVER PLAYED.

Cheers,

John
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of the 4*K4/5*K4 (42/64) is identical rims with defferent cups.
Same with the 4*3/5*3 (43/64).

I played them on and off for many years (since 1968). I had a wonderful 4*K4 that I got from Mike McGovern (RIP) that I never should have sold.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
giakara wrote:

Regards

Well, you were half right. It was not "very soon", but I finally found and bought an original Purviance 5*3 from another TH member who had bought it for an incredibly low price about six months ago and just sold it to me for a generously low price. It arrived last Wednesday and IT IS THE BEST MOUTHPIECE I HAVE EVER PLAYED.

Cheers,

John

I was sure that you will love that piece , after all those years that we have trumpet talk I think that I now your taste in horns and mpc's, tell me how it works with your LB horns becose the Purviance bbore is much more open than the #10 Reeves.
Very glad that you found a new tool and toy my friend enjoy it !!!
Sorry for my terrible English.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: