• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rudy Muck Observations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Rudy Muck Observations Reply with quote

So I now have three very old Rudy Muck mouthpieces, and I've made a few observations. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Let me point out that I am definitely not talking about the modern/new ones. Those have specifications that have been published. These are older ones. Here's an example of one that I won on ebay.

I have now a 19C, a 17C, and a 15S.

1. As near as I am able to measure, all of these mouthpieces have a cup diameter of 0.660". They're all the same.

2. The C mouthpieces have an extra-wide rim where the S mouthpiece has a rim comparable to a modern/standard mouthpiece. However, they are all labeled "Cushion Rim".

3. The C mouthpieces have a V-shaped cup. The S mouthpiece has a bowl-shaped cup. The 15S, in fact, is shaped uncannily like a Bach 3C.

4. The 19C is the shallowest, followed by the 17C, and then the 15S. The progression seems linear, but it's difficult to measure.

5. The exit aperture for all three mouthpieces is notably different. Speculation: the throat and backbore are balanced to the cup volume. Objection: These are all used and old.

Here's where I'm going to put it out there and see what the planet thinks. I speculate that all classic Rudy Muck moouthpieces are the same diameter. The number denotes the cup depth. The letter denotes the cup shape.

So, what do you guys think? Remember, I'm talking the classic old ones, not the modern ones.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this can shed some light on it....
http://www.rudymuck.info/mps.htm

I had one and it was interesting.

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware of that site. There's very little useful there.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.... I have not seen much besides that.

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
dmr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, do you know if anyone has taken a Rudy Muck and put a more conventional rim on it? I read your post about the 15S but it still seems like it's awfully wide.

I "inherited" an old 17c which doesn't see much use; it maybe gets plugged in once a year for kicks. The thing is, it seems like there may be some qualities about the rest of the MP that I would like--IF I could get the rim to work for me...

Sorry if this is a partial hijack, however as discussion comes up so infrequently on this mp I thought I'd jump on it...
Buffalo42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Rudy Muck Observations Reply with quote

I have a old 18C thats been sitting in a box, in fair condition which you may have for your collection. PM me and I'd be glad to send it.

Mike
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmr wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you know if anyone has taken a Rudy Muck and put a more conventional rim on it? I read your post about the 15S but it still seems like it's awfully wide.

I "inherited" an old 17c which doesn't see much use; it maybe gets plugged in once a year for kicks. The thing is, it seems like there may be some qualities about the rest of the MP that I would like--IF I could get the rim to work for me...

Sorry if this is a partial hijack, however as discussion comes up so infrequently on this mp I thought I'd jump on it...

I'm sure any mouthpiece guy could cut the rim down. I've had Karl Hammond do custom work for me before, so he might be worth contacting.

On the 18S, the rim is the same width (or near enough) as my GR 66M.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Sturmbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have an 11M Rudy Muck. It says on it :

Rudy Muck, N.Y.
Cushon Rim
Hand Made

The 11 over M is on the other side. The rim is indeed about .660 and the cup is approximately the same depth as my Curry 5C. I used the scientific method of using a pencil to check the throat and it is somewhat bigger that the Curry's "loose" #27.

Very heavy mouthpiece, but quite comfortable to play.

Bill
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:
Those pictures on E-bay don't look like the original Rudy Mucks. Not only the mouthpiece itself but the rim looks too thin for an original. That Rudy Muck site showed the older ones, quite a difference. I remember those way back in the mid 60's. That "cushion rim" was even larger than the original Parduba's and the cup was very shallow with a very slight second cup.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another Rudy Muck of the same blank shown in the auction cited above, of size 14M.

Here's a recap:

Smaller number is deeper. Letter denotes cup shape. Diameter is more or less the same among all sizes. To answer skootchy above, all of the C cups I've seen have very wide rims. The S and M models I have do not.

So, I recently received a 14M. Compared to the 15S, the cup is slightly smaller diameter. Could be variation from replating, could be normal. Cup shape is approximately the same, mostly a bowl shape.

Depth is interesting. Going from a 15 to a 14, you might think that the cup would be only a little deeper. Instead, it's a lot deeper.

Throat seems to be about the same diameter. Looking up the backbore, it appears that the backbore is of a different shape.

The 14M also plays differently than the 15S. Since I'm just a dorky old comeback player, I can't tell you any more than that. It plays a bit easier on my horns, if that makes any difference.

Got it in raw brass (misread the ad, darnit) so I'll have to get it plated.

The search continues! I'm currently looking for a 13C to see how it compares to the 17C and 19C. I can play the 17C but the 19C is a lost cause, I bottom out.

To address another point made by skootchy about "original" Rudy Muck. These are not the oldest style blank, and they are not the newest. I have a mid- to late-30s Buescher catalog that shows Rudy Muck mouthpieces with this blank in the back, so it's likely they were from around that period. More than that, I cannot say. I also have a 18C marked "hand made" with a VERY sharp bite, like a Bach 10 1/2 CW, a deeper funnel cup, a different backbore, and a different blank. There's also evidence that the line was redesigned in 1937 based on current marketing text. So, this blank is likely post-1937. I don't yet know how long mouthpieces were made with this blank.

The research continues.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Rudy Muck Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Greetings Tom et al,

I realize I am a bit late to the party here. I have been messing with a vintage Muck 17S this week-end, and it feels pretty good. I am curious if you found more info about the vintage Muck mouthpieces other than what is posted above (from >10 years ago!), and if so, would love to hear about it ! From what I have seen so far, there is ALOT of variation in the vintage Muck mp's; I have seen at least 3 vintage ones marked "17C" that were all different, including a wide one, and a pretty narrow one (the one I have been trying out). I am also curious about the 19C, which you had said above is shallower than the 17C......

All the best,

jdm
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played several Mucks back in the '60s and encountered more teaching drum and bugle corps, this 1937 list of measurements seems accurate.

http://www.rudymuck.info/mpbrochure/rmbrochure1.jpg

Last edited by JeffM729 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:
Having played several Mucks back in the '60s and encountered more teaching drum and bugle corps, this 1937 list of measurements seems accurate.

http://www.rudymuck.info/mpbrochure/rmbrochure1.jpg[/img]

Oh - this is great - TY !!

Also - pl. note - for the link to work, you have to deleted the "[/img]" tag from the end of it. Also, for some reason, it would not open on my iPhone, but the link works fine on my computer.

TY again - !

Jeremy M.
!
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: