• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Alliance mouthpieces - review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Alliance mouthpieces - review Reply with quote

Hey all,

I posted a while back saying I was buying an Alliance mouthpiece, well I got my brother on board, and I bought 2.

3A for myself, solo cornet and a 2 for my bro, 2nd cornet. The 3A is advertised as like a Wick 4 with a more comfortable rim and less work up high while maintaining the BB sound (which the 4B doesn't do to me ears), and the 2 is described as a Wick 3 basically.

My thoughts:

The 3A was narrower than my Wick 4, had a nice sound, slightly narrower, more rounded rim. The 3A was brighter than the Wick 4, and it was too small for my lips - I could play on it, but we all have our personal ideal sort of sizes. Mine is between a 3C and a 1 1/4C. The high register was a breeze on this, so if you like smaller mouthpieces the 3/3A would probably work out nicely.

The 2 was a hair larger than a Wick 4 in diameter, but it was a fair bit deper.

I liked the 2 so much I swapped my 3A for a 2AW - wide rim model, slightly shallower. I gave all the mouthpieces a thorough play testing, not in my band yet, but I find them fantastic.

Firstly the 2AW has a fairly wide rim, more so than I have used before, but it is VERY clear! Fantastic sound, articularion, intonation, blow, attack. It is more than what I expected! I spent a solid 40 mins on Arban there, and enjoyed it! That says alot (for me - no attention span). It seems to give much greater dynamic control, plus my FF (which are usually healthy to say the least) can be made FFFF quite easily whilst maintaining a nice even sound and intonation! I don't think I need the wide rim, as the rim on the 2 seems totally fine, but heck its not hindering me!

Onto the 2. It is DEEP! Fantastic sound, it would suit anyone on 2nd very well... or a seriously nuts solo cornet player!! My brother finds his low register a little sharp, but I don't. We used both of our cornets to test both. The Alliance has a much clearer response on any instrument I tried. I will say again, the 2 is a deep mouthpiece! I can play high enough on it, but it would probably tire you out quickly if you were in the front.

On the Alliance mouthpieces I can play a clear, in tune pedal C at FF. I could definately not do this on the Wick.

Customer support was superb! Roger allowed me to swap my 3A for the 2AW, no questions asked! I just paid £2.51 for shipping! Very friendly folks, and they answer emails.

Have a poke: http://www.rogerwebster.co.uk/store/index.php?view=category&path=23

I would suggest trying one if you don't find the Wicks working out for you!

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in more opinions on these pieces. As the OP said, I indeed find Wick mps do not work for me. The rim is too thin. I currently play a JK USA on the trumpet and a JK Exclusive on the flugel but seem to like the US models better. This is why I think Aliance pieces may work for me.

From the pictures, the Alliance models also seem to have a rather broad rim and a heavy-ish overall appearance, though not really heavy. Is this true? Any experience out there with tp and flh mouthpieces?

Thnaks
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I am particularly interested in the Alliance 7 trumpet and the Alliance J flugel mouthpieces. Ideally someone has tested them against the JK mouthpieves I mentioned above

Thanks
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: