• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WHY NOT A BIOFILM OF THE GREAT LEGEND, HARRY JAMES?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet players, especially ones who were famous whenever are important to (sometimes-many) hundreds of us but not to the 7 billion other humans.

Imagine a conversation in 2070 between a couple of old people wondering why there hasn’t been a biopic of the groundbreaking Katy Perry.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Why Not a Biofilm of Jazz Great Harry James? Reply with quote

I agree with many comments before, but Hollywood today wants to burn a few square blocks of downtown, wreck 200 cars, come flying out of outer space, etc. I think the idea is great and I grew up listening to all the big bands and listening to and borrowing 78s and 33 1/3s from grad 5 on. Didn't Ethan Hawke do a movie on "Chet" and I can't find it anywhere to purchase and watch. The people that buy millions of theatre tickets today would rather see something on one of their heroes that appeared on "Intervention" six times. Harry is still one of the Titans of trumpet to me, but I don't think society agrees...... and that is really sad.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Why Not a Biofilm of Jazz Great Harry James? Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Didn't Ethan Hawke do a movie on "Chet" and I can't find it anywhere to purchase and watch.

The movie you are referring to is Born To Be Blue released in 2015 or 2016. I bought it last year on dvd locally but it may be available at Amazon or direct from eonefilms.com It was a really well done movie and Ethan Hawke did some of the playing and singing himself.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read what Don Cheadle had to do to get Miles Ahead made.

We could argue comparative technical prowess of Harry and Miles all the livelong day but Harry in no way ever occupied the cultural boundaries - or pushed them - the way Miles did. In fact, I think if you asked 100 people at random today to name a trumpet player, Miles would probably be first named among the majority.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Why Not a Biofilm of Jazz Great Harry James? Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Harry is still one of the Titans of trumpet to me, but I don't think society agrees...... and that is really sad.

It's not that society disagrees or agrees with your assessment of Harry James as a titan of trumpet. It's just that society isn't interested in trumpet titans, known or otherwise.

Croquethed wrote:
Read what Don Cheadle had to do to get Miles Ahead made.

We could argue comparative technical prowess of Harry and Miles all the livelong day but Harry in no way ever occupied the cultural boundaries - or pushed them - the way Miles did. In fact, I think if you asked 100 people at random today to name a trumpet player, Miles would probably be first named among the majority.

I'd agree with that. It's probably Miles, then Wynton (current, on TV sometimes), then Louie and Chris Botti, maybe. After that's it's probably Dizzy - people vaguely know about the guy with the tilted bell trumpet, sometimes or Doc. Harry's pretty far down the list.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you asked 100 people at random today to name a trumpet player, my guess is that the odds are likely to be Omar Samuel Pasley, or OMI for short. Basing this opinion on youtube viewership.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Recognition Reply with quote

Having worked with Harry James and Doc Severinsen, people I deal with both in music and other business rarely if ever know who both are. This includes young trumpet players I deal with at ITG which really is disturbing. I can understand not knowing Jack Sheldon or Don Fagerquist or Conte Candoli or Woody Shaw or Fats Navarro or, or, or. Of all people, young trumpet players should at least do some listening to the greats in the past. How else do you formulate what becomes "your" style? "Your" sound? Charlie Shavers once said to me, "the best airplane in the world was the Wright Brothers airplane" and it took many years for me to realize the meaning in that statement.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always thought of his sound (tone) as Horst Fischer with more vibrato
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the greatest compliments i ever received, was when I was auditioning just to "qualify as a worthy student" of a prominent jazz trumpet instructor in NYC ... he stopped me in the middle of something (can't recall) I was playing, and said, "Whoa! You've been listening to too much Harry James!".
And, that was on an old NY Bach Stradivarius Cornet.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
One of the greatest compliments i ever received, was when I was auditioning just to "qualify as a worthy student" of a prominent jazz trumpet instructor in NYC ... he stopped me in the middle of something (can't recall) I was playing, and said, "Whoa! You've been listening to too much Harry James!".
And, that was on an old NY Bach Stradivarius Cornet.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn player

Makes one wish for an audio clip of yours!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Recognition Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Of all people, young trumpet players should at least do some listening to the greats in the past. How else do you formulate what becomes "your" style? "Your" sound?
Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

I couldn't agree more, and I am always surprised when I encounter a younger player than me and he/she has no idea of who Harry James was. It was the Harry James sound that inspired me to take my first trumpet lesson at age 17 in 1953.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: