• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

$10,000 mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i respectfully disagree in so far as the mouthpiece.

as for the trumpet itself. Yes, you are correct.
qbert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbird wrote:
stevecass wrote:
This is what is the problem. Under-estimating the importance of the mouthpiece! Diz could have played any trumpet, but it was the mouthpiece that is the link and the 1 constant throughout the his performing years. With the mouthpiece he could jump from any maker trumpet. One of his last trumpets, was donated and at auction purchased by the TONIGHT SHOW as a gift for bandleader Marsalis. ($86,000.)It did not have the original mouthpiece attached. Diz' wife Loraine kept the mouthpiece because it was "more intimate" to Diz than the trumpet. so.... Stating the mouthpiece is simply the pick-up shows the lack of appreciation towards mouthpieces perhaps not lack of appreciation but lack of understanding of their importance to the player. This is a very common perception.

there was a story told by Faddis, about a battle of the horns in which Roy Eldridge, Dizzy Gillepie peformed live with pianist Oscar Peterson. During the break, Oscar switched mouthpieces on the two horns of Eldridge and Gillespie. Both were made by Al Cass, so looked similar in appearance wo the switch went un-noticed. When the performance resumed, either Eldridge or Diz started to blast into their performance, and basically, the player couldn't make a note, he tried again and again and was "lost", so at this point, the other player laughed and began into their own performance,.... same thing, a complete blunder. Then the other player began again, not knowing what to think, and again, same result, then the other player, same thing! Then Oscar called both players to the piano and switched their pieces back in their respective horns. And so.... it was Oscar's practical joke that really put's the importance of the mouthpiece into perspective.

Great story about Diz and Roy but I really don't agree that the mouthpiece makes the player so much. I reckon Diz could do his stuff on just about any mouthpiece. Sure he would have preferred a particular size, but say he used a similar size from a different manufacturer, he'd still be the same quality player.

And I'm sure they never payed more than $5 for one. Or got them for free. Maybe you should help the trumpet world by making these available to any and all trumpet players who write an essay stating how much they appreciate and cherish the rich history of jazz and the Al Cass legacy... And/or donate all your sales proceeds to a music program in your area or the Grammy Music Keep Music in Schools program...
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I owned the rights of reproduction, I would have done this already. But even then it's not that simple. You are not giving the person who made the piece any credit to their expertise. One of the main areas of not understanding is just how difficult mouthpiece perfection is. To many, they all look the same, but tell that to a professional who makes a living playing trumpet.

There are hundreds perhaps thousands of sizes, variations, customifications ..... endless possibilities. But knowing which possibility, variation, customification will serve you, that is an art form that very few understand.

Granted, you don't need a customized/perfect mouthpiece to achieve fame and or fortune. Louis Armstrong played and manipulated himself to a mouthpiece for years that did not "fit" him in the slightest sense.

In fact, during the late 50's, early 60's Armstrong was said to be washed up, he couldn't play that well, his embouchure was destroyed from using pieces that just didn't fit him. during this time, my father heard of Mr. Armstrongs problems, and went to see him. He made dental impressions of his embouchure and eventually made him 3 mouthpieces. (the 1st test piece I have), the other 2 are in the Armstrong archives. But it was during the 60's that Armstrong had his biggest success. Hello Dolly and if not mistaken, "It's a Wonderful World". And he was back better than ever! Now, Mr. Armstrong's new found success didn't find the end result going through his massive mouthpiece collection, he now had a piece that was custom fit to him and his style.

[/i]
Bird Lives

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked how Sweets got that nickname. Harry said, "Prez, Lester Young called me that from the first day I played with Basie. I don't know why and never asked him, but after he called me that, everyone else on the band did too.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of zombies!!!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that "Bird" has been dead for a long time. Just like this thread.
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Pretty sure that "Bird" has been dead for a long time. Just like this thread.

Old threads don't die, they just f a d e a w
a y
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I've got a used spatula for sale. But it's THE spatula. $10k is a fair price. No lowballs, I know what I've got.
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_Another_Hack wrote:
Guys, I've got a used spatula for sale. But it's THE spatula. $10k is a fair price. No lowballs, I know what I've got.

How's it sound?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecass wrote:
Just_Another_Hack wrote:

How's it sound?

I'll bet it makes a really incredible 'slappy' sound when you use it to spank someone.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
stevecass wrote:
Just_Another_Hack wrote:

How's it sound?

I'll bet it makes a really incredible 'slappy' sound when you use it to spank someone.

I'll bet STRIPES is on your top movies list, I know it's on mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: