• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mendez on Baritone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Mendez on Baritone! Reply with quote

I just stumbled on an an old 2 LP set of Mendez playing Arban etudes (syncopation studies) 18-38, on Baritone!

VERY slow and calculated playing. "Mr Mendez suggests the performer practice with the recordings. Mr. Mendez suggests the performer 'make every note a solo'" At that speed they are!

Interesting

b
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I have never heard of these. Tell us more. Is it released by Carl Fischer like the first Arban tonguing etudes?
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you're not playing a 45 rpm record at 33 1/3???
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
Are you sure that you're not playing a 45 rpm record at 33 1/3???
sandtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he actually speak on the recordings to verify the recording speed??
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can be such a moron at times. The discs are 78 rpm. That part of the label is covered by a library call number on all but one of the sides, and frankly, it simply didn't occur to me that they could be 78s. Hence they sounded like a baritone.

I was quite floored by it when I first saw it, hoping it was the characteristic studies. But closer inspection revealed it to be much more mundane.

The cover reads: "For controlled single tonguing and clear precise attack, Mendez plays the New American Edition Arban's complete conservatory Method for trumpet (cornet) or Eb alto... edited by Edwin Franko Goldman and Walter Smith." Recorded by Coast Mfg (LA) and produced and distributed by Carl Fischer. Two ten-inch LPs.

As I indicated in the previous post its etudes 18-38 of the syncopation studies (pp 28-36 of the Green/blue edition - i'm sure you remember the one) They're played out of order: 19-38, 18. Each exercise is preceded by what sounds like a few measures of a simplified version of the study. At the correct speed they sound very bright and clear and the tonguing is crisp. Each note seems to pop out. Kinda reminds me of an old recording of bugle calls from the 30s or 40s. Given the isolated scope of the recordings, I wonder if he recorded more of the arbans.

B
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe you've discovered a valuable resource for baritone players.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does "LP" actually appear on the disk? That would imply 33 1/3. On the other hand, ten-inch shellac is almost always 78rpm.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day in and day out I sit about 20 feet from 9000 Classical LPs dating back to the 50s. 99.99999% of them (I only say that because there's bound to be a few 78s in there) are 33s, so 78 wasn't even on my radar.

Any way, it sure is interesting to hear the tonguing at 33. the 16ths are so solid that it sounds like he's hitting them with a baseball bat. At 78 they're nice and crisp and each one has a ping to it. Can't tell if he's double tonguing any of them, they might sound like it, but wasn't he famous for his fast single tongue?

One thing that comes back to me again andagain is his sound. While much brighter than what I'm used to today, it has a real tight and solid core to it that I find myself attracted to. Interesting...

B
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Mendez recordings of the Arban Studies are amazing.
They are a wonderful example of clean clear crisp tonguing on the trumpet.
I use to practice with that CD a lot , seeing this post remided me of how productive those studies are, I think it would be beneficial to review them.

Last edited by textr on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he do more of the Arbans?
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, he got into an argument with the Arbans people over a misplaced peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and the project slowly dissolved.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textr wrote:
Those Mendez recordings of the Arban Studies are amazing.
They are a wonderful example of clean clear crisp tonguing on the trumpet.
I use to practice with that CD a lot , seeing this post remided me of how productive those studies are, I think it would be beneficial to review them.

Yes, it is amazing how clean his tonguing is!

Recently I have been working on these exercises. I have a very good slow down program, http://www.ronimusic.com/ - so I took down the tempo and played along. (You can keep the pitch or change it)

What you notice at the slower speed is how clear the attack is. (I compared it to some other recordings of Arban - what a difference!)

Btw, I have a few sound clip of Mendez' Arban recordings here:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/mendez/arban/

Ole
mateo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
no, he got into an argument with the Arbans people over a misplaced peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and the project slowly dissolved. I love it- I would have done the same!
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
and the project slowly dissolved.

in milk I hope
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Mendez' instrument collection, now in the Rafael Mendez Library at Arizona State University, there was a baritone. Also included was 7 metal clarinets, an Olds E-flat alto cornet, an Olds E-flat alto trumpet, guitar, string bass, marching French horn, alto horn, Besson flugelhorn, several Olds Mendez-model trumpets, a gold plated and beautifully engraved Mendez-model presentation trumpet, and a H. N. White Mini-Liberty B-flat trumpet (half-size).
MarioChanelio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a few more horns and awards plaques and such in his collection that never made it to the Arizona State University collection of his memorabila. My father was one of the last people to take a few lessons with him and I was lucky to tag along to a lesson. Many years later I saw the collection at Arizona and noticed that it was not nearly as complete as all the items I remember seeing. I also recall a mouthpiece that my dad used to brag that Rafael gave him at a lesson. He was always so proud of that. I imagine he did that with other students and friends as well. Just a thought.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarioChanelio wrote:
There were a few more horns and awards plaques and such in his collection that never made it to the Arizona State University collection of his memorabila. My father was one of the last people to take a few lessons with him and I was lucky to tag along to a lesson. Many years later I saw the collection at Arizona and noticed that it was not nearly as complete as all the items I remember seeing. I also recall a mouthpiece that my dad used to brag that Rafael gave him at a lesson. He was always so proud of that. I imagine he did that with other students and friends as well. Just a thought.

How do you know the collection was incomplete? Seems like something only Raphael himself would only know.

Please don't tell me you're referring to a gold engraved Bach trumpet and an engraved mouthpiece that would be missing.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mendez family kept several of their father's items. The RML does have the gold/engraved trumpet, though.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
The Mendez family kept several of their father's items. The RML does have the gold/engraved trumpet, though.

Hey, Dave!

Interesting thing about families. I used to do genealogy research some years back. I have a little background with surnames, etc. Funny that "Chanelio" is a name that doesn't come up in any data base for family names.

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: