• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It's over - thanks guys

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpelicious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: It's over - thanks guys Reply with quote

Hi all, after 4 years of trying to learn the trumpet I am giving up because of inconsistency. I was diligent in my practice and even went to New York for lessons all the way from Australia. But I just don't think I have what it takes. To all who responded to my queries thanks. I believe that Jerome's method is the one to follow, however sometimes i could play double high c - even double high g but then other times struggle to get a g on the staff. It has become too disheartening and before I become the first man to put a trumpet into orbit I am saying goodbye. I wrote under the name apprentice trump and also trumpelicious.
Regards Ralph
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You would not be the first one to put a trumpet into orbit out of frustration. I did that 24 years ago - after playing professionally for 6 years. To a Stradivarius. In fact I felt like that 2 days ago. Best reason I can think of to play an uber-expensive horn

2. 4 years and you're ready to quit? Trying Callet's approach? Are you NUTS??? Did you expect this was going to be easy?

3. All the greats I'm aware of had times when they felt like it was 0% talent and 1000% hard work. Many, MANY famous quotes to that effect. Here's my favorite:

"there it sits all lined in velvet and luxury, just waiting to mess somebody all up."

- Dizzy Gillespie

If I could take back all the time and effort I've poured into this crazy plumbing I could have a LOT to show for it, doing almost anything else.

But my soul would be empty.

HTH,

Ray
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be baaaaack........

And we'll be here waiting. Go buy a Christmas play along book and CD and have some fun. Relax and enjoy.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: It's over - thanks guys Reply with quote

Ralph,

If you're not having any fun at all playing the horn, then maybe you should hang it up. But, if you can get past some of your expectations (realistic or otherwise) and frustrations, and simply play a fine brass instrument for the sheer fun of it and to make some music to the best of your ability, then perhaps you should consider sticking with it.

Although your range may not be consistent, have you made ANY progress in terms of tone, endurance, intonation, familiarity with/mastery of scales, etc.? Just making sure that you don't throw out the baby with the bath water, Ralph.

(Just between you and me, I think you should stick to playing the horn if you're having even a smidgen of fun doing it.)

Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
Air Molecules Mover
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph,

Consider this: Quit playing only if you can honestly find an convincing answer to this question:

"Is there anything out there that is actually cooler than playing music ?"

(that word in italics is the best I could come up with. Feel free to substitute it with whichever one inspires you more )

If the answer is yes:
Send your horn to martians with a "good luck with it" note and take on what you answered.

If the answer is no:
Play "happy birthday" (stay in the staff, mind you ) the next time some of your loved one turns another year and remember that it's about them, not about getting the piece of plumbing to sound a certain way.
Or play a christmas song if you happen to celebrate it with folks, and let it move you. And them.

Then come back to post, the community will take it from there

Seriously.

Best regards,
*Tomas
lubonv
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Tom!

Custom Made Slide Trumpet & Slide Flugelhorn
SC3

Myspace
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hung it up too, as have many on TH. No progress, constant frustration. One day, about seven years later, I just decided to pick it up again. But on the condition (to myself) that I would only play for fun. No more hours of repetitive exercises. Just actual music. Bought SmartMusic to play along with, joined a community big band, practicing only when I felt like it.

I'll never be more than a hack, but I'm actually a better hack than I was before. And on the bad days I just put it away and try again tomorrow.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your frustration, sir. Please guys, forgive my ignorance, but is Mr. Callet's teaching going to work for everyone? I bought a book and tried and could hardly make a consistent noise. Went back to my old way. Yes, I know, but I had no access to a teacher, so I am probably missing great things. My point is that maybe our friend would find some satisfaction from an older, more traditional approach. Regarding frustration, I've wanted to quit many times. Same for my job, my marriage, etc. :lol:
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: It's over - thanks guys Reply with quote

trumpelicious wrote:
I was diligent in my practice and even went to New York for lessons all the way from Australia.

Next time stay home. Find James Morrison and pay whatever he asks. I'm sure it's less than a flight halfway around the globe. Anyway, what'd ya expect? New York's only got crappy trumpet players! (Which may be why Dillon's has so many for sale. see other thread!)

trumpelicious wrote:
But I just don't think I have what it takes. Ralph

What? No lips and teeth? Two lungs? Less than three fingers? Come on man! Play that thing!
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

I for one, respect your choice. You are an adult and know your mind and feelings. Now what kind of horn do you have and is it for sale lol?
Bach Strad/Harrelson Conv.
Getzen Severinsen
Conn 8B (4-sale)
Martin Committee/Imperial (4-sale)
Olds Studio/(4-sale)
Flugelhorn:
Yamaha 231S Flugel
lubonv
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: It's over - thanks guys Reply with quote

hansonsf wrote:
trumpelicious wrote:

But I just don't think I have what it takes. Ralph

What? No lips and teeth? Two lungs? Less than three fingers? [/color]

No Tongue?

Custom Made Slide Trumpet & Slide Flugelhorn
SC3

Myspace
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree not every method is for everybody. Only four years and you are ready to give up. I hope in these four years of diligent practice that you have been working on the basics - Clark, Schlossberg and Arban studies and a consistent daily routine and warm up.

Don't give up! Practice!

Mike
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO disrespect, but Callet's method is one of the most bizarre, unorthodox methods out there. Why not find a more traditional-type teacher and see how that works?
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above poster who trusts your judgment in deciding what is and isn't fulfilling for you right now. However, it sounds to me like you have everything it takes to do it and if you ever "find the love" again you'll be just fine.

FWIW (and I'm sure I'm not the only one): I'm going on my 13th year of playing trumpet and there are still days when things just don't happen and I struggle all over the place (including G on the staff). Those are the days the horn goes back in the case after a few easy fun tunes and my favorite cd's or my copy of Pshycho-cybernetics comes out.

Good luck!

Kevin

Bruno Walter
Darthsunshine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this transports me back to my 2nd year of college, when I expressed similar sentiments and... quit. In retrospect I quit from burn out and because I was angry about not being as good as I wanted to be. Now, after a full year on the comeback trail I'm having a lot more fun playing for the sake of playing. If you do step away, just don't wait 27 years like I did to hit the comeback trail. I never realized how much I missed it until I came back to it. You might find the same to be true some day. Good luck!

1977 LA Benge 3C
1976 LA Benge 3X+
1972 LA Benge 5x
1963 Burbank Benge Eb/D
1959 Amb. cornet w/ Getzen shepard's crook
Joe Bussing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Glen. I put the horn down for 30 years and now have picked it up and am having a good time with a community band and some occasional big band playing. Maybe its time to just back off a bit and play for the fun of it. If the frustrations work themselves out, you may get back into it more. If not, have fun with it and enjoy the music. Who knows where it may lead.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing worthwhile is easy. You can play a G... how many people do you know who don't even understand what that means? Instead of looking at what you cannot do, look at what you can. The trumpet is a very humbling instrument. ANYone who plays it can tell you that. Most everyone who plays it has at one time or another been frustrated by it. That frustration means you care enough about it to want to do it well.

When a baby learns how to walk, and he/she falls on his/her bottom for the 800th time, he/she does not say "Well, this walking stuff... I just don't have what it takes. Guess I'll quit." Brush yourself off, buy a new mute or case or some new music, get a fresh start, and wake up tomorrow and play the trumpet.

Speaking of a fresh start, I could not agree more with the person who said that Callet's method is one of the most bizarre methods. Especially for someone only playing 4 years. Don't worry about how high you can play; that will come in time. Can you play with a beautiful sound? And yes... go find Mr. Murphy. (HE can play with a beautiful sound!) Get rid of the Callet thing... it causes more problems than solutions for what a 4 year player needs at the moment. Just focus on playing and making great music. I suspect it's that method that is causing your inconsistency by getting you to hyperfocus on everything except what happens on the other end of the bell.

To quote a baseball coach: "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. The hard is what makes it great!" (Isn't that actually from "A League of their Own"?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
beel40
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi-
I am 48. I began playing when I was in 5th grade. I only received a first-division rating at Solo/Ensemble contest when I was a senior in high school, and I am sure it was a "mercy rating." Most of my trumpet career has been a disappointment to me.
However-
I have made the most improvement in the last 4 or 5 years...and an important piece of the puzzle fell into place just recently. It was well worth the wait.

I love this pile of brass tubing.

I will play it until I die.

Keep trying.

Bill Cryderman
sandtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't make it easier by trying harder.
Al Guraliuk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Give it up Reply with quote

My advice- Just give up trying to play double high C ( in 4 years or less)
As an adult you should be able to shift your goals to more mature objective.

Play to have fun and move people with beautiful music. For now forget the friggin high notes ( with proper practice and time they will come)
Bb Yamaha Flugelhorn:
Schilke P5-4 Piccolo Trumpet
Besson Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha Eb/D Trumpet
Bach Strad C Trumpet
Benge Bb Pocket Trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: