• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting stuck Wedge and Warburton tops and backbores apart

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already suggested this to a few, but if there were a partially drilled hole in each part, machinist's C spanners could resolve this problem readily. But gosh, if I play a mpc today, tonight it gets a bath ... just like me. I don't presently have any two piece mpcs, but would separate them if I did. I totally dry mpcs with a surplus hairdryer. Just a drop of valve oil on the thread of a two piece shouldn't be a problem since it would be cleaned after each use and new oil applied.

Actually, my whole horn gets a bath this regularly and put away ... but not in a carrying case. --- Ed Lee
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Getting stuck Reply with quote

Hello all,
Nice photos Dr. Dave!!! I just usually take a rawhide mallet and whack the rim, squarely, a couple of times. The top has always come off. But this works for my Warburton/Warburton pieces. Maybe the Wedge/Warburton has bad Karma
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting stuck Wedge and Warburton tops and backbores apa Reply with quote

DrDave wrote:
Hi,

I get questions about how to separate backbore lower shanks from upper backbores components, and tops from backbores, so I thought it might be helpful to post some info on how to do it with duct tape. There are other ways to do this, but this way will remove even stubborn tops, uses no tools, and cannot damage the mouthpiece. I keep a roll of tape in the woodshed for this.

Wow, but I can't see this working well. Duct tape is slippery and can tear very easliy. Rubber jar grips work great. If not, liquid wrench and the grips also work after a few rubber mallet whacks. I have many 2 piece mpcs and they have never gotten stuck. Also, shows you that you shouldn't combine brands, even if they have the same threads. They may not work.
DrDave
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats! Ok, I confess. You got me.

First, Wedge tops and Warburton backbores should not be used together. Please, if you buy a Wedge top, even if you have a drawer full of Warburton backbores, you really should also buy a Wedge backbore or two.

My original plan in starting this thread was to show a way that does not work very well. Then when players were unable to separate them I would tell them that the top and backbore were permanently fused and that they should discard them both and buy a replacement top and Wedge backbore from me. Actually, I have never really tried to get a top and backbore separated with duct tape.

I am so embarrassed.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are a bunch of wimps!!! There is little on this planet that cannot be seperated with a pair of Vise Grips..............
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a fun thread.
Paul.Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrap the cuff of an industrial rubber glove around the shank, another around the cup, it always gives enough grip....except....

The one time I resorted to violence was when buying an Ebay special that had corroded together. Nothing moved it, not shock, heat or penetrating oil.
This only happened because they were silver plated parts. Damn, I forgot to try an ultrasonic acid bath.....
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like resurrecting old threads, but this works wonderfully!
mograph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy just gave me an old Warburton that was stuck, and sure enough, Trumpet Herald to the rescue!
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: