• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Capri question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Getzen Capri question Reply with quote

The only reviews I have read about Getzen Capri cornet stated that the owners love it.
But those reviews might have been written by High School students who had never played any other cornets.

Anyone want to offer additional opinions of them, either pro or con?
Is a Getzen 500 series Capri cornet really better quality and sound than a Getzen 300 series cornet?
(Ignoring the 1st slide trigger, which I have no use for anyway)

- Morris
"the world's best no-talent trumpet player"
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Getzen Capri Reply with quote

Early on with Getzen [early sixties] the Capri was virtually the same as the Eterna with different top and bottom valve caps and less hand lapping on the slides. The Capri cornet was a shepards crook design and patterned after the good British horns. Getzen had a huge market in England then as well as most other European countries. I would guess they still do. I still have a beautiful Capri cornet which gets played everyday in my practice routine. I don't follow the current Getzen line up of horns very closely but I do think those horns are still in the line-up. Some very fine orchestral players used the Capri C trumpet in their orchestras at that time as well. Good horns, and I sure think they should be considered. I cannot speak much of the 300 series as I haven't played on any of them.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns
"Live In The Studio" by the Tony Scodwell Big Band now at CD Baby
Coming from Hal Leonard, "Big Band Classics featuring Tony Scodwell"
kanemania
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a high school student, and although my main horn is a trumpet (Schilke), I've played a bunch of different cornets over the years.

A couple of years ago, I went down to Dillon's specifically to find a cornet to play in a 20's-style jazz band that I'd joined. Money was no object (I'd been saving for a while), so I played every one they had, new and used. The winner, far and away, was a fairly recent Capri that they'd stripped down to raw brass. Flawless mechanicals. Wonderful sound. And just $300.

As always, you've got to make the call on a horn-by-horn basis. But this one is a jewel.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good cornet in the similar price range is Yamaha YCR-2330II.
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments about the Getzen Capri cornet.
I am in contact with someone who is selling one I can afford
(miracles *do* happen) and I am seriously considering buying it.

It would become my only instrument,
acting as my cornet with a deep mouthpiece
and acting as my trumpet with a shallow mouthpiece.

- Morris
dwindham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Getzen 590 Capri I picked up from a local Brook Mays when it closed. I picked up for just around $100.

It's what I've got my 9yr old starting on to learn playing. The cornet is easier for him to hold and it has the great getzen valves. He'll be using it till he gets a little bigger then I'll move him to a trumpet.

I wouldn't mind playing on it but for cornet gigs I use my 1960s Holton Revelation cornet that is not a fair comparison.

Still a great little horn for the right price.

1939 Holton Revelation Model 45
1985 Bach 37 Strad
1984 Yamaha 6335S
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwindham wrote:
I've got a Getzen 590 Capri I picked up from a local Brook Mays when it closed. I picked up for just around $100.

It's what I've got my 9yr old starting on to learn playing. The cornet is easier for him to hold and it has the great getzen valves. He'll be using it till he gets a little bigger then I'll move him to a trumpet.

I wouldn't mind playing on it but for cornet gigs I use my 1960s Holton Revelation cornet that is not a fair comparison.

Still a great little horn for the right price.

Your post gives me the impression that the Getzen Capri is not much more than a student-level Gertzen 300 cornet with a first-slide trigger added,
which was what I was wanting to find out.

So now I am still confused.
I keep getting contradictory info.
Some people says that it is just a student-level cornet (appropriate for a 9 year old kid),
but others say that it is a semi-professional cornet good enough for some professional gigs.

I have no way of trying it out before I buy,
and I cannot return it after I buy.
I don't know what to do.

Oy.

- Morris
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try it out before buying? This would give you at least some idea what it is.
dwindham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not to confuse ya but in my experience with "intermediate" horns they are just more flash and might play a bit better than student level but are not pro horns.

I have both the 590 capri and my old Bach TR200 from my high school days.

Both play fine but I don't regularly use either of em.

I much prefer the Yamaha 6335 I have to it but have kept it around for sentimental reasons and for a marching horn for my son.

A good pro cornet shouldn't be a hard find as they tend to not be in demand or bring as high a price as their trumpet counterpart.

I got the capri for the great getzen valves and cause of the price. I also got to play it before we bought it.

I also had a Conn 6B at one point and sold it but will probably wish I had it back at some point but it was a pro horn all the way.

Check out your local craigslist site and see what you can find there.

I got my Yamaha 6335 from mine for only $150

1985 Bach 37 Strad
1984 Yamaha 6335S
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwindham wrote:
Well not to confuse ya but in my experience with "intermediate" horns they are just more flash and might play a bit better than student level but are not pro horns.

That is right. There may be exceptions, but generally an intermediate horn is just a few whistles up from the student horn. The price reflects well what the horn is.
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
dwindham wrote:

That is right. There may be exceptions, but generally an intermediate horn is just a few whistles up from the student horn. The price reflects well what the horn is.

Both of you are making comments about "intermediate" cornets in "general".
I was asking about the Getzen Capri specifically.
I keep getting contradictory info about them.
I can get it at a great price.
I can't try it out before buying it.
If I can't get a definitive answer about their quality, then I guess I should play it safe and not get it.

- Morris
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, STEAL on a Yammie 6335 for $150! I've got a Getzen 300 cornet that's a heckuva player.
dwindham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of you are making comments about "intermediate" cornets in "general".
I was asking about the Getzen Capri specifically.
I keep getting contradictory info about them.
I can get it at a great price.
I can't try it out before buying it.
If I can't get a definitive answer about their quality, then I guess I should play it safe and not get it.

- Morris[/quote]

While mine were in general I have direct experience with both an intermediate cornet and an intermediate trumpet and I agree with general masses here that the intermediate horns are not worth paying any extra for.

If your getting it a good price then its not a bad horn but I wouldn't compare it to a pro level horn.

1985 Bach 37 Strad
1984 Yamaha 6335S
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is based on the experience of trying out several new intermediate cornets by well known manufacturers, including two 782S cornets by Getzen. I cannot say whether the 782S is above or below the Capri model, as I have not tried the Capri.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't some professionals play on professional instruments?

Best wishes,

Lloyd
238 Mt. Vernon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pros could make a garden hose sound good!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:
Why don't some professionals play on professional instruments?

1) Superior ability and experience?
2) Performance/cost ratio?
3) In Charlie Parker's case, the horns he played were often not even his own, but the ones he had borrowed (granted, these were alto saxophones, but the idea is the same).
kn7000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Capri question Reply with quote

Conn6B wrote:
The only reviews I have read about Getzen Capri cornet stated that the owners love it.
But those reviews might have been written by High School students who had never played any other cornets.

Anyone want to offer additional opinions of them, either pro or con?
Is a Getzen 500 series Capri cornet really better quality and sound than a Getzen 300 series cornet?
(Ignoring the 1st slide trigger, which I have no use for anyway)

- Morris
"the world's best no-talent trumpet player"

I just joined this forum, and this is my first post. I have a Getzen Capri cornet that I picked up several years ago. A friend found it at a yard sale and bought it for $15 to donate as a fundraiser, to an organization to which we both belong. I purchased it for $75 at the fundraiser, and spent $150 to have it partially restored, including the bashed-in bell that had been crushed over the edge of a table. Prior to acquiring the cornet, I had played a Bach Stradivarious for many, many years. Now I play the cornet exclusively and LOVE it! And, I've just ordered a Getzen 4-valve Eterna, which I expect to enjoy equally as much. Isn't playing brasswinds great?
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Brass-winds Great! Reply with quote

Welcome to TH, kn7000! Good to know that you enjoy your Getzen Capri cornet. I will be interested in what you think about your 4-valve Eterna after you have time to acquaint yourself with it. One of my Bb trumpets is a 1972 Getzen Eterna Severinsen, which I enjoy very much.
Jim
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Getzen Capri cornet made around 1972. I've played for over 60 years now, and have played any number of professional cornets. My Capri is the equal of any horn I've ever played. The valves are superb, intonation and response are excellent. Many of my fellow players think the Capri I own is the easiest playing cornet they've ever played. I( don't think you can go wrong.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Michael
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: