• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bell's Palsy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Bell's Palsy Reply with quote

Well, I've got Bell's Palsy. Fortunately for me I had a feeling that's what was coming on, and even though I was taken to the hospital because somebody else thought it might be a stroke, the CT scan shows that my brain is perfect (!!!) but the litany of questions the doctor asked confirmed my suspicion. He told me that since we caught it about 24 hours after the first symptoms showed up that my chances for a full recovery are greatly improved.

I called a few people, including Dave Sheetz, and since I was out-of-town and staying in a place that had no wi-fi, I couldn't use my laptop to look up Bell's Palsy and see what to do, so I'm glad that my friend insisted on calling 911.

Since I've gotten home, I have read Chase Sanborn's page about this, and also Ron Turner's as well as many sites that have educated me (somewhat) about this condition. Doc Reinhardt told me about it 30 years ago; I never dreamed it could happen to me, but I'm glad I knew what to look for.

I'm not cancelling gigs too far into the future at this point (Ron Turner's story is more comforting than Chase's, I must say!), but I couldn't play on Saturday night, and had to cancel a recording session today where I was going to be the brass section (trumpet and trombone parts, I *love* doing that). I'm going to go ahead and cancel one week at a time, and it sure pains me to do that..

Just wondering if any of you have any words of comfort you might be able to share with me. I am, admittedly, freaked out by not being able to play (not even my bass trumpet), and scared to death of how long this might take to blow over . . . and also scared that I might be one of those less than 1% who never fully recover.

Thanks, everybody.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Mirafone (late 70's early 80's) when Tommy Johnson had the same affliction. He came in (we were not buddies; met him that one time; wonderfully nice man) and though serious he was not glum. He talked about playing while using his index finger to push his chops on one side to where they needed to be.

A friend in town, not a musician, has bells. He's gotten better. So much so that you'd never know he had it.

All is not lost.
mcgowanm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try Gary Null in New York www.garynull.com www.prncomm.net

He says he as reversed Bell's Palsy in a week with a natural approach.

You can call his free certified nutritionist Pat Duncanson at 212.874.4000
Dr. Stu
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Were you started on oral prednisone and/or antivirals (Valtrex/Acyclovir)? You should probably have a Lyme titer checked (blood test).

I can count on one hand the number of people I have personally seen in over 20 years in Medicine who developed a Bell's palsy that did not have a clinically complete recovery. (That is to say that there may have been some measurable minimal deficit identifiable on electrodiagnostic testing, but it was of no real-life significance.)

Most cases are typified by the case of an old friend of mine who had a severe facial droop, could not close one eye, and was completely freaked-out. Within about a week or so she "thought things might be getting better a little" (the eye-closing came back in less than a week), by 3 weeks she was about 85% better, and as I remember, she had a full recovery by about 6-8 weeks. Most people follow a course roughly approximating that. YMMV, but the overwhelming likelihood is that you will have a full recovery.

I would not even attempt to play at all while the nerve is still inflamed & during the early recovery phase- you should discuss this with your physician (a neurologist will know more about this than a generalist). Your muscles will not atrophy in the short time it will probably take the nerve to regenerate & regain it's function. I am not an expert on when to start playing/exercising the facial muscles again, but there is a time that is too-soon (again, discuss with your doctor). I think that it is important to work on fingering exercises & keep your brain-finger connections firing, though.

I'm sure you will keep us informed of your progress.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

-Stu
thomasmarriott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that saxophonist Jeff Clayton had this about ten years ago and it lasted a while for him. He got by playing with something that looked like a neoprene strap with a hole where his mouth was. I think the idea was that he put this thing around his face and the opening allowed him to play by supporting the weak side of his face. I doubt this would work for a trumpet embrochure, but you never know. I would think that a doc's advice would be the most practical though. Good luck with this - I hope you make a full recovery.
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Rich, I hate to hear that man.....

You've done more reading about this than I have I'm sure, but from what I can find, the recovery rate is extremely high. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Mike
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer Rich, my prayers and wishes for a fast and complete recovery!

Take care,
Don
boosh11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I'm sorry to hear about your Bell's Palsy. I myself have had 2 bouts with Bell's Palsy. Your in good company Ray Crisara, Chase Sanborn and I think Doc have all had it. My best advice it to get away from the horn and stay away for a while. You might have to pratice little more depending on your recovery but it was quite possible to make a full recovery. Becareful listening to your neurologist my first one told me I would never play again. Now I am audition for several DMA programs. I wish you the best of luck, be patient and have faith and it will all work out.

All the best,

Brett
LaBestia
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Sorry to hear about this, but there is no one that can deal with bad situation and come out better at the end than you!

Rich, the great player, Bob Maccoy(sp?) suffered with Bells Palsy. My understanding is that he developed isometric exercises to help him overcome the disease. He used these execises with all students. He is in Massachusetts now......perhaps Trent may have his contact information.

Another gentleman, last name Findley, gave a lecture at the New York Brass Conferance a couple of years ago. He overcame his Bells Palsy using natural healing methods. His brother does post here.....perhaps he could have some contact information as well.

Perhaps Jean Pocious might have some ideas for you.....check with Nick Mondello for her information.

My prayers are with you for a fast recovery.

Oscar
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob McCoy ... and yes I heard he had a battle with Bells Palsy.

Doc had a battle with it as well a number of years ago. Hopefully someone reading will be able to elaborate, but I heard Doc had called a number of people, including Ray Crisara & Scott Laskey for advice on what to do with the chops while recovering. 'I think' Doc was given some advice from one of those guys about buzzing on a tuba mpc to keep the muscle memory thing happening.

I might be wrong, and if so, I'll stand corrected, but try giving one of those guys a call to see if they have advice. All the best, and a speedie recovery!
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

I'm sorry man. If it makes you feel any better, I have a a few trumpet playing friends who had Bell's Palsy, and they can all play better than ever now and you would never even know they had it if you saw them. These things can happen, and from what you described, it sounds like the 1% who don't recover are probably very extreme cases. And, from what you described of your situation, it seems a bit more benign to me. Especially considering that you got on it right away, that was very smart to do. Because of your good intuition, I think you'll recover just fine.

You're an absolutely wonderful brass player and musician, and reading your posts has always educated me and often inspired me to be a better person and player. I will keep you in my prayers and I really see a good recovery for you down the road.

-Josh
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, we have some of the greatest people in the world on this board. You should see the PMs I've gotten in addition to the outpouring of compassion in the posts in this thread.

You folks will never know how much I appreciate your words of encouragement and kindness.

I went to see my primary care physician at the VA hospital here in Asheville today (you know, that whole "second opinion" thing), and she was also very encouraging. I am taking a regimen of Zovirax and Prednisone, and have been given several massage/stretching techniques. I am totally confident that I will come through this with flying colors.

Thank you everybody!
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

I hope you get better fast and are blessed with a complete recovery.

Mike McGovern
www.newyorkbrass.com
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your hyper-awareness of your face, you probably got it diagnosed and treated several days before someone else might have. I would expect your recovery to be considerably faster than average.

Look at the bright side... enjoy your vacation from the horn, and consider it to be one more learning experience.
PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I wish I could help you with your problem! I certainly wish you all the best in your recovery. I might suggest that you look into possible low-grade food allergies (gluten, dairy, etc) and also make sure you are not deficient in any vitamins (including omega-3). I have no idea if those ideas will help or not, but those changes can sometimes have a profound effect on other areas of the body.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Rich
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Bells Palsey Reply with quote

Rich,
Sorry to hear about your difficulty. I don't recall if you were in Tampa when Marcus Hampton developed the same disease, but I made an appendage for his mouthpiece, a spatula-like piece fasioned from a silver dollar, which applied some pressure to the weak side of his embouchure to support it and he was able to play again. He rcovered pretty well alghough he did lose some range.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I am so sorry to hear about this. Please know that all of us online are pulling for you. Please keep us updated in your rehab.

I know that if I couldn't play trumpet anymore I'd grab a guitar and start shedding big time. I think Chase mentioned that if he had another extended time away from the trumpet he would write more, and play piano.

Hoping you'll stay musically turbocharged in this time.

Best,

T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Roy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Prayers and best wishes for a complete recovery !!

Roy Griffin
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my good friends who plays woodwinds suffered this a few years back. It took several months until he began to improve but in time his playing fully recovered and now you'd never know he had it if he didn't tell you.

While he was afflicted I bought him a second-hand electronic wind instrument, a sax shaped synthesizer that didn't require a fully functional embochure. He used it fairly successfully for several amature musical theater performances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: