• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bell's Palsy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, how you doing man?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my wife said I looked better this morning (less "droop") and when I awoke I could tell it felt different. I was able to whistle for the first time today, but still can't really get anything close to a buzz going. But I would say that it has "peaked" and I'm headed back to normalcy now.

It's been one week since the early symptoms (that I didn't recognize at the time) occurred. I've been staying positive and very busy. I'm working on my Trumpeter's Guide to Minor II-V-I's book and have made great progress on that this week. It'll be a "companion" volume to my Trumpeter's Guide to II-V-I's book which I'll now have to retitle to include the word "Major."

The last thing I'll need to do to finish this project is go to Collapseable Studios here in Asheville and lay down the Play Along with Rich tracks, and I'm thinking that might not be all that far off.

I appreciate you asking, Mike. And, again, I appreciate all those who posted, PM'ed, emailed or called to express their encouragement and support. This is not the first time in my life I've been unable to play for one reason or another, and I realize how much I miss it when I'm involuntarily separated from playing!

Thanks, everybody!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that's great Rich! Now take it easy, come back safely, so you have time to finish that book...

Awesome news - Don
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich, you're gonna be just fine...I did a Wiki on Bell's, and It's not as bad as I thought it was... so I proclaim your condition to be just a temporary bump in the road. ( I submitted a prayer for ya to the big guy upstairs).
Who knows? like Doc said, after an illness or a layoff of the horn, you might come back new as a type IV!!. Then, you would be a Zen Master, as you would play every type Doc described!!!! ( I always try to find the silver lining in any situation).
Hang in there, baby.. keep us posted on developments. Chase did that a few years ago, and it was quite an interesting diary..... it kept me from fearing anything that could mess with your chops. With Doc's teachings, you will work out of it quickly, and be stronger for it.

Bobby List
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the first trumpet of RLPO has suffered from a number of attacks throughout his career. It used to take him a while to come back to form but the last time it hit he decided not to rush things, by doing this he returned back quicker!
He is, in my humble opinion, one of the worlds finest orchestral players and he plays as well now as he always has. Don't stress about it, use the time to relax and change focus, then when you come back it'll still be fresh and less stressfull.
Good luck and God bless
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's it coming, Rich?

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doin' really well. Able to do a lot more now . . . on my way back. Looks like this'll be one of those two-week'ers. Glad I got help quick!

Thanks Scott, and everybody else who's been writing and calling (you know who you are). I really appreciate it!
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Doin' really well. Able to do a lot more now . . . on my way back. Looks like this'll be one of those two-week'ers. Glad I got help quick!

Thanks Scott, and everybody else who's been writing and calling (you know who you are). I really appreciate it!

Glad to hear it. And given that you do the Reinhardt approach, it won't take that long to get up to full strength.

Keep us posted!

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/
hvand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a witness that Rich can teach well with one lip tied behind his back. I had a very fruitful lesson on Saturday. Despite the fact that he couldn't demonstrate many of the exercises, I learned a great deal.

I'd strongly encourage anyone who has improved with the books to see a Reinhardt protegee. The "pivot" part of the "Pivot System" didn't really make sense until Rich explained it to me. His teaching has added a whole new dimension to these exercises.

For those of you keeping score at home, I'm a IIIb.

Here's to a speedy recovery ... it looks like you are well on your way.

Hank
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Rich! Keep on keepin' on and best of luck in your speedy recovery.

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hvand wrote:
I'm a witness that Rich can teach well with one lip tied behind his back. I had a very fruitful lesson on Saturday. Despite the fact that he couldn't demonstrate many of the exercises, I learned a great deal.

I'd strongly encourage anyone who has improved with the books to see a Reinhardt protegee. The "pivot" part of the "Pivot System" didn't really make sense until Rich explained it to me. His teaching has added a whole new dimension to these exercises.

For those of you keeping score at home, I'm a IIIb.

Here's to a speedy recovery ... it looks like you are well on your way.

Hank

Well, it was two weeks today that the dreaded Bell's Palsy showed up (even though I was having trouble playing the night before and that's probably when it first started creeping in), and the great news is that it's almost completely gone.

The past two days I've been playing some bass trumpet (a couple notes at a time first, then a measure at a time, and today two and four measures at a time.

I'm able to buzz my lips (trombone-register buzzing but still the way Doc taught me) and hold up the pencil for longer and longer periods (20 to 30 seconds).

This thing kinda formatted my lip & face muscles' hard drive, and they don't remember what it ever felt like to play an instrument before. It's wild, but the retraining is akin to having to start at a true ground zero.

I'm hoping that I'm able to build back up minus that one IIIB trait that holds so many of us back: in the practice room I don't want to fall in love with my sound. Hey, I know it's a good sound, so I'll save the love affair for the gig and get busy doing some building in the practice room.

All in all, this has turned out to be quite the opportunity to learn, reflect and appreciate. At first I was incredibly bummed to have to cancel a couple gigs, but once I got my mind right, so to speak, it became (in retrospect) a blessing.

And it's been a week since I saw you, Hank . . . I'm hoping that you're seeing improvements using the materials you left here with last week. When you first start with that stuff you really can't help but improve, but you might not notice it in the practice room at first as much as you'll notice it on the gig. Keep the faith!
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news, Rich, and so great to hear! - Don
PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Fantastic news, Rich, and so great to hear! - Don

Yes Rich, great news indeed. Good luck with everything and please keep us posted!

Rich
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good news. In the past 3 days I've played 4 gigs, all on bass trumpet. I played a little trumpet, too . . . very little. My range on trumpet only goes to D or E right above our tuning note C, but I'm able to get a good, "normal" sound.

Last night I played third trombone parts with the Asheville Jazz Orchestra. It's been a long time since I sat in the trombone section. All it really does is make me want to move back a row and sit with the "real men" in the trumpet section.

Think about it: after losing virtually all muscle control in my chops, three weeks later I can play a trombone-like instrument fairly well. But the trumpet is far more difficult to regain a level of proficiency. That tells me that you've gotta have much more on the ball to play a trumpet than a trombone. (Take THAT, trombonists!)

P.S. Today is the first time in over three weeks I've been able to buzz a trumpet tuning note C!
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes -- go Rich!!!

Gotta' say your attitude through this is quite an inspiration.

Onwards! - Don
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Rich

I wasn't following this thread. Paul Garrett came up for the weekend from Atlanta & told me about what you've been dealing with. Just wanting to wish you a speedy (continued) recovery.

Rusty Russell
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates Rich.... I was wondering how you were doing. Keep fightin!
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
akto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich

I can't believe I'm finding out about this just now! My best wishes are with you for a speedy recovery.

"The possible's slow fuse is lit by the imagination" - Emily Dickinson

"Genius grant please" - Stephen Colbert
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don, Bob, Rich H., Andy, Trent, Rusty, Chris, Hank, Scott, et al!

I'm playing trumpet today (yesterday, too), and while my range certainly isn't back, I'm doing pretty good up to about A right above the staff.

Chris, I think you're absolutely right (well, you and Wikipedia), and I'm mighty grateful to be in that group who comes back without too terribly much difficulty. I'm so glad I'm a Reinhardt student! I know how to come back from a layoff, and now I know how to come back from having zero embouchure muscle control.

My wife and I are going to celebrate in a couple days . . . we're going out for steaks! (What kind of steak did Maynard have before he went on the Ed Sullivan show? I want two of those!)

Thanks again, everybody, looks like it's almost completely past!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: