• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bell's Palsy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think the lingering effects may have finally dissipated down to practically nothing. I'd say I'm 99% back to my normal level of inconsistency.

If you look at my signature below you'll see one of the "fruits" of my time off. Part of the reason that took so long is that I wanted to make sure I was able to play well when I did the "play along with Rich" tracks. I think they came out pretty well, and it's interesting that the first book has my pre-Bell's Palsy playing and the second one has my first visit to the recording studio after Bell's Palsy.

Well, it's interesting to me.

Anyway, now I'm one of the guys to contact if you (hopefully never) discover you have Bell's Palsy. Talking to some people who have been through it was definitely helpful to me, and I really appreciate all the support I got during the worst of it. Thanks again, everybody!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Rich, and welcome back! Though it's quite obvious you never really left... - Don
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Rich, you sound great man. It's funny, listening to you made me think of something that I was discussing with another player a couple of nights ago....
I'm so sick of hearing trumpet players who think sloppiness is inherently a good thing, or soulful. Maybe it's a by-product of studying Reinhardt, but Rich's sound is in-tune, and the articulations are great, not sloppy. Anyway, playing clean is something I always strive for. I wish more people these days did as well. Ok, rant over.
Sounds great Rich! You da man!
Z4ME

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Glad to hear you are doing well. That last 1% will come in time and you might just find that you end up at 105%! You are now a member of our Bells Palsy surviovors club. There are some important do's and don'ts for brass players with PB and that includes players expectations along with getting early medical treatment. I hope you give consideration to writing a section about your BP experiance on your website or in one of your books.

All the best,

Darryl Jones
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading this again for the first time in years, literally.

That lingering 1% that was being discussed in the last few posts is still skulking around in the shadows. Every once in awhile I wake up with my right eye feeling that tell-tale way, and I have this trace of what I call a Bell's Palsy blob in my lip. Sometimes warming up doesn't happen easily because of that strange little Bell's blob, other times it doesn't show up until I've been playing a little while. Not often, but sometimes.

At ITG 2012 I met a doctor named Richard Cox who was following up on Bell's Palsy "survivors" and he has found that there definitely is some long-term healing that needs to take place. He gave me a sorta P.E.T.E. like device for Bell's patients who play trumpet. I have done his exercises on and off for over a year, and can still tell that there are lingering effects that are only dwindling slowly.

Anyway, between an email I got earlier tonight and a post in the Fundamentals Forum I decided to go looking for this post to see if it might be helpful to present-day Bell's Palsy patients.
revmklyons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert, but I know that any playing you do too soon is not going to be good for you. Of course you know that too! I pray for your speedy recovery. You're the best!
Keith
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase Sanborn posted a youtube video regarding his experience with and recovery from Bells Palsy and it got me thinking about my experience with it.

I just reread this whole thing and it brought back lots of memories.

While I would not wish this on anybody, it does happen from time to time, and reading about other trumpet players' experience can be beneficial to them as it was to me.

Today I play trumpet (flugelhorn/cornet), bass trumpet, E♭ alto horn (also called tenor horn) and tuba for just short of three years, and experience none of the symptoms associated with Bells Palsy that I used to. There is light at the end of the tunnel, I'm happy to say!

And just a reminder . . . here's a link to the best thing that came out of that period for me.

On a different note, I see that Wallace Roney just died from Covid 19 complications. Man, that really sucks! R.I.P. Wallace . . . .
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your full and long term recovery, Rich!

What a blow to lose the great Wallace Roney. RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: