• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Become a Trumpet Player BEFORE a Jazz Player?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am beginning to think that perhaps I have tried to tackle too much in my endeavour to be a trumpet player AND a jazz musician. When I first started playing the trumpet a pro player told me that I should first learn to become a trumpet player before I embarked on my journey to try and improvise. I saw the value in it then but I see it even more now.

For those of you who do not know - I've been playing for 2 years now (not a comeback player). There are many jazz related studies that I cannot practice or benefit from because I lack mastery of my instrument. Example - I can't play some modes because I simply don't have the range. Instead of focusing on the sound of scale or exercise, I'm struggling or focusing on just getting sound out because the notes leave the "safety" of the staff. Same applies to some transposition - it's too high (I usually just end up transposing the heads or harmonies to songs instead of the solos). Now I can definitely see where the pro player was coming from when he told me to become a trumpet player before moving to jazz.

That being said - I know for a fact that if I stick to playing legit etudes and music I'm going to get bored. I picked the trumpet up to play JAZZ. I have an tremendous appreciation for legit music and I don't mind playing it for church and the community band - but my focus was (and still is) to learn improvisation. How did many of you approach it? Did you learn the trumpet first or did you do both at the same time? Do I need to change my mind set in order to keep things interesting or are there things I can do (or books I can buy) to keep things interesting while I learn to become a trumpet player?

As usual - I asked my teacher already but as always - additional opinions and suggestions are always welcome...

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2003-04-14 10:00 ]
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you get caught up in learning about what being a jazz player is, you should be able to play the instrument reasonably well. I personally approached them at the same time. When I started, I was able to play the trumpet very well technically naturally (though I didn't really have an understanding of it) so it made it a little easier for me to jump right into jazz playing. If you feel you can do both at the same time by all means go for it. You should have your playing down pretty well though, but once you do (if you don't already), keep practicing jazz music and keep playing it (and keep doing classical too )...

As for approaching improvisation...Here is a problem too many people have: They think about it. Too many people look at improvisation with a scientific or analytical mentality when they're just starting out. Who made the rule you had to do that right away? If you're just getting into it, get used to doing it. Who cares if you do some things wrong. When I first started I couldn't even keep my ideas on beat because they came out so quickly that I had to slow down. Then as I started to control my mind and my instrument more I got it and now I can play almost anything no matter how fast it is and not get off beat. When you master improvisation, then you can start getting analytical...and start thinking from that perspective. But until then why worry? Just have fun and get your feet wet, and you will progress more than if you try to get too intellectual. That's the problem with jazzers sometimes. They get too intellectual, so much in fact that they get boring. So overall I'd say if you're prepared, learn the technique and improvise too.
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been chasing the jazz dream for a while. My practice these days is slanted towards being a better trumpet player who plays jazz. I center my studies and a great deal of practice time in the Maggio Book. I try and find complimentary exercises in the Arbans and St Jacomes. That done, I spend time in the Chord Studies for Trumpet by Kotiwica and Viola and then play tunes it is a slow process but I am progressing in both areas. My goal is to have the choice in the music I play and that calls for me to be a strong trumpet player first.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xman,

I think we've created a new word here. If you're not a comeback player then that makes you a neverleft player.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I think these guys are right on, you gotta work on your technical skills and jazz alike, you have to find a balance. Case in point, Clifford Brown loved to play classical music, and practiced his techique for hours a day while incorporating it into his jazz. I also think starting out with jazz and improv can be beneficial in the long run because sometimes players who only practice their classical skills for their first years get to where technique and written music is a crutch. My advice would be to balance both. Just my two cents Good luck.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-14 12:44, Jarrett Ellis wrote:
Case in point, Clifford Brown loved to play classical music, and practiced his techique for hours a day while incorporating it into his jazz.

I haven't seen anything to document that Brownie loved to play classical music...? AFAIK, the only tapes of him in informal sessions are the lesson tape that was documented in the ITG journal last year and the cup-mute tape where he's shedding Cherokee for 10-15 minutes.

Unless you're talking about lessons in high school? But by then he was already working on chord changes and arranging.

- jeff
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-30 15:21 ]
tims9999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar boat not too long ago. I wanted just to play fun music, not scales, etudes, arpeggios, ect.. What I do now is spend 80% of my time doing drills that will improve certain areas of my playing (may it be articulative studies or slurs - the list goes on.) After I have done the work, I reward myself AND apply what I have learned by playing music that I would call "fun." Like it has been said in other forum posts, when playing drills, play them like they are from composers you like. Maybe not go as far as swinging the etudes, but see the purpose of them.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps try some easier jazz material like "Rhythms Complete" by Bugs Bower or some of the Niehaus stuff before jumping headlong into an intensive improv course.
That with some fundamental Clarke, Arbans and St. Jacome and you should be playing those Clifford solos in, oh, 15 or 20 years.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I hope no one here thinks that I am foolish enough to think I will become some great jazz musician in a year or two (or 3 or 4 or 5...). The two years that I've put in have shown me that it takes hard work, patience and a love for music.

Fortuantely - I have all of those qualities. I'm in this for the long haul.

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2003-04-14 22:32 ]
Kateeba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience Grasshopper! Patience, and more patience.

It will come, but do NOT give up on improvising.

I realize you have trumpet troubles getting those notes out, and you should do all the embouchure studies you can to work on that, but don't neglect your improvising. Always find some time to devote to "playing" with your horn and have fun with it. Experiment, try things, if you can't go upstairs yet, play downstairs. My approach is to work on the embouchure studies to be "able" to play, then you have to apply that is some way (and that, in itself, is practice), either to reading or improvisation or both. Embouchure studies by themselves are NOT really playing music. At least not the music I know you want to play. Do what you can at your level. You are doing great for 2 years. I hear your stuff. But there is always that tendency to want to do it "today". We can't always do that, and it causes frequent frustrations.

On my second or third trumpet lesson (many many years ago) with my first and only teacher, I asked him if it was possible to "play whatever you think". He said "Oh that takes a long time". From then on, that was my goal, to be able to improvise at will.

After awhile, you will learn to integrate your embouchure studies into the improvisation so that you can do it with more fun. It takes time and patience though.

Hang in there kid............... Lou
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
Find the positive aspects in having limited technique. Alot of people who have command of their horn before aproaching improvisation let technique get in their way of making music and creating a meaningful solo. They will fall back on their be-bopish runs and licks that make no sense at all. You on the other hand can't do that, your mind will have to work to further devolop your ideas without nonsense. You are in a great position to devolop.
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jeez.... now I gotta quote my sources , well I'm pretty sure It was an interview with his wife where I heard this... but I will go looking through my collection to make sure. I'll can most certainly quote the exact source later, but she said that he was very active in his classical studies throughout his career, I will give you a link to follow, but it isn't the exact quote I am thinking of, it just mentions his dabbling in classical music. The real source is forthcoming. Thanks!
http://www.cliffordbrown.net/quotes/larue.html
also, I'm not upset at all for your questioning my source I half expected someone to.
-J
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jazztrpt... found my source. Jazz Times, June 1980, entitled Clifford Brown. its an interview with Larue Brown Watson.
Larue " He also liked Rafael Mendez; during those days Rafael had a music book out, and Clifford would practice by the hour with that"
Also Downbeat July 1980
Harry Andrews: "I started him on the Prescott System, which is based on the Arban's Method [for cornet]."
"I also introduced him to the non-pressure system. He had been using a lot of pressure in putting his lips to the mouthpiece. I also rememeber that he had an excellenct embouchure. He put two- thirds of his lower lip into the mouthpiece."
"When he came to us, he was a good intermediate player. But he played the 'Carnival of Venice' as his graduation solo, and I mean he really played it. I can still remember him playing it"
kenwatters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenoman writes:
"are there things I can do (or books I can buy) to keep things interesting while I learn to become a trumpet player?"

Hi Xenoman / Eric!

Well, I can tell you this -- as long as you play trumpet & no matter how good you get at the actual "operation" of the instrument, the struggle to get what's in your head out the bell of the horn completely accurately will be everpresent. Learning to play the trumpet well is absolutely VITAL to becoming a good jazz player. It can be compared to visual arts in a big way -- artists have have great "drawing" skills to put what they really see in their heads onto the canvas. Having excellent technique is a means to an end when it comes to jazz...
One etude book that has stood the test of time & works EVERY aspect of playing is Arban (some call it the Bible for trumpeters). And, if you're worried about getting "bored" with classical-oriented studies, a book that you may want to get (a little further down the line) is Theo Charlier Etudes. The pieces contained in this book are SO beautiful & musical that you won't even NOTICE how technically demanding they are -- Charlier sort of "sneaks it up" on you within the etudes. This book is quite appealing to jazz players, simply because the music is so HIP regardless of the style. They ARE advanced-level studies, but well worth checking out when you're ready.
Take care!
Ken
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-15 03:19, Jarrett Ellis wrote:
Hey Jazztrpt... found my source. Jazz Times, June 1980, entitled Clifford Brown. its an interview with Larue Brown Watson.
Larue " He also liked Rafael Mendez; during those days Rafael had a music book out, and Clifford would practice by the hour with that"

Oddly enough, I've got that on my website at

http://www.shout.net/~jmh/articles/clifford5.html

and missed the reference to Mendez.

Quote:

Also Downbeat July 1980
Harry Andrews: "I started him on the Prescott System, which is based on the Arban's Method [for cornet]."
"I also introduced him to the non-pressure system. He had been using a lot of pressure in putting his lips to the mouthpiece. I also rememeber that he had an excellenct embouchure. He put two- thirds of his lower lip into the mouthpiece."
"When he came to us, he was a good intermediate player. But he played the 'Carnival of Venice' as his graduation solo, and I mean he really played it. I can still remember him playing it"

Yes, I knew about this, but remember, he's talking about Brownie in high school.

http://www.shout.net/~jmh/articles/clifford4.html

Also note that immediately preceding that quote, you are informed that Brownie's earlier lessons were with Robert Lowery, who wasn't working with him on classical music at all:

Quote:

"I didn't start him [Brown] in a book," said Lowery, who still lives and teaches in Wilmington. "I taught him how to hear. The most important thing is to be able to hear. I know lots of guys who've been to college, but they don't have what it takes to improvise. They can't hear. You've got to be able to hear things before you do them."

So early in the lessons Lowery started Brown practicing chord changes and listening to them on the piano. "'The Classes' give you the freedom to execute and develop a style," Lowery explained. "It gives you a chance to know what you want to do."

It also indicates that he was playing in a dance band before he started studying with Harry Andrews. So, in some ways, Clifford can be said to have been working on his jazz chops very early in his development...

Still, he was clearly a very balanced player...and on a 10.5C, too...!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-15 11:00, jazz_trpt wrote:

Still, he was clearly a very balanced player...and on a 10.5C, too...!

Regarding the Bach 10.5C mouthpieces, I know that there are big differences in these, depending on when and where they were made. The New York model of 10.5 that I have is a LOT larger than the Mt. Vernon version, for example. In fact they aren't even close to being the same mouthpieces. With the NY model I can easily see how Clifford could produce his big fat tone.
Larry Smithee
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry:

Yeah, but try it on a Blessing Artist trumpet! (blech)
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good point, I forgot about that.
Larry Smithee
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazztrpt.. I believe you'd probably be hard pressed to find those particular sources online... I've got some old hard copies here... I can probably scan them if you'd like a good look, there's some real good articles! Also I don't debate that he was working on Jazz first , actually your right he first got started on listening before he even started playing anything classical. I think thats where he got such a great start... not to mention being a genius. But who am I to try and figure out his genius>
-J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: