• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet bath help!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you are not going to mess up a valve alignment with a bath. Second I normaly try not to get my felts or corks wet any ways. I simple remove them all. I use Purple Stuff,Castrol Super Clean, or Greased lightning. It is the same active ingredient as in Simple Green only much more concentrated. I just add about a 1-2 cups of the stuff to a bath tub with enough water to cover the trumpet. I put a towel in the tub to keep things from slideing and getting scratched. I scrub everyting with the standard set of brush's that come with every beginners cleaning kit. I always scrub the valve ports since the air is changeing directions their and solids fall out onto them. I also do my MP in this same solution. I stoped useing most dish soaps and other cleaning products because so many of them contain silicone. Silicone and valve oils do not play nice thisis the most often problem when people try a synthetic valve oil for the first time. Often silicone from either other valve oils or from their cleaning supplies cause's issues. anything ending in icone is a form of silicone. I also do not like sulfates because I am allergic to them and a lot of soaps have them as well. Most free and clear hypoallergenic laundry soaps do not contain either but they are not known for their cleaning power either but they are gentle. All soaps and detergents have antibacterial properties. The mechanical action of cleaning also destroys some germs and virus's this is why they do not just spray alchol on you at the Dr.'s office they rub it vigerously the mechanical action is part of the germ killing equation. The water should be warm not hot.

You know they make this red fluid called Sterisol just for killing germs on and in instruments. It is under $5 for an 8 once bottle of the stuff and it is super gentle it has no real cleaning power but is a good germicide.

If you used something less then ideal lets say you used your anti-bacterial dish washing liquid and it had silicones in it then it is not the end of the world. You would just be well advised to swap the inside of the valve caseing out with rubbing alchol and some lint free rags. A wooden spoon works well to push the rag soaked in rubbing alchol through the valve caseing. I have used lighter fluid before too to remove build up from the inside of the valve case then rinsed with warm water andlet it drie then oil! Most valve oils are not that picky because they are loaded with solvents labled petrolem distilates and these solvents are fairly good and geting past most things left behind by various cleaning products. Some of your higher end oils and almost all synthetics are devoid of these solvent or petrolem distilates and these have a much harder time working if their is anything in the way of build up from past products even if you can not see it with your naked eye!
snuffkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some waxes, I guess, but be careful not to scratch off the polishing. It's actually better to polish it every too weeks very carefully, than to clean all the filth every half a year.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the mess and time. I just send it out.

I used to clean it periodically. Once cleaned it out and gunk came out. Range dropped almost a fourth.

(File under "Do as I say, not as I do".)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! a thread resurrected after 10 years!

And Captian Kirk had the last word! If only Scorpion was on this thread as well.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but likely some pertinent information for some.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: