• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pedal Tones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frmrleadplyr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Pedal Tones Reply with quote

Obviously, a huge part of Stamp's routine involves a lot of pedal tones. I can get down to the C in the first warm up, but once i go below the F sharp (the last true note) all the notes are raspy, quiet, and have a harsh edge to them. I've incorporated the Stamp warmup into my playing since last September, and I recently bought the book. Do these notes develop over time, or should I just expect them to never really form into (true) notes?
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it time. It can take a while to train your embouchure for pedals. The same with playing over high C -- time and persistence is usually required to increase both sides of your range.

Sometimes it helps to play a note somewhere around the pedal E and bend your note up and down to increase flexibility in the pedal register.

Janet
Stan Lawton

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Stamp method for about two years now and one way to make the pedal tone sound truer is by not going for the note but rather loosening your set and smearing down to the pedal.

Hope this helps!

Stan
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it took me a while to get those once I found my set up. not long about two months I guess. I had to remember to keep a firm aperture tunnel around the note in the cup of my mouthpiece. I use warm air and that's it. There is a firmness that surrounds the note for me in my lips.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Pedal tones Reply with quote

Trust your instrument to follow you, and always provide it quality support.

Elsewhere on .th. you'll read about Sandoval shaking the stage with monstrous pedal tones. Can't imagine him being a white-knuckle driver, can you? Same thing with taking your axe for a walk.

Breakthrough advice? On a whim I took a group singing class. The teacher had us "think low" when singing high, and "think high" when singing low.

Imagine rattling windows with a big fat pedal F, support it like you're headed above the staff, then work your way down to C.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Janet: just keep working on it with a steady approach. It will come with time. It may sound like cr*p for awhile but that is not the point.

I would also caution against ANY change in your physical set-up to acquire the pedal tones. The point is to keep the approach the same throughout all registers of your playing. I believe any loosening of your set-up beyond what you would do in normal playing would tend to defeat this purpose. This is why the Stamp exercise move directly from Pedal to normal register. It's about flexibility!

I recall huge pedal C's coming from Mr. Stamp's bell with no visual change in his set-up from the other parts of the exercise he had just played.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: