• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What would turn a trumpet into a cornet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: What would turn a trumpet into a cornet? Reply with quote

As of now, a good pro quality Yamaha trumpet (such as a YTR-6335) costs almost as low as about 1/2 of the price of a good pro quality cornet (such as YCR-8335). In the 20th century the cornet and trumpet designs became closer and closer to each other. The differences are in the leadpipe and the wrap more than in anything else.

This brings a question: what would be needed to turn a YTR-6335 into a pro-level cornet without damaging the instrument?

Perhaps a Bob Reeves or GR cornet-to-trumpet mouthpiece adapter?
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Curry TC mouthpiece; they are quite amazing!

MvW.
Richabai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to buy a trumpet and get the flexibility of a cornet-ish sound, then a Curry TF or TC, or a similarly made mouthpiece (I have a Kanstul-made Monette FLT mp) or your adapter will probably do the trick.

But if you want a cornet, buy a cornet. You can buy a brand new Getzen 3850 (I'm getting to love mine) for about the same price as that Yamaha and I'm sure that there are lots of quality used instruments to be had for even less.

Just my $.02
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......fit a long straight tapered leadpipe at least 12 inches long......fit a cornet mpc to the leadpipe,...fit a cornet players lips to the mpc,...fit a cornet players mind to the lips.........job done.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something to be said for using the mouthpiece to handle the switcharoo in sound -- the blow should feel different on a cornet than on a trumpet, and I'd just as soon play one horn for everything.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
There's something to be said for using the mouthpiece to handle the switcharoo in sound -- the blow should feel different on a cornet than on a trumpet, and I'd just as soon play one horn for everything.

If a mouthpiece switch would do the trick without using an adapter, so much the better, as an adapter introduces one more step in the air column.

Interestingly, the Conn 48A cornet and 48B trumpet were mainly different in the receiver, according to the Conn Loyalist.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Interestingly, the Conn 48A cornet and 48B trumpet were mainly different in the receiver, according to the Conn Loyalist.

There were lots of differences. The 48A was a .467" bore, while the 48B was a .458". The 48A had a dual-bore tuning slide -- .458" on top, .467" on botttom, while the 48B had a straight-bore tuning slide. The proportions were subtly different -- the valve section on the 48A was farther forward than on the 48B. The 48A had a faster bell flare than the 48B.

In short, the 48A had a completely different bore profile than the 48B. They were certainly shaped very similarly and shared styling cues like the faceted valve casings and art-deco waterkeys, as well as the beadless "Vocabell," but I would characterize them as completely different instruments.

In your original post, I submit that you're comparing apples with last year's apples. A few minutes surfing suggests that a lacquer YCR-8335 costs about $450 more than a lacquer YTR-8335. A silver YCR-6330 is listed at $284 more than a silver YTR-6335. I don't see that the YCR-6330 is offered in any finish but silver, but a lacquer YTR-6335 is but $378 cheaper than the silver-finish cornet. I think it's only fair to compare the 6000-series trumpet to the 6000-series cornet and the 8000-series trumpet to the 8000-series cornet.

While I agree with your assertion that the trumpet and cornet have undergone evolutionary convergence, the largest remaining difference seems to be one you're unwilling to change: the leadpipe (since changing it would involve major surgery). Because a cornet mouthpiece shank is smaller than a trumpet mouthpiece shank, a cornet leadpipe can start with a smaller venturi and allow for more "conicality" before the tuning slide.

I don't agree with you on a more fundamental level: In my opinion, used cornets are cheaper than used trumpets of equivalent quality, so why obsess about how to turn trumpets into cornets?
damo_4701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: What would turn a trumpet into a cornet? Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
This brings a question: what would be needed to turn a YTR-6335 into a pro-level cornet without damaging the instrument?

A couple of weeks on ebay.......
Seriously, if you want a cornet sound....get a cornet.
53' LA Olds Ambassador cornet
64' Conn 22B victor
eclectic tastes
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of our TH members has done the reverse twice - created a trumpet from a cornet. Perhaps you could go the other direction? Here are links to his "projects".

An Earlier Project: Trumpet made from a Cornet!

Latest Project: Another trumpet made from a Cornet!

I guess that this method "damages" the instrument, though. Changes it significantly, at least.

-- Joe
lyndon153
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: get a cornet Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. I love my new Getzen 3850s as well.

I thought that by design the trumpet and cornet were different animals; with the trumpet as a cylindrical tubing and the corent with a conical shape. And that was the reason for the deeper sound and more harmonics from the cornet, and the sweeter sound from the trumpet ?

BTW, I love the way the my 3850 puts the "bite" into trumpet pieces. Some one is going to have to drag me away from it back to my Bach Strad. (Although, I do still play the Strad where I need to blend in more.)
But then, I'm just an amature player.

--Lyndon

Richabai wrote:
If you're looking to buy a trumpet and get the flexibility of a cornet-ish sound, then a Curry TF or TC, or a similarly made mouthpiece (I have a Kanstul-made Monette FLT mp) or your adapter will probably do the trick.

But if you want a cornet, buy a cornet. You can buy a brand new Getzen 3850 (I'm getting to love mine) for about the same price as that Yamaha and I'm sure that there are lots of quality used instruments to be had for even less.

Just my $.02

1995 Getzen Eterna 850S Bb cornet, .464" bore, MP:GR66#6, Wicks#4
1975 Bach Strad Model 37 ML Bb Trumpet, MP:GR66m
20?? Berkley Music C/Bb Pocket Trumpet, MP:Bach3c
1918 Henri Gautier "Virtuso" Bb cornet, MP:Bach 3c
======================
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: What would turn a trumpet into a cornet Reply with quote

What would turn a lawnmower into a hedgetrimmer?
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested above, just try a different mouthpiece. The Bach 5V or 5A will mellow the sound right out, or a Warburton BC top (in your choice of diameter) on a trumpet backbore will also do the job.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the trumpet and continue to use it as a trumpet.

Buy a cornet (used or new) and enjoy.

You can switch back and forth as your musical needs dictate.

Modifying your trumpet to resemble a cornet sound won't stop the "urge" to own a "real" cornet, nor will it be a "real" cornet in my opinion.

Folks here have given you good examples of cornets to try and buy should you decide to move in that direction.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What would turn a trumpet into a cornet? Reply with quote

damo_4701 wrote:
etc-etc wrote:

A couple of weeks on ebay.......
Seriously, if you want a cornet sound....get a cornet.

Ditto. You can get a Yamaha student cornet 2330 II for less than the cost of a Monette trumpet mp. The sound you will get is close to the higher priced cornets. I have had both and I now play a Getzen 3850. Yes, it's a better quality horn but the 2330 II is just as much "fun" to play.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longer leadpipe with more taper is a good place to start. Continueing that taper through the main tuneing slide would be another great way to go. Add a faster taper tothe throat of the trumpets bell and their you go! The steped bore Leadpipe I think is already made by M/K draeing I believe. They also would have a leadpipe thatis longer and has more taper to it. Add a deeper V style mouthpiece tot he mix and theiryou go! The slide is a no brainer if they make it direct swap. The leadpipe you will need to have installed if youc annot do it yourself. I would leave the bell alone since this would up the cost a lot. I might also do this on a YTR 4335 since they are cheaper and come with a heavy weight gold brass bell and will lend themselfs to the darker and more melodic sound of a cornet once the other changes are made! Mind you this is all theory but it is grounded in solid practical idea's based on playing botha cornet and trumpet. You might have to have the bell tail shortened as you increase the length of the leadpipe itis all going to depend on what intonation issues crop up. You can buy a generic replacement Cornet leadpipe from Votaw Tools for under $35 I think. It comes filled with pitch so you can bend it but if you where going to put it on a trumpet you wouldnot need to bend it. Also you wouldhave to decide if you wanted to use a cornet shank recivr or a trumpet style one.
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've gotten some good advice here. I would stick with getting the curry TC or TF. However, that is more of a compromise than a solution. I think You're best bet, if you're looking for a specifically cornet sound, is to wait a while for a good used one to pop up at a reasonable price.
hiandlo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Trumpet to Cornet Reply with quote

I bought a flugelhorn to trumpet adapter and sometimes use my Stork 6FL flugelhorn mouthpiece with the trumpet. I found it gives a much warmer sound to any of my trumpets, even the brightest sounding horns. But I had the most success using it with the UMI Benge, which is a large bore trumpet. (By the way, I also own a cornet, not an expensive one and use a Stork Vacchiano 3C cornet mouthpiece with it.......Nice sound! And this is a Bach student model cornet).
Schilke B7
DEG Signature model cornet

"Those who fail to prepare should prepare to fail"
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Conn 48A vs Conn 48B Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
There were lots of differences. The 48A was a .467" bore, while the 48B was a .458". The 48A had a dual-bore tuning slide -- .458" on top, .467" on botttom, while the 48B had a straight-bore tuning slide. The proportions were subtly different -- the valve section on the 48A was farther forward than on the 48B. The 48A had a faster bell flare than the 48B.

In short, the 48A had a completely different bore profile than the 48B. They were certainly shaped very similarly and shared styling cues like the faceted valve casings and art-deco waterkeys, as well as the beadless "Vocabell," but I would characterize them as completely different instruments.

Ty for that useful info above. But - more importantly - do you, or does anyone, know if the 48A & B differ in sound, if played with the same mouthpiece cup, & similar style backbores ?

Ty in advance - !

Jeremy Mush1
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realise this thread is at least a decade old?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
You realise this thread is at least a decade old?

Proudly bringing dead threads back to life !

Jeremy Mush1
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: