• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trio of Daily Calisthenics

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I want to know what time of the day will be the best to practice these exercises? I have tried them at the end of the practice session but these are really a workout!! So I was wondering what Reinhardt recommended?
thanks!!
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanc wrote:
Hello,
I want to know what time of the day will be the best to practice these exercises? I have tried them at the end of the practice session but these are really a workout!! So I was wondering what Reinhardt recommended?
thanks!!

In my opinion, the pencil and jaw retention drill work best after an hour's rest following the completion of my warm up. So: warm up, rest an hour, then calisthenics. Then rest a little while after that too before picking up the horn again. It's very important to remember, never do the pencil trick or jaw retention drill before a performance. On performance days, do them after the performance, and try to wait about at least an hour or two after the performance to let the muscles recuperate before finally doing them. But experiment a little, and see what works best for you.

Buzzing is a different story. Buzzing is fine almost any time, as long it won't tire out your chops and/or facial muscles. The demands of your warm up can affect this as well. If my current warm up is long and strenuous, it's better to do the buzzing before I pick up the horn, and the other calisthenics after. If I'm working a lot and doing lighter warm ups, I do the buzzing after my warm up. Dave Sheetz once told me it can help to have the first thing you do be playing the trumpet, but he also told me if you're going to buzz on a gig day, it's fine and often good to buzz before a gig, but he recommended doing it as far ahead of the gig as possible, so you have plenty of rest.

I've also done all of the calisthenics together before bed, after I had finished practicing on the horn for the day. This actually can work great, but it for me worked much better when again my playing day had been on the lighter side. Buzzing after too much heavy playing can really tire out your chops and facial muscles, so try to avoid that. Strangely, though, I have done it when I got home after a gig and it worked great sometimes, as long as my chops weren't too tired, but I haven't done that in years. Hope this answered your question!

P.S. I think Reinhardt recommended simply that you can do them any time, as long as they're not right up against a playing session. But, hopefully someone who actually studied with Reinhardt and asked him this question can chime in on that because I don't know what he recommended beyond that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: