• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roy Poper on Stamp at ITG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetrich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Roy Poper on Stamp at ITG Reply with quote

Anyone attend Roy's Stamp warm-up session?

Thoughts?
jacktrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Roy Poper on Stamp at ITG Reply with quote

trumpetrich wrote:
Anyone attend Roy's Stamp warm-up session?

Thoughts?

Guess I'll have to go out of lurker mode since nobody else is jumping in. I went and it was cool. From a playing perspective, I didn't really learn much new because the Stamp book along with his Roy's guide explain things pretty well. It was still good to hear things from Roy because I feel more confident that I am pretty much approaching this stuff correctly.

He did mention one thing that's not in the books though. He said that if you have trouble with lip buzzing, try backing off and not forcing too much air through the lips. Roy mentioned that he got that tip from Malcom Mcnab.

He also talked about what a great teacher Stamp was. That was very interesting. He was talking about them going to Switzerland and the first year they hired a bunch of translators and the next year they didn't because Jimmy was such a great teacher that he could teach without using words.

I can't remember much else because the week was so full and I took in everything that I could. Maybe someone else will chime in. I will say that I enjoyed Roy's presentation very much and also enjoyed meeting him. He seems like a really super nice guy and great teacher.

Jack
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did - sorry I didn't see this question earlier. Roy took the whole group of us through some of the routine. Like the previous post said, the insight that you want a sound with some 'crackle' in it - some air in the sound - rather than an uber-tight thick bzzzzz - was very helpful. Also that your goal isn't to attain a tight lip buzz, transfer that to the mp, and then transfer that to the horn -- it would be WAY too tight. As you move from lip buzz to mp buzz to the horn, you relax your chops more at each step along the way. By the time you're on the horn your chops inside the cup are relaxed enough that if you pull the mp off the horn while playing, the buzz stops.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhbailey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended Roy's workshop on Stamp, and as a comeback player I can only say that it has turned my trumpet playing around. I wasn't able to do a whole lot that morning, but I noticed the rest of the day that I was able to play things I hadn't been able to play for quite a while.

I've been doing the Stamp warm-ups since then everyday and it is making a huge difference in my playing.

I thought Roy explained things excellently, even for a person who was totally unaware of the Stamp warmups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: